Matchmaking is the problem NOT lag compensation

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Matchmaking is the problem NOT lag compensation

in reply to mcdonamw

They did this in W@W and Blops. I used to set mine to search local only. Being from down under it was great in W@W after all the international games in MW1.

Level 5

in reply to goldy_hua

I'm in England and have matchmaking set to Best, so please tell me why it makes sense to put me in a lobby with three people from Japan, two from France, two from Germany, two from Portugal and only three of us are from England. I don't give a fuck if they're my skill level or not. There must be at least 50,000 people from England playing, MATCH ME WITH THEM

Level 9

in reply to cts55555

I think the search preferences only works for you when you're searching for a lobby to join.  Once you're in a lobby someone else looking for a lobby with "any" set for their preferences can find you.

Also I believe it searches for the connection between you and the host... it doesn't care about whatever people are in a party with the host so if they have friends invited and they are from other countries, you can still get matched with that host and his party.

Level 7

in reply to cts55555

This is all conjecture… but I believe that the match making process STARTS with the skill based search then it "tries" to finds the best connection among those people that have similar KD\SPM.

It’s the only explanation I have for being thrown in a lobby with 3 bar connections all the while we everyone’s SPM is within 100 points. 

Level 1
Highlighted

in reply to goldy_hua

goldy_hua wrote:

This is all conjecture… but I believe that the match making process STARTS with the skill based search then it "tries" to finds the best connection among those people that have similar KD\SPM.

It’s the only explanation I have for being thrown in a lobby with 3 bar connections all the while we everyone’s SPM is within 100 points. 

Yes but when have people from all of the world in a single lobby it adds to the latency.  Plus the guy you responded to did mention coutnries that are still quite well populated.  I don't know how many people in each country play BO2 online though.  I've seen an American say the same thing when he gets put into Mexican lobbies.

Level 31

in reply to goldy_hua

Matchmaking Patch in the Wings

First evidence comes to light for PC, consoles to follow?

@pcdev: Good morning! We are working on a patch, tweaking matchmaking, sorting through your tweets and posts, and always swinging the banhammer.

Source: twitter 29 Nov 2012

Level 44

in reply to gallp13

Only time will tell... but im hopeful that they can get it sorted out.

Level 1

in reply to goldy_hua

Im going to go out on a limb and guess that some matchmaking tweaks were made with this last patch. Since the patch I had nearly zero connection issues. I also noticed that the "skill" of the people I'm matched against appears to be more varied... played some really good players and some other players that still need a little practice Smiley Happy

I have about 2 days in the game and this past weekend was by far the most fun I had in this game.

Maybe it was a fluke. Maybe it's just a placebo effect of the new patch... But I really hope it keeps going this way.

Did other people see matchmaking/connection improvement following the latest patch?

Level 1

in reply to goldy_hua

Only using 3g now and it has been a lot better theres no way im using my fibre connection to be a penalised host for all of europe to kick my lag comp'd arse.

Level 5

in reply to dean66s

Since the Patch ive witnessed what

a 1 bar and a 2 bar connection looks like

Shame they have a huge advantage over me:

Got a feeling the answers is here :

http://community.callofduty.com/message/413709977#413709977

Level 9

Studios