TV vs Monitor

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: TV vs Monitor

in reply to SitRepPro
Level 7

in reply to Foxman3501

Foxman350 wrote:

You never know they are trying : http://kotaku.com/5932859/the-case-for-video-games-as-an-olympic-sporthttp://

Squash isn't an Olympic sport (though I think it should be).  Karate isn't an Olympic sport until Rio comes along I think so I wouldn't overly rely on activities they have.  The Olympics may have broadened the definition of sport in their eyes by having shooting as one of their events, though I think the IOC view chess as a sport.  I imagine chess players view it as a game more than a sport.  It's not just shooting though.

With sport I see physical exertion being an important factor but it need not be on the extreme scale like 'strongman' events.  It's like darts, that's not a sport.  Nor is snooker, pool or 3 cushion billiards.  They're games.  Show jumping is an Olympic sport but there's more physical exertion required on the horses than the people riding them.

There's nothing wrong with being good at or being interested in a game.  The distinction between a game and sport is not distinguished on perceived 'worth' but physical fitness.  I'd rather the Olympics add existing sports and I think gaming can have their own Olympics.  I'm sure the popularity of video games need not rely on the Olympics to setup worldwide events.  Aerobics isn't a sport as far as I know but that sure can be a hard workout.

Level 31

in reply to SitRepPro

Actually funny that you mention chess, fun fact :

Dr. Robert Sapolsky states that: 

… [with] chess masters in the middle of a tournament, they are going through six to seven thousand calories a day thinking. [They are] turning on a massive physiological stress response simply with thought and doing the same thing with their bodies as if they were some baboon that’s just ripped open the stomach of their worst rival — it’s all with thought.

Level 7

in reply to Steve2589

you want to use a monitor, it has less lag, and your eyes get less tired.

Level 15
Highlighted

in reply to Steve2589

I play on a Benq RL2450HT with sub 1 frame of input lag and a 2ms response time. BO2 looks good on it and I game on the RTS preset. The preset basically makes dark areas of the map look more visible giving you a bit of an edge. I have this monitor for a month now and my monthly KD shoot up to 2.04 since i made the switch. Placebo or not, I think it gives me an advantage.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-RL2450HT-Professional-Gaming-Monitor/dp/B006HIKIP6

Level 35

in reply to Steve2589

I use a 28" PC monitor most of the time.  I cant see as well on TV for some reason.

Level 17

Studios