Ping Times and Lag Compensation Analysis

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Ping Times and Lag Compensation Analysis

Hi Guys, out of interest I thought it would be good to collate some information about our ping times and where we stand with the lag compensation. That way we might get a better understanding of why we may be suffering.

Personally I measure a 17ms ping on pingtest.net and my experience is the worst I've had in a COD game to date. I honestly feel like I can't drop guy who is AFK.

I recently changed my xbox from wired to wireless, this puts my ping to around 26ms on my wireless network. This seemed to make the experience a little better.

Last night I was featured in the final killcam a few times - each time I noticed (as well as felt when achieveing the kill) that the first 2-3 bullets on target didnot register as hit markers. It then shows between 5-10 hits, all of which look clearly on target and show the hit marker x, before the enemy drops. This of course is more of a problem the other way around where an enemy team can appear to be formed of mlg pros in which I die without being able to touch my scuf gaming hair trigger to shoot back before I drop.

I'm aware that many people are experiencing this and would like to understand what impact different types of connection are having on the game.

Disclaimer for the trolls: this thread is intended to gather some useful information and understanding and is not me complaining because I am struggling. I truly believe that Treyarch will fix this, but perhaps our information can benefit them in some way.

Level 3
31 REPLIES

Re: Ping Times and Lag Compensation Analysis

in reply to flobot841

Im experiancing this as well. This CoD is the most inconsistant game I think Ive ever played. I can put half a clip into a guys chest, getting the damage indicator, then have the guy turn around and stab me. Watching the kill cam, it shows I never fired a shot. Other times, they drop like flies with 1-2 bullets.

I catch myself more than ever, stopping to reload after "knowing" Ive killed someone, then die and get a +25 assist from it.

Black ops 2 is horribly inconsistant in everything from deaths to weapon experiance. Unfortunatly people are turning away from the game in droves to go back to MW3 already because the game is "bullshit".

Level 1
Highlighted

in reply to flobot841

Dont waste your time, there are no magical Router settings that are going to Fix this issue, Its just like MW3 .

Save your time and sell the game , Move on.

Level 5

in reply to flobot841

I average like a 56 ping and download of 6 and upload of 1.2 or something. Pretty crappy internet but I'm suffering from lag comp so much. Worse than MW3.

Level 5

in reply to steve309

That is interesting - I was half expecting connections a bit slower to suffer less. It must be so inconsistent that there simply isn't a pattern to be found.

Level 3

in reply to steve309

So how exactly will lag comp affect you? lag comp affects the hosts (not that I see a problem with lag comp), not people with slower internet like you.

On topic, I dont think its lag comp thats the problem, when I host there is no issue (40 down 9 ish up and although it makes no difference imo my pingtest result is 5ms) the only issue I have is the game picking crap hosts sometimes.

I do search for the best connection on games now and 90% of the time I host or if I dont the host has a stable connection.

Level 19

in reply to whiteknight1902

here is my anecdotal experience.  i have time warner extreme internet(ping typically 20-25), gigabit router, ports forwarded, wired xbox, etc...

running like this i had all the aforementioned problems.  so i first changed my xbox ip from static to dynamic and stopped port forwarding.  my overall experience improved slightly but stil with plenty of wtf moments.

so i then unplugged the xbox and connected over wifi.  this improved my experience even more.  but its still not anything remotely close to smooth. 

if i knew how to further dumb down my internet i would.  this is crazy.

Level 4

in reply to stinklemange

74mg down 24 up 15ms ping zero packet loss and i cant kill anyone.

Level 8

You may have answered the question - if you don't understand people in this thread then you simply haven't seen the effect of the lag compensation system at its worst. Your 5ms ping is completely relevant - that is an excellent speed, with almost no lag.

It may hint that the system is currently favouring only very good connections. Lets see what others think though.

Level 3

I dunno. I know that I'm paying for better service than that, but that's what speedtest told me on one of my slower computers. IE on the xbox is instant compared to my desktop and it handles BF3 and all other games smoothly. It may not be lag comp, but I'm experiencing the second behind. Had it in mw3 too. BO1 was fine most of the time. I have 4 bars every game. So my internet may not be the greatest numbers, but I'm always getting 4 bars and all other games play fairly.

Level 5

Studios