The Grinder

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

The Grinder

So, I recently posted about how much fun I had in the quest for Diamond Camos on my Assault Rifles. Don't get me wrong, had several frustrating moments along the way, but I also enjoyed the ride. I had so much fun doing it, that I decided to try it on my SMGs.

Fast Forward to today. Still on the hunt for Diamond Camos with my SMGs. and it is making me lose my freaking mind.

It boggles my mind when I see threads about how "Overpowered" the SMGs are on here based on my experiences with them. For those who don't know, I play HC exclusively, pretty much TDM all the time since there is no HC DOM, and the occasional game of HC KC. My history in Call of Duty has always been as an Assault Rifle user primarily, mixing in a few SMG and LMG classes along the way. This is the first game in a long time where I've felt the desire to branch out and try the different weapon classes, whoever came up with idea of the Diamond Camo challenge should be commended. I play for fun, but I also love a challenge, so the camos are right up my alley.

I have been frustrated with how inconsistent the SMGs seem to be. Even in Hardcore, I seem to get an inordinate amount of hitmarkers, and even with the long barrel on I never know what I am going to get from range. Sometimes a few quick shots will garner the kill, other times I can empty the entire clip and its like I am pelting them with ping pong balls.

Don't get me wrong, some of the SMGs seem to me to be superior weapons. The Peacekeeper I have finished already, took me only Double XP weekend to finish that, and quite easily. The PDW is done as well, not as easy to me as the Peacekeeper but went relatively quick.

I am currently working on the Skorpion EVO, and its making me want to pull my hair out. Finally got done with headshots and working on Cherry Blossom right now. The gun is schizophrenic, I swear. Sometimes its completely dominant, other times its a pea-shooter. Been messing around with attachment combos. Long Barrel sometimes seems to help. Laser Sight sometimes helps (though sometimes it just makes me look like an idiot spraying the air while they shoot me in the head). I finally gave in and took a friend's suggestion and equipped the Target finder (how brainless do you have to be to use this device?) to help get the last 10 or so headshots. As for the rest, I have worked on my ChiCom CQB a bit but need to focus more on it. The MP7, MSMC, and Vector are started but again I need to spend time with them.

My frustration boils down to the fact that since I have been working on these SMGs, I have endured more negative matches and more losses. While I have had a few monster matches, it seems even when I DO go positive with them I also get a lot of deaths.

So I ask you all a few questions. Am I the only one finding these things extremely frustrating? Has anyone gone through this challenge, and what kinds of things did you do to make it work for you? How did you change your playstyle to accomplish this? Any tips on potential setups for the SMGs I mentioned that I haven't finished (Skorpion, Chicom, MP7, Vector, MSMC)?Even if you didn't struggle with it, for those of you who excel with them as a primary weapon, what advice do you have for someone who is trying to be effective?

I ask politely that connection issues stay out of this discussion. I know when connectivity comes into play and effects me either getting the kill or failing to do so. Not needed here. Thanks for your consideration, and in advance for the advice. Feel free to vent if you have had similar frustrations

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
72 REPLIES

Re: The Grinder

in reply to NiceDrewishFela

SMGs were my easiest class to diamond in HCKC, the PDW MP7 and MSMC are all the same pretty much. I used a red dot for headshots, thats it. The Scorpion is the worst HC SMG, its totally overrated and definitely a core gun. I used a Foregrip extended mag. Chicom takes a while to get used to, red dot on that as well. The vector is pretty bad as well, I used a red dot and long barrel. As for perks Lightweight Blindeye Dexterity Engineer are what I use for my SMG classes, no perk 2. Just fly around the map flipping the spawn as much as possible.

Level 25

in reply to NoLifeKing29

KC may be a good idea for working on these SMGs. I play mostly TDM and any long range engagement I just get owned.

As for the Skorpion, been hating life while working on it. I have decided to just use it exclusively until I am done. Played on Turbine with it today and did well, even though my team lost. One crybaby on the other team started talking about how the Skorpion is a "noob" gun(He was trying to sit in corners/head-glitch with an AN94, by the way). I was just like "Dude, if you only knew what I have been through working on this gun."

I hate it, it is by FAR the most inconsistent weapon I have used in this game. Looking forward to the MP7 and MSMC, the times I have used them I have gotten good results. ChiCom and Vector are going to be a grind.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

There are more kills to be had in KC, more kills lead to more headshot opportunities. The EVO is awful in HC. Foregrip extended mag is what i found to be the best combo. You can throw primary gunfighter on and attach a red dot for headshots.

Level 25

in reply to NoLifeKing29

Good advice, I appreciate it. I am almost done with Cherry Blossom then will do Art of War... the other challenges are nearing completion in the meantime. Headshots were a bear with that thing.

Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

in reply to NoLifeKing29

Hey, playing KC and racking up the Headshots. Thanks for the tip.

Activision Ambassador

Skorpion and Chicom were sort of a pain.  I did feel like I got a lot better with them.

Level 17

in reply to Griefbot

I think that is what is frustrating me with the Skorpion. There were ARs that I struggled to use at first that I gradually got better with to the point I was dominating with them. I could see my progress, like with the SMR.

The Skorpion is just a mystery to me. Some games I just can't be stopped. Others I will polay well but get nothing but hit markers. Bullets will just seem to go through guys. I can't seem to gauge my progress with it, it just seems so schizophrenic.

Activision Ambassador

you have a million tips here.   I tried a lot of stuff as I struggled with the skorpion, but finally settled on using extended mags,laser sight, and fast mags for the bloodthirsties and headshot parts.  

The hardest part was trying to learn not to ADS.  Spraying with the laser sight is super effective and the extended clip helps a ton.

Level 17

I was gonna recommend the same thing. Play HCKC also if I am not mistaken the art of war is either 150 no perks or attachments correct? I know when I have done my no perks and attachments I did them both at the same time. Easier that way. Just sayin

Level 9

Studios