Host lag comp is out of control!

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Host lag comp is out of control!

in reply to asystole

Press the back button when the game starts.  If you are the only 4 bar then you are host.  Same way to figure out host for the longest time.  Halo, COD, GOW(except GOW3), etc. this works to find out host.

Level 16
Highlighted

in reply to JagerBite

The video is incorrect lets put the scenario to you...

I join a game mid way - not as host, bullets register and kill people and go 25 and 9. The next game, the host migrates right at the beginning and I pull host... I go 0 and 8 before dashboarding. Every kill is round corners - I watch killcam and according to the enemy i'm on their screen a good half a second before I see him.

Scenario 2 - Join a game, go about even as it's hijacked, but get a lot of kills as you do. If I remember it was about 22 and 21 I got... Anyways, next game I'm made the host on hijacked again.. I go 4 and 13 before dashboarding again running half a second behind.

So sorry, the host has no advantage whatsoever because they have everyones connection running through their modem, then falling victim to rewind time lag compensation - meaning my gameplay is constantly being set back by 100-500ms to compensate the lag - which doesn't obviously work, because my character sees people later than someone who isn't host!  Do these inept pathetic morons at Treyarch not understand this?

Level 7

in reply to Suicidal_Hitman

First off, the only games I seem to do very well in are when I am host. Most of the time i have to fight to stay even and I occasionally go slightly negative when I'm not host. Now with that being said, and this is gonna sound like I'm crazy but believe it or not I lag behind almost every player in games where the entire lobby has 4 bars!! Now you can think i'm nuts and it is all in my head but i am being dead serious. In games where I am a 3 or 4 bar and there are a couple of other 3 or 4 bars I seem to have the least amount of lag, and in games where everyone is a 4, I start rubberbanding, my screen shows others running in place and I get killed before I can draw my gun, (especially on hijacked as of a couple days ago). I'm not sure what the reasons for this is however I know it is not my connection.So let the trolling begin if you must, however this is really happening from my pov.

Level 9

in reply to filthy3627

Yeah. I have the same in my games.

Level 4

in reply to Suicidal_Hitman

If you are having a disadvantage while being host it means your connection is not up to par. Somewhere in your internal network or external(you cannot really control) there is an issue.

I get host ocassionally and I only have dsl. When I do I only have issues if playing people out of country, if they are within the US and only a few states away it works fine for me and my connection is only 3mb down .75mb up with an average ping of about 130ms with maybe 3ms jitter at times. Even those that really means nothing since what my console gets is not the same as what my laptop gets because of how they are connected.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

Hey tsd you just made it into the below average group. Many of us that you disagree with are in the above average group. Connection groups. We assume and yes you can pick holes in that, that the thresholds for this game works at optimum for the majority average connection and us minority above average connections get problems like host disadvantage.

We're happy the game works so well for you we really are. Let's not be selfish now though and appreciate that other people have different connections/matchmaking/experiences.

Level 16

in reply to Ss78_

The problem is that those that assume that paying for a higher priced isp package means they should get a better game than someone that does not.

If people would stop saying I pay for xyz package the game should be abc for me than things maybe would ever be taken a bit more serious by the devs. But for as long as everyone cries that their xyz connection is not better than someone elses and it should be because they paid more.. well the devs are not really gooing to ever listen to those complaints that much or take them serious.

The so called host lag issue only really comes in to play when matchmaking places you with players too far away. When you get a good local or close by lobby there is no disadvantage at all and in fact the host gets an advantage at that point.

I had a match where I was host on overflow, I basically was tearing up the other team and I am just an average player at besst. My k/d at the end of the match was way higher than anyone else in the lobby. Yet had I not been host that would have been a different story.

Level 70

in reply to trialstardragon

I think you have found one of those worms that spilt out of that can.

• The so called host lag issue only really comes in to play when matchmaking places you with players too far away

Now matchmaking should not be connecting players with people who are so far out of their region the gameplay becomes and issue.  Of course matchmaking - set on BEST when searching - should try and place players into lobbies that are closer at the sacrifice of search time.  This is obviously not happening considering that people who have taken all the steps to insure a good quality connection are receiving anything but.  One can only assume that matchmaking is MISplacing players.  Nor should the game choose the quickest after the best is not present, which if it DOES, that means that the search options are invalid leaving matchmaking overall...faulty.  Yes, bad connections can be blamed on the user or the users isp, but to what extent?  If someone in an area running 1GB internet (can't remember what state started using this) is experiencing the same issues as someone in a city with say half that connection quality, then yes there is an issue with the performance of matchmaking not the isp quality gap.  If up/down rates REALLY made much of a difference then it would be apparent.  Even if lobbies are close in distance the quality of the game remains the same as if it would with the regions being cross country.  There is an issue.

Level 4

in reply to Drahcir_IA

This is not true either. I speak with the other players, and more often than not they are all in the same city as me, the occasional player that is is a different country, but mostly all around the same area

Level 3

in reply to Drahcir_IA

The problem is in how most people think the speed test or ping test really applies to their connection on teh console when it does not. Teh console uses upd packets for the game and not tcp, speedtest and pingtest only test by tcp packets. so the information that is being shown is flawed when compared to what the game uses.

the next problem comes in the fact that many isps throttle udp packets bececause this is what is used the most often for torrenting applications for ileagal file sharing. Many isps do this with out ever telling their customers up front they do this especially in any high traffic periods of time.

So in many cases it is the ips and paying for a high priced or low priced package really means nothing toward the quality of the match of the game.

Level 70

Studios