My thoughts about "lag"...

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: My thoughts about "lag"...

in reply to jtenacious31

lol loved the bit about host migration "games got better" that prob because i pulled host for you and as i rarely rage quit prob why it was a good game the only time i realy rage is if the lobby full of campers no i dont hate them ut as im at a very big disadvantage i will not host a game for there pleasure sitting in corners stealing a kill when i have to work my row out to stay neutral in these games that plus im always party with freinds and i feel bad for jumping lobbys on them

Level 6

in reply to keeper82

Good written but you can't put all in one pot, everyone has a different connection, ping, location, tv and each lobby is different when the host changes. If you don't experience the lag issues then you must be lucky, its that simple.

I agree that many "lag compensation" videos are pointless and can be explained. Most people don't even understand what lag compensation is.

I've said it since the beginning, its the matchmaking and bad host selection that make this game not enjoyable, why even giving host to people who suffer while being host? i doesn't helps anyone. I personally don't suffer while being Host but others do while Hosting. Also the speed of the game has a huge impact on lag, CoD4 and MW2 have less lag because these games are slow in compare to the new CoDs.

Level 24

in reply to keeper82

keeper82 wrote:

My personal believe (feel free to disagree) is that most of the people complaining lag are just making excuses. 

I agree that there are likely some. Me: I am 47. Have a ton of FPS experience. I am not great but good as I balance real world with this one (ranged from 1.4-1.8 K/D over the COD titles).

Initially this game performed within my expectation and experience for online FPS. I started having intermittent issues with hit detection after the first TU. Became frequent enough that I Googled and found this site with others reporting nearly identical experiences. Validation is great however I play online to have fun and blow off steam and there are times where it simply is not conducive to either.

To be fair, I sometimes come out ahead of the hit detection issues and sometimes behind- neither of which I want. Just normal lag for online gaming and I am good.

I can assure you that for me empirically, there is a huge variance in my hit detection. Due in my opinion to the matchmaking algorithms they use. Who knows? I do know that something is wonky and it impacts my ability to enjoy what is otherwise a great game.

Level 12

in reply to keeper82

Ya I'm a whiner and suck and just complain. I mean first month of play I averaged 1.2 kd for 4000 kills and I complained the lag was bad and sucked. Then there was a TU and in december I averaged a 3.0kd and 380 spm for around 8000 kills. Then after christmas I'm around a 1.9kd and I'm feeling the lag come back. After DLC I'm down to 1.5kd for about 2000 kills.

It's just me. I decided after going 3.0 kd that I would start to suck. Makes sense?

or...

First month I had the disadvantage, then I went to 3.0 because I probably had an advtange then now I'm feeling the disadvantage again.

Maccabi and OP, you guys are probably pretty smart. But stop trying to put down people who complain about lag comp. We just use the name lag comp. I don't care if it's not called that. You know what I mean. I feel a second behind. Bullets don't hit. Blah blah. Too much writing and I think I sum it up when I say lag comp because that usually goes hand in hand with the problems I described.

Level 5

in reply to steve309

steve309 wrote:

Maccabi and OP, you guys are probably pretty smart. But stop trying to put down people who complain about lag comp.

It not a matter of putting people down, if people actually stopped  read what they posted and then thought hang on a minute  the post i replied to on here classic example..

same game works fine at friends house, doesn't at the posters.. same game same coe only difference is the posters own connection. but lets not go for the obvious when we can tar and feather lag comp.

im not saying people dont have issues , all i am saying is the majority of those issues have nothing to do with lag comp at all, but people will blame it.

Personaly id prefer it if we scrapped lag comp all together so all these people can go back to just complaining about lag, died round a corner ..lag, player shot you even though you shot first..lag .. welcome to the internet.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

Maybe they live in different locations. Maybe poster is in NYC and can find people. I don't know. All of December I averaged around 3.0 kd. Now its like 1.4 like in November. How does one explain that?

What I did notice was I felt behind in the months I did bad. The month I did good, it felt silly because I was dominant and people couldn't even get a shot off on me. It wasn't fun because I had an advantage.

I've played on amazing internet speeds and noticed the same issue and played on bad connection, same issue. It varies. If you don't have it, don't say we are dumb until you play at my house and perform the same at yours.

Level 5
Highlighted

in reply to keeper82

Lag is a problem for a few, and seized upon by many as an excuse.

Yes, occasionally you will get lagged out of a kill, it happens to all of us, and its happened in every single CoD to date. I cant help feeling people are just noticing it more due to having been with the series so long; the longer you stick with something, the more its nuances and foibles stand out.

For the few with genuine problems, I wish I could loan out my connection when I'm not on it

Level 31

in reply to Bielsalmighty

Bielsalmighty wrote:

I cant help feeling people are just noticing it more due to having been with the series so long; the longer you stick with something, the more its nuances and foibles stand out.

What? I notice it because I have played a lifetime (seemingly) of FPS online, know what to expect once I get the feel for new weapons and, when it varies greatly, have enough experience to say to myself: Self, wtf just happened?

I appreciate your perspective however for me personally it doesn't apply.QED, I have 22,960 kills. Monday my K/D was 1.67. Today my K/D is 1.65. Do you know how many poor connections and resultant poor games across mulitple opponents in TDM, K/C and Domination I had to play over two days to drop my K/D that much? I was literally unloading to the point of a reload in the hopes of surviving their 4-5 shot burst.

Note: I am not hung up on K/D but it is the only metric other than accuracy that I have to illustrate the point (my accuracy takes a hit when this nonsense is going on too but is not as apparent due to thousands of "rounds" fired).

Like most I have my occasional bad game, facing people simply better than me. Great. What I don't find fun is when the hit detection causes me to lose out the vast majority of the time against people who are frankly not as good a player (barely break even types). It is not my typcial experience based on years of play on the Xbox platform (original) and I have enough experience and am just good enough to know that I should generally win more than half of these engagements as a general rule.

Level 12

in reply to snorubit1

I never said that nobody has chronic issues, nor did I mean to imply that everyone is a nublet. Just that a lot of examples that get thrown up as proof of a broken game happen to be regular lag that happens in every game, not just this one. And I cant help feeling a lot of people who put up those examples are those who aren't necessarily vets like you, or extremely sensitive as to latency/timings as myself. One of the joys of being musical - if my hands input something, and it doesn't register straight away, I notice it.

Level 31

in reply to keeper82

FixBlops2, I have read of ton of your posts over the last few months.  Obviously going by your name, we all know you have a negative bias to this game.  (Also the fact that your telling people on a COD forum to download the new Crysis 3 demo says something as well).  However you do flip-flop a lot.  I read a post from you right after the DLC came out, talking about how much better the game was playing for you. 

Anyway, I don't consider myself lucky at all.  In fact I'm quite normal in the COD world.  There are millions of COD players out there, and most of them never even venture on to this forum because they have no need to.  Think about it.  If I was part of the "lucky" group (lucky meaning part of a very small and special group) and the normal group had so many problems with this game that they had to create a forum name referring to fixing the game.  This forum would be flooded with MILLIONS of players complaining about this game being unplayable.  And I can only imagine the phone calls to Activison... I'm sorry but that just isn't true.  These forums are dominated by few 100 or so very loud complainers, complaining about the same thing over and over again. 

I'm not picking on you in anyway or calling you a liar, however I believe a lot of the "problems" people have this game can be easily explained...  They are being outplayed.  Although not a huge sample size, I do run a clan with about 20 members ranging from Iowa to New York (I live in Indiana), I have never heard of any of my clan mates complaining about lag.  Maybe its because I live in America, who knows..

Keeper110

Level 1

Studios