Skill Based Matchmaking - My Experience

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Skill Based Matchmaking - My Experience

Hello community,

I just wanted to share my experience with Skill based matchmaking. I play Free for all about 90% of the time since MW2 and have become pretty good at it. I started playing BO2 and wasn't doing as well as in past games. I thought, "No biggie, it's still a new game and I need to make some adjustments." After a week of still not getting any better, I learned about the skill based matchmaking and it made sense. I'm level 50 on my 2nd prestige and  about everyone in the lobbies I join is at least on there 1st prestige with above 300 SPM. Usually 3-4 prestige. They're good! I can compete with them but I rarely win a match whereas in MW3, BO1, and ESPECIALLY MW2 I would win about 95% of all the FFA's I was in.

After learning this I went to my friends list and found someone playing FFA who was only a level 23 no prestige and joined there lobby. I went 30-3 the first time and one every game after that by at least 15 kills. It was a massacre.

My opinion on the subject is that I preferred the variety. I don't want to always be playing with really great players ALL DAY. I want some great players, some good ones, and some OK ones like it's always been. Isn't that why we have league play?

This isn't a huge issue for me as I am still enjoying the game, I'm just not doing anywhere near as well as I used to.

Anyone have any feedback or thoughts? Is everyone expereincing this as well?

Level 2
31 REPLIES

Re: Skill Based Matchmaking - My Experience

in reply to Cronkd

Struggling to understand why people are complaining about this.

Level 5

in reply to chrissy_

Treyarch is also struggling to understand that not everyone wants to play like a Pro. That's why the League Play is a disaster. It's decent but it's a disaster. Just look at the number of people playing on it.

Level 35

in reply to Run_N_Gunning_C

It's not fair to us, the one's who suck at the game to alway's get people who don't want to play with people their own skill level. I'm tired of going 7-16 because of all the spawn camper's and the people who use people with my skill level to get into a game their tired of losing.

Level 3
Highlighted

in reply to Immortaltater

How do you think I got better? I once sucked, too. I put on the time and got better and better over the course of several years of playing FPS games. What Treyarch is doing is that they're basically making a walled playground for the lesser skilled at the cost of connection.

I'm a casual gamer and although I can hold my own, I don't want to play against people of my skill level game after game. I want variety.

Level 35

in reply to Run_N_Gunning_C

One of the problems with it, at least in FFA, is that when you have 8 people in a lobby that are all above average players, EVERYONE is spawn killing. In free for all there are only so many spawn spots and the good players catch on VERY quickly and they spawn kill. Obviously map size plays a part in this, but in the past few COD's there was 1 or 2 players in a lobby that would spawn kill. Now, 8 players are all spawn killing each other and it just gets stupid. If you don't know where to look AS SOON as you spawn, you're dead.

I already need a DLC just so I can have 2 days with new maps where everyone hasn't learned the spawns yet.

I guess I got a little off topic as the spawning is a different issue then the matchmaking.

Level 2

in reply to Cronkd

I just get tired or always being in tryhard mode. I just hope they tweak it some how...

Level 23

in reply to Cronkd

I agree with you variety is the key. As you've said, you're able to bypass the skill based matchmaking and once everyone catches on it will be come less effective (in team based games have a low stat party leader do the search).

The real downside to it is that because they're using it as a factor in matchmaking it affects your connection, and as we can see its not good.

Level 9

in reply to Cronkd

This is why when im in a party with my friends whoever has the worst stats hosts.

Level 2

in reply to Cronkd

I say Treyarch should stop playing mommy to the lesser skilled. I still suspect that the majority of the lag problems has to do with the skill based matchmaking. I'm getting people from mexico and I'm up here north in Toronto. Like you, I want a variety of players on my playlist and not just clones of myself. I want more variety like getting into an easy lobby, then a challenging one next round. Right now, it's all challenging lobby after challenging lobbies and victors of the game is determined by whose team got more people on the good side of lag.

Level 35

Studios