Geographical Region?

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Geographical Region?

in reply to Maccabi

i'm a lot closer to london than inverness.. does'nt make sense to me.. might explain why it's been so f****ing cold lately.

Level 4

in reply to su9arat1

su9arat wrote:

i'm a lot closer to london than inverness.. does'nt make sense to me.. might explain why it's been so f****ing cold lately.

Nothing like a fresh summer.....you would have loved the hailstones yesterday morning.

Level 18

in reply to su9arat1

although this shouldn't be taken as an accurate assessment of the games matchmaking for geolocation..

as an interesting test heres a good little site that will show you where you place on ONE specific geolocation service  http://www.ipligence.com/geolocation

The problem with geolocation is the way it works out your actual location , this is mostly done by ip address which then maps  long/lat to that ip address.

The problem is ip address arent usually mapped to a location rather to the isp, isps buy blocks of ip address and dish them out on a temp basis to their customers. static ips are slightly different in some cases.

An example i used during te mw3 matchmkaing discussions was from my own expereinces..

if i used my bog standard bt adsl line geolocation placed me in london (as my dynamic ip is registered to the by head office)

if i used my leased line with a static ip it placed me in the correct location in wales.

depending what connection i used i would either be matched mostly with mainland europe or sw england, or welsh and midlands players

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

haha! just tried that link.. Milton Keynes!!!!

Level 4

in reply to su9arat1

su9arat wrote:

haha! just tried that link.. Milton Keynes!!!!

well that explains any lag issues you suffer from, its a well known but hardly documented fact that living within close proximity to concrete cows causes lag in online games

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

..and their gridded street network just sends your ping round and round

Level 4

in reply to Maccabi

Tried that link and my IP Address is in Croydon. That may explain a few things.

Level 30

in reply to biron_w

biron_w wrote:

Tried that link and my IP Address is in Croydon. That may explain a few things.

again bear in mind thats a single geolocation service so doesnt mean its the same in game.. i did used to have a better geolocation site that listed i think the top three geolocation services  still trying to dig it out.

footnote what isp are you on and how off was it im assuming you arent in croydon lol

ahah found it again..

http://www.iplocation.net/     gives results of 4 different main geolocation services.

Level 75

in reply to Maccabi

After trying to first test I looked up changing my IP address and found a post just saying to run a test(not sure if it was for my line or router) I did the test and my IP address changed and it's now showing me as being in leeds.

Level 30

in reply to su9arat1

It was spot on. The one in Black Ops 2 is off only by about 30 miles.

Reminds me of this:

Studios