Personal thoughts to combat lag comp. Can someone confirm if they did the same?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Personal thoughts to combat lag comp. Can someone confirm if they did the same?

I am thinking about slowing down my internet speed from Time Warner Cable Road Runner from the fastest to the slowest.  Has anyone intentionally decreased speed to have lag comp in your favor?  If so, can you speak of youre experience? 

This weekend was to a point in which no gun fights were fair.  Lag comp was never in my favor.  Not one game in which the gun fights were fair.

Will decreasing my internet speed from the fastest to the slowest help improve lag comp? 

Level 9
19 REPLIES

Re: Personal thoughts to combat lag comp. Can someone confirm if they did the same?

in reply to kemicalsupreme

I have Time Warner/Road Runner. I used to decrease my upload speed via QoS settings in my router from 1mb to like 750kb or even down to 500kb when playing MW3. It seemed to help some there.

I've done it a couple times on BO2, but it's been hit or miss. The lag wasn't worse neccessarily, but I didn't notice any considerable, consistent improvement from doing it.

Also consider leaving upload speed alone and setting up a static IP for your Xbox and forwarding the XBL ports to it. I did that, and since then, the game has run much better for me. Still have some unplayable matches, and most of the time 3bars are don't go very well. If I can get on a 4bar (or even fluxuating between 3 and 4 bars) I'm usually in good shape. But since I made that change, I've not had consistently unbearable hit detection/lag issues. It's been very playable, with the occasional WTF moments that are to be expected. I also use the Google DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4). Be sure to disable uPnP on your router if you do forward ports.

Also run a pingtest on pingtest.net and make sure you aren't showing any packet loss.

But at the end of the day, if your ping to the host isn't very good, or your ping fluxuates a lot (my TW line has some jitter) none of the above will really matter much.

Level 9

Re: Personal thoughts to combat lag comp. Can someone confirm if they did the same?

Everyone needs to just stop tinkering with these thing like QoS and lagging themselves out. Its only hurting everyone in the long run. Imagine if 10% of the gaming population was doing this... Decreasing your speed (im assuming you mean bandwidth) wont really do anything except reduce the chance of you being host. Host uses soemthing like .4Mbs of bandwidth and everyone else using a fraction of that. Its your ping that matters. From reading other posts similar to this, and you should have too, is that i learned Time Warner seems to throttle p2p. Id call them up and make sure this isnt happening first. Other than that it is ping that matter, not bandwidth. you want the best ping possible. Dont lag yourself out.

Level 5
Highlighted

in reply to cuddlemonster69

Having the best connection does not give you good lag comp. I want to change my connection, ping, etc.... to have lag comp in my favor.  At least more consistantly then 1 out of 15 games. 

Level 9

Yes it will, you just need to have better connection to the host than the other players. If yours is better than theirs you'll be fine. Trouble is that the 4 bar goes from 0-100ms, so you may have a 85ms ping to host where 1/2 the enemy team has 30ms ping and you just srcream lag comp. They need to get rid of the bars.

Level 5

you're actually probably better off looking in the direction of seeing if you can use a faster DNS server.  Especially with ISP's like Time Warner who have lots of customers, i guarantee you're just falling victim to traffic congestion on their network or their own DNS servers being bogged down at different times.  It's a maddening process of trying to stamp out an issue that really can't be fully solved.  Lag comp exists in pretty much every game in some form.  It's more noticable in CoD because of the nature of the network connections (P2P vs Dedicated Servers) for multiplayer and it's also a victim of its own fast paced gameplay.  Optimize, but don't throttle your bandwith. that just makes you as scummy as someone using a lag switch.

Level 2

in reply to l16ht

l16ht wrote:

Optimize, but don't throttle your bandwith. that just makes you as scummy as someone using a lag switch.

Disagree on this, unless by 'throttling' you mean intentionally streaming Netflix or downloading a torrent. But if you mean adjusting upload speed via router settings, it's his internet connection, his QoS settings. His business. No different than buying a lightning fast optic connection to get better gaming experience (which, sadly enough, on CoD is a death sentence! ). That's not the same as lag switching. Lag switching is blatant cheating that directly ruins other's gameplay. Adjusting settings that anyone has access to in their own router is not.

Level 9

in reply to l16ht

nothing to do with 'COD'.. try playing 'COD' 4 or 6 (MW1 & MW2) and then tell me it has anything to do with COD's system of hosting... Nonsense

Level 3

kemicalsupreme wrote:

I am thinking about slowing down my internet speed from Time Warner Cable Road Runner from the fastest to the slowest.  Has anyone intentionally decreased speed to have lag comp in your favor?  If so, can you speak of youre experience? 

This weekend was to a point in which no gun fights were fair.  Lag comp was never in my favor.  Not one game in which the gun fights were fair.

Will decreasing my internet speed from the fastest to the slowest help improve lag comp? 

what you refer to as speed is actually bandwidth, lowering that will make no difference at all unless you lower the upload bandwidth so you dont get host.

"Lag comp" to use the term everyone uses is based off of ping, altering your bandwidth will not affect ping

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

And to get a better ping is out of your hands, right?  It's up to the ISP?

Truthfully, I have found that logging off, resetting the router, and trying again works wonders.

Although, there have been times when the matchmaking is really to blame.

Level 28

Studios