My TV, Lag, & Blops 2

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: My TV, Lag, & Blops 2

in reply to greencoffin72

I bought a gaming monitor for a fraction of what a new TV would cost. I didn't think it would make much of a difference either but I am a believer now. The new TVs have so much going on you are bound to get some input lag. My TV, for example, is a Smart 3D TV. I went to it from a smaller flat screen and was frustrated because I just couldn't seem to get consistent results.

Switched to a gaming monitor and the results have surprised me. I am not saying everyone needs to do it, but it is something to consider for people who play a lot. Plus, I can watch TV on my big screen while I play.

I am not saying it cures all ills in this game. You are going to get laggy lobbies no matter what. But at least you are only fighting the connection lag and not the input lag, and that will give you the advantage more often than not.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador
Highlighted

If you're serious about gaming then dropping $ 200-300 on a good gaming monitor means nothing. It will really put you on an advantage believe it or not. I dropped $1000 on a pair of 7970 video cards just so I can play BF3 on its Ultra graphics setting at above 100 frames per second.

Level 35

in reply to Run_N_Gunning_C

I play a lot, but I'm not about to spend hundreds of dollars to get milliseconds.  The internet, TV, electronics are dynamic things.  Electricity is dynamic and never sustainable at very low levels consistently.  It is inherent of the electron within the atomic structure of all things. 

I highly doubt that anyone that is serious enough about gaming would be perusing the BO2 forums for hints on how to get better. 

I play for entertainment, as do a majority of peeps on these boards.

And dropping $1000 for a video game?  Ridiculous, IMO.  Save it or buy something useful.  I suppose if you have the money to blow, blow it.  Or pay some hooker to do it for you.....

Level 28

Asus was $145 with free shipping. Not thousands.

It is really all about preferences. I am liking this setup better. It is working better for me, and I like the layout better.

"You ain't gotta like me, you just mad,cause I tell it how it is, and you tell it how it might be" - Victory
Activision Ambassador

It makes a lot of difference, mate. A lot of encounters in CQC engagements goes down to where the difference is just one bullet. Having sub 1-frame input lag puts you a bullet ahead of someone with 40-60 ms input lag.

Level 35

in reply to foedusgratiae

I would not worry about it that much.

you can get a little input lag depending on the TV, but a lot of the stuff you will read about it is just being deflected by people who claim the game is fine because they are actually on the good side of the lag comp.

As long as their game is fine it must be your isp, TV or you just suck.

The game has bad network coding or whatever it is.  Some people have had an improvement since the update and others have found it's worse.

Try playing cod4, MW2 and just see how they play on your tv.  Even MW3 (I have heard it's been fixed finally) you should get a good feel for how the game should be playing.

Level 9

in reply to darkwitness

Hence my point.

Level 28

in reply to darkwitness

I do need to try other games. I just don't feel like paying for them when I just paid 60 for a new game. I did pick up BF 3 premium for 35 bucks. I've played it before with this tv and router set up and never noticed any problems. I did play blops 1 on this tv and dsl without problems. MW3 was unplayable and returned within a few weeks.

Level 5

I purchased an ASUS VS247H-P on Wednesday and could not believe how many more CQC 1v1s I am winning. Previously using an old Insignia 22" TV. IMO the $200 is well spent 

Level 4

You may not notice input lag, but for me it's a killer. If you ever have a chance to play on a monitor you should, I guarantee you'll notice the difference then. Once I switched to a monitor, the difference was incredible. So much more responsive.

Level 7

Studios