Lag in Black Ops 2 and what is causing it & solution

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Lag in Black Ops 2 and what is causing it & solution

in reply to FixBlops2

causes  : matchmaking lobbies to far away countries (uk plays spanish , italians and germans all the time now , this used to be a once in awhile problem on previous titles)

solution : local only

Level 18

in reply to simonm

they wont use region locking because of the lower player base in some regions where it would cause players not to be able to find a match. Previous game had it and it caused more problems than it solved.

Level 70

in reply to FixBlops2

What they need to do is kick anyone whose ping exceeds a certain number during the match. People in the same lobby should be no more than 25-50 ms ping difference. If you are outside of that you are in the wrong lobby.

Level 14

in reply to malditor

They are not ever going to do that becaue ping varies during the match, it does not remain the same all the time. A persons ping could easily vary that much depending upon outside factors not under their control. So they are not going to punish someone because of that reason.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

I'm not talking about short spikes, but sustained increases in ping. Either they punish *not my word, that's yours* the one person who's connection is causing issues or everyone in the match...

Level 14

in reply to trialstardragon

Actually someones ping should be stable all day long and should never vary much at all. I've been in the buisness for over 15 years outside working on the backbone of internet connections and I can say that unless someone interfers with your connection if you wake up with  35 ping you will go to bed with a 35 ping. I have data to back that up.

That's what makes a connection good is stablization. If somones connection isn't stable and jumping around there is an issue and there is good reason to boot them. Your ping shouldn jump by a great deal through out the day or even week.

Now mine, here at the hotel I am currently staying at cause I am out of town working, jumps around due to the crappy wireless they have here and I complain everyday, but that is an internal issue with their equipment.

A person at home on a wireless connection should still have  stable connection with out large lag spikes.

Level 9

in reply to blarkw

This has been my experience as well, and if there are a lot of spikes are extended duration increase in ping time it is either indicative of an issue with equipment or the person is artificially adding in delay to take advantage of the lag compensation code. That is why I suggest booting those who's ping jumps or drops outside of the range of the lobby.

Level 14

in reply to FixBlops2

It would seem this problem is made far worse by the "peer to peer" hosting used in this game - at least for XBL. The gameplay experience is made random by the fact that the host changes continually. As a result your ping will change , depending on the host from game to game , and so a player will lag/not lag depending on the variables (including lag compensation and the connection quality of other players) applied to the lobby depending on 1. who is host and 2. what the other player(s) stability/ping is like in that particular game.

I think that is the base complaint of many players - that their online experience is RANDOM depending on the variables on that particular player group - one game they own , the next they get owned , the next just so so. Because of this player skill is diminished as a relevant factor - which kinda makes it all a bit pointless guys. The lobby matchmaking system is a fail - we all know that - which is a shame because the game design is good.

The answer? - I thought dedicated servers , but I see PC players on that server type also report lag problems............????

The matchmaking she dun broke bro!!!!

Level 3

in reply to FixBlops2

It would seem this problem is made far worse by the "peer to peer" hosting used in this game - at least for XBL. The gameplay experience is made random by the fact that the host changes continually. As a result your ping will change , depending on the host from game to game , and so a player will lag/not lag depending on the variables (including lag compensation and the connection quality of other players) applied to the lobby depending on 1. who is host and 2. what the other player(s) stability/ping is like in that particular game.

I think that is the base complaint of many players - that their online experience is RANDOM depending on the variables on that particular player group - one game they own , the next they get owned , the next just so so. Because of this player skill is diminished as a relevant factor - which kinda makes it all a bit pointless guys. The lobby matchmaking system is a fail - we all know that - which is a shame because the game design is good.

The answer? - I thought dedicated servers , but I see PC players on that server type also report lag problems............????

The matchmaking she dun broke bro!!!!

Level 3

in reply to FixBlops2

If you experience unplayable lag more often than not then just play custom games. Tbh I've been doing that a lot lately with the bots set to veteran and it's hella fun. Bots are better teammates too but they will team kill you in HC if you are between them and the enemy. It's a relaxing way to enjoy cod if you don't need XP or just need a break from multiplayer.

Level 27

Studios