never ever reboot the bt modem

as dlm will think there is a problem and take you off fastpath

you can reboot the home hub as much as you like

Level 6

Re: Ping Times and Lag Compensation Analysis

in reply to Shonk

shonk wrote:

and you should get fastpath

I would NEVER advise anyone to switch to fastpath, I'm surprised with your knoweldge of adsl connections would even suggest it.

If you add fastpath to your connection yes you will slightly lower your ping as the dslam passes your packet to the first hop without error correction.

The downside of this and a major con for gamers is the slight decrease you get on your ping times is wiped out as you will increase the amout of dropped packets and loss of line stabilty and ability to sync to servers on the internet. (this will impact on things like streaming for example)

In a game like Call of duty that uses the UDP protocol (which has a approx 5% packet loss associated to it anyways) doing anything that can increase this is bad and will actually see your gaming expereince deteriorate .

While ensuring you are connected to a host and have a low ping is the basis of matchmaking, thats only one aspect of the whole mechanism , theres no point knocking 5 off miliseconds off your ping if you then still cant play due to line quality and transmission qualiy going tits up.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Firstly i didnt advise him to go onto fastpath

i said if his line was capable of it dlm would auto set it

Secondly Fastpath doesnt cause a mass of errors like you state

if your line is capable

My line lengh is 900m lets look at my error rate

RSUnCorrectedErrorsDn                          = 40
RSUnCorrectedErrorsUp                          = 16
Linkuptime                                     = 2 day 16 hr 56 min 6 sec

Downstream CRC0 Error Rate one packet every 97.4 Mins

Upstream CRC0 Error Rate one packet every 243.5 Mins

also a CRC0 error doesnt result in a dropped packet it results in a retransmit, which in my case is a 3ms penalty from the dslam to the modem

Also the use of udp doesnt mean that you will get 5% dropped packets, I can assure you my udp dropped packet rate is 0%

5% is a quoted average across the internet due to poor isp's peering, overloading etc..

e.g. virgin media customers when virgin's main linx peer is overloaded drops packets like there's no tomorrow

e.g. 3g users are a huge portion of this 5% figure due to timeouts that are treated as a loss but in reality just turn up very late 4000ms and such

e.g. people on dodgy wifi connections causing masses of dropped packets before they even leave the house

Level 6
Highlighted

in reply to Shonk

shonk wrote:

Firstly i didnt advise him to go onto fastpath

i said if his line was capable of it dlm would auto set it

Secondly Fastpath doesnt cause a mass of errors like you state

if your line is capable

My line lengh is 900m lets look at my error rate

RSUnCorrectedErrorsDn                          = 40
RSUnCorrectedErrorsUp                          = 16
Linkuptime                                     = 2 day 16 hr 56 min 6 sec

Downstream CRC0 Error Rate one packet every 97.4 Mins

Upstream CRC0 Error Rate one packet every 243.5 Mins

also a CRC0 error doesnt result in a dropped packet it results in a retransmit, which in my case is a 3ms penalty from the dslam to the modem

Also the use of udp doesnt mean that you will get 5% dropped packets, I can assure you my udp dropped packet rate is 0%

5% is a quoted average across the internet due to poor isp's peering, overloading etc..

e.g. virgin media customers when virgin's main linx peer is overloaded drops packets like there's no tomorrow

e.g. 3g users are a huge portion of this 5% figure due to timeouts that are treated as a loss but in reality just turn up very late 4000ms and such

e.g. people on dodgy wifi connections causing masses of dropped packets before they even leave the house

Yes it does,

end of the day you have always said the opposite of what i do no change there.

5% is an average and its one thats considered a industry standard for udp thats a fact. and thats a fact since long before 3g and everything else you are citing.Mosy internet based applications are designed to allow foe this

oh and btw posting all that stuff above...totally pointless and you know it is (giving you the benifit of the doubt on your claim to be a networking expert) as you know full well UDP doesnt register as erros or dropped packets as it isnt like tcp/ip which makes a direct connection between points and there is no built in error or logging capabilities in the headers.

End of the day fastpath IS not a good move for anyone wanting a smooth expereince gaming online. That is a fact

But you're are fully aware of this fact so i dont know why you are just arguing for the sake of arguing.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

ofc it registers as a crc0 error all traffic be it tcp or udp is encapsulated by the dslam

so the traffic type makes no difference at all

as its encapsulated by either point to point protocol over atm or mac encapsulated routing etc..

Level 6

in reply to Arcst3r

Unfortunately all of my experience is with the search on 'best' - 'normal' is an absolute no-go

Level 3

in reply to flobot841

I have a good ftth connection. This game is unplayable as host. As soon as the host leaves and it picks me the game becomes worse, always. It's occasionaly better when not host, not always though. There's no point in supplying ping tests as there's too much disparity. Best doesn't help and the matchmaking is bad.

I'm never on the good side of anything in this game. They still haven't changed .27 yet since saturday and that's only made it worse for me. They also still haven't bothered to own up and address to the connectivity issues.

If you're having a good experience, fine, I'm not.

Level 16

in reply to flobot841

Lol, I made a thread kinda like this but I asked "who is actually benefitting from this?" If it helps your thread out any, I do not benefit (except in maybe 1/25-30 games) with a 80-110ms Ping, 15-20 Down, and a 2-6 Up. I've had identical issues to people with amazing internet. I've watched videos on it to be sure.

Also on my Grandparent's DSL, which has 1.2 Down and .45 Up and 170ish Ping. I had 2 bars and the game was unplayable. The only connection I have yet to play on is a solid <30ms Ping connection so I can't say anything there but it looks like you guys have the same issues.

Maybe everyone is hurt by this form of Lag Comp and its rotating?

Eny
Level 2

Yes, to be honest I'm more confused that when I started the thread.

A few observations I have made -

it seems my 17-25ms ping is actually pretty decent (I had assumed it was only average) with only super fast connections ahead of it.

At least one person with a very fast connection and one with a slower connection have posted as said that they are struggling the same, so the problem seems to be one of inconsistency rather than an obvious flaw.

Finally, I guess those people that are benefitting don't see the need to come on the forums! All of our experiences hint thta somebody is benefitting because there are a lot of easy kills just on me alone...

I'm just waiting to boot up later and maybe see a game update waiting... here's hoping.

Level 3

I'm in the US, and in new england / east coast.    ive got 25 down 5 up i get like 1-2 ms ping to my closest 10 miles, 10 -15 ms to NYC 250 miles, and 30 -50ms to LA 2500 miles.     i'm not really experiancing much lag, or lag comp.   on a couple of occasions the killcam showed i was a little behind,   but so far the experiance has not been terible.conversly on only a few occasions have i ever felt unstopable.   so i would say i'm pretty even.

also i have yet to see any 2 bar connections in the lobbies i'm in,   always 3 and 4,   for some reason, sometimes i'm a 3, and other times 4, i asume its my connection to the host which varies?

changing to "best" search, and closest google DNS made a huge difference.

Level 2

Studios