The benefits of combat training and the progress I made after a 2 hour long training session with Veteran bots.

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: The benefits of combat training and the progress I made after a 2 hour long training session with Veteran bots.

in reply to TheSurgeon83

I never thought of using theater mode that way.  That is a great way to familiarize myself with my own bad habits.  I do like HC but I sometimes shoot teammates when I get surprised at corners.  I'm still learning to approach corners more carefully to prevent this...

Level 2

Re: The benefits of combat training and the progress I made after a 2 hour long training session with Veteran bots.

in reply to TheLilikoiJuice

Try some combat training where you turn off aim assist and make it headshot only. Not only does it improve your aim but you learn better ways to move around the maps. When I do that for 2-3 hours then turn on aim assist and go back into a public match it feels much easier!

Level 5

in reply to cdogmx

This would probably be something I do after I get used to the general aspects of the game, haha.  I could imagine that headshot aiming practice is a great way to improve accuracy!

Level 2

I wouldn't use bots on Veteran, the reason is because their gunskill becomes very aimbot like and very unlike your average online player.  The bots should be no more than moving targets so I personally find it's best to leave them on regular and simply put more of them on the opposing side. Typically I have 3 on my side Vs 8 on the other. Bot practice is great for learning maps, class combos and weapons but above all it improves your aim and reload management. It deffo helped me become a good player in BO1 (my first COD).

Level 7

in reply to Datura1

I have to agree that the veteran bots were too accurate and unnatural... I'll definitely play on the one below veteran or maybe even below that.  I think my aim has improved because I know what to expect with some of the weapons I have been tinkering with.  Yes! I'm also MUCH more aware of reloading after shooting someone.  I can't count the number of occasions I started shooting someone and realized I only had a few bullets left...

Level 2

I was playing with BOTs last night on Veteran because PSN was down in my area and you are right that they are aimbots.  And they will actually pull off of shooting another bot and go after you if you get within about 20 ft of them.  They are definitely harder than most online players but they do make for a good challenge.

Level 69

I'm not game to use bots or custom games and risk getting hit by the derank glitch.

This annoys me as a chunk of the game is dead to me.

I have zero confidence that the glitch is fixed and if deranged 3arc will restore my stats.

Sad but true.

Level 44

in reply to gallp13

gallp13 wrote:

I'm not game to use bots or custom games and risk getting hit by the derank glitch.

This annoys me as a chunk of the game is dead to me.

I have zero confidence that the glitch is fixed and if deranged 3arc will restore my stats.

Sad but true.

Good news, you will categorically NEVER get hit with the derank glitch so long as you play bots via "Custom Games", you can only go to Custom Games once you've logged onto the servers by choosing "Xbox Live" and moving into the multiplayer menu (the one showing player population count etc).

The derank ONLY occurs if you go through the menu screen prior to the one mentioned above and select "Local", its the menu with the following options:

Xbox Live

System Link

*Local* <<< (the deranking culprit - avoid!)

Options

If you go through the above menu and select "Local" and play bots through that you WILL risk a derank. Many get stung by it because we all occasionally get hit with the "Servers are Busy" message on this screen when selecting "Xbox Live", so rather than twiddle our thumbs till we get access to the servers many choose Local>Bots to kill time which results usually in an unfortunate derank of sorts.

Avoid Local and play bots via Custom Games only. I've played (and continue to play) bots via Custom Games and done so many hundreds of times with no issue. When I played bots via Local only a handful of times I got hit with derank twice! Learned my lesson.

Level 7

in reply to Datura1

Thank you for this information. Much appreciated.

gallp

Level 44

Hmm.  I never much bothered with combat training because this game includes the Fresh Start option, which is a godsend to anyone who cares about presenting at least somewhat respectable stats to the world.  You can experiment and fool around in public matches getting a feel for what works, never mind your K/D and W/L.  Once you get to the point where you've found some setups you enjoy and you're regularly going positive in games, do a stat reset and proceed from there.

Level 7

Studios