Looking for sniping tips. LMG user trying out sniping

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Highlighted

Re: Looking for sniping tips. LMG user trying out sniping

in reply to ValleyYeti

I use Guardian, Lightning Strike, and Sentry Gun.    

Level 35

in reply to ValleyYeti

Im a 4.69 with the XPR so heres the ultimate setup

R870 with laser and longbarrel

Overkill

XPR with ballistics

Hardline, scavenger, engineer, betty.   run Hellstorm, lighting, sentry

enjoy

Level 34

in reply to CowboySr

CowboySr wrote:

Im a 4.69 with the XPR so heres the ultimate setup

R870 with laser and longbarrel

Overkill

XPR with ballistics

Hardline, scavenger, engineer, betty.   run Hellstorm, lighting, sentry

enjoy

thanks, cowboysr!  I do like the XPR.  ballistics makes a helluva difference.  i think your scorestreaks are a little ambitious for me.  I almost always run the low streaks (UAV, hunterkiller, CUAV) but maybe as i get better, I can bump them up a bit.

Level 10

in reply to ValleyYeti

The best part of running those kill streaks is they all come within 100 points of each other, meaning when you hit the first one, you are guaranteed to get the other 2.  As a sniper, thers nothing like having a sentry watch your back.  Of course Im talking about real sniping, not Crapscoping running around.

Level 34

in reply to CowboySr

Can't understand why you would waste a slot on I overkill considering how good the pistols are.

Level 16

in reply to ValleyYeti

Ballista silenced and fast mag

Blind Eye

Cold Blood

Awareness

Secondary: any pistol

Lethal: Claymore or Betty, more or less for an indication if an enemy is coming more than a killer.

Tactical: I usually use Flash or Conc but sometimes Shock Charges.

Happy Hunting.

p.s. Once you unlock the Iron Sights, have a blast! If you get good, your teammates will wonder what gun you're using, and you'll just have fun in general `

Level 6

in reply to ValleyYeti

If you want to practice sniping w/ less risk of nosediving your kdr, try using the SVU on hardcore.  With the lower health of HC and the rapid fire of the SVU, I find it is a much more forgiving experience.  However if you really want to improve using this method, you need to force yourself not to abuse the SVU's fire rate.  Force yourself to take your time, hold breath, line up your first shot, and pull the trigger once.  If you miss, so be it, the SVU will let you get off a bunch more shots before your enemy adjusts to your position, giving you that cushion you need to get that kill before you get deaded.  But really line up that first one so that when you switch back to core and use a slower, more powerful rifle, your habits and muscle memory will be beneficial.

Level 8

in reply to ValleyYeti

The XPR isn't bad, but it's got a lot of sway to it, and the same 1 hit kill area as the Ballista. (upper-chest, shoulders + head) The XPR is a little forgiving in this area since you can quickly pop off another shot, where the Ballista cannot.

With that said, the Ballista doesn't slow you down as much as the DSR or XPR,  it has a faster ADS, and it has the least amount of sway while in-scope (more accuracy). Still, it's a difficult weapon to use if you're new to sniping.  I would recommend the DSR-50, as it will give you a lot of kiills where the others will give you hitmarkers.

For the DSR-50, I would recommend spending a large amount of time in local matches against bots on recruit difficulty. Try small maps, with about 5-6 at first, and work up to 9 bots.

Try "drag scoping".  The DSR-50 is excellent at drag scoping compared to the other rifles. I have a few theories on this, but not worth mentioning. Just try it out yourself, and you'll see.  By the way, a drag scope is when you ADS, and immediately swipe + pop a shot.  It's intended to be a very fast motion, with little thought put into it.  At first, it's perfectly fine if you take your time with it. Speed will come later.  You will also ADS closer to your intended target as time goes on. Just make sure you always leave your scope before focusing on something new, or far away from your cross-hairs. It's much more efficient to leave scope, correct aim from the hip, and then refocus.

I recommend the following setup.

DSR-50 with Ballistics CPU + Laser sight.  The laser is great for knowing exactly where your rifle is aiming at before ADS, which brings me to another technique. Eventually, you will get so fast that you'll be able to correct your aim during the 0.4 second ADS delay.  Basically, you get an idea if you're to the right or left / above or below your target with the laser, and then you ADS + Drag Scope in one solid motion.  The end result looks like a quickscope, as your cross-hairs are usually on target by the time the scope is visible. Note, this takes quite a bit of practice. You can eventually drop the laser for fast mags, extended when this becomes second nature.

The DSR-50 is also much more enjoyable with LightWeight as Teir 1, as it slows your movement down quite a bit. It makes me feel much more nimble, and agile, as opposed to sluggish. If I'm playing Dom, I'll put on a Flak Jacket though.

My Teir 2 perks are Toughness + Fast Hands.  It's extremely difficult to ADS and shoot with a sniper if your being flinched, so Toughness is very useful.  Especially if you're in-scope and being shot, where even the smallest flinch can be the difference between landing a shot.

There's a lot of situations where players will suddenly appear up in your face, and Fast Hands will save your life every time. Especially if you're swapping to a pistol. Fast-Hands is also nice for tossing back frags, and using equipment quickly.

For Teir 3, I use Dexterity.  This is another perk that really helps snipers, as you already have a slow enough ADS time. If you don't feel like you'll be sprinting with your sniper out very much, then you might forego this for Tac Mask. I find that I'm constantly climbing ladders, and over objects trying to get to good sniping locations though, so that's also another bonus factor for Dex.

Hope that helps

Level 4

in reply to Houdnik

holy cow!!  thanks for the great advice!

Level 10

in reply to Houdnik

Great advice. I never thought of using laser. In fact, I've picked up dropped DSRs with lasers before and always wondered why people would put a laser on it - "Who'd hip fire a DSR?" is what I thought.

I practiced against bots - I picked up from there that the DSR ADS's slightly to the right of the hip fire point so if you aim a little left you generally end up on target when the ADS kicks in, which helped with quickscoping. Although I still suck and I'm not good enough to contribute to my team if I'm using a sniper rifle. I will try out the laser tip against bots. Seems like it would help people understand the aim mechanics.

Level 3

Studios