For all those using a phone for your connection

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

For all those using a phone for your connection

Microsoft AND Sony have confirmed that in order to use the internet/MP on their next gen consoles that an "always on" connection is required, as well as either cable or fiber optic connection. This means NO MORE getting a lag compensation advantage due to you using a 3g/4g connection. All you guys that think a wireless phone signal is superior to actual hardwired internet are fools. I have saw a few posts in the past few days about people using them and touting their speedtest results, but what they are forgetting is that is even more skewed as it changes to the extreme with usage in the area.

Level 34
17 REPLIES

Re: For all those using a phone for your connection

in reply to propipe

got a link to this confirmation from Sony / MS?

Its a pretty likely thing, but i've heard no official announcements regarding the next gen consoles.

Level 7
Highlighted

in reply to propipe

myevo8you wrote:

Microsoft AND Sony have confirmed that in order to use the internet/MP on their next gen consoles that an "always on" connection is required.

Umm you Internet has to always to be on to play online as it is?

Level 43

in reply to propipe

myevo8you wrote:

Microsoft AND Sony have confirmed that in order to use the internet/MP on their next gen consoles that an "always on" connection is required, as well as either cable or fiber optic connection.

Can you tell us what "always on" is? And how a 3G/4G/LTE is not?  Also cable and fiber only? I wonder what will happen to all DSL users.

myevo8you wrote:

...but what they are forgetting is that is even more skewed as it changes to the extreme with usage in the area.

Just like almost everything else there is out there. I am asuming us cable users will be dropped too then since we could suffer from the same.

Very unrealistic statement. Of course with no link to an actual PR from either Sony or Microsoft; is nothing more than mere speculation.

Level 5

in reply to LimonAgrio

If this is true, I am assuming the "always on" is referring to a "hardwire" connection. If that's the case, cable, fiber, and most likely dsl should all be safe. I can see this possibly happening, maybe because so many ppl are actually using their phones for "Internet Service" possibly causing problems. Maybe.

Level 8

in reply to CLureCO

CLureCO wrote:

If this is true, I am assuming the "always on" is referring to a "hardwire" connection. If that's the case, cable, fiber, and most likely dsl should all be safe. I can see this possibly happening, maybe because so many ppl are actually using their phones for "Internet Service" possibly causing problems. Maybe.

In my geographic area LTE is very reliable and in many cases way better than some providers out there. For people that have no choice LTE can be just as good, caps unfortunately sucks.

Level 5

in reply to propipe

The always on feature is for disk checking. There is rumors that they wont allow used games for the console. Get your facts right and these are just rumors not offical announcments.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/gaming/consoles/xbox-720-release-date-news-and-rumours-937167

Level 19

in reply to gzowner1

Yeah....sorry Op but, @gzowner1 is right. These "rumors" you are referencing is in reguards to a 1 time use activation code for games.

A console manufacturer or even a game Dev company will probably not put in place any internet requirements for games. ie: have this type of connection or better.

It would lead to lost sales, customer returns and most likely headaches for them.

Level 15

in reply to propipe

Guess I'll have to move to get the new system then, as the best I can get is DSL. My apartment doesn't do cable unfortunately. That said, I have the best DSL you can get, and am always on 4 bars unless the host is terrible or far away.

Sounds pretty hard to believe. I'm not the only one on DSL. What's microsoft's motivation for getting rid of us? Note: DSL connections can be faster than cable (depending on your cable provider and package).

Level 4

in reply to flyinbobsaget

Don't feed the troll dude. He obviously thinks anybody that doesn't have access to or can afford interwebz as good as he does is the reason for all his "lag comp" woes in this game. MS does some dumb things but that don't mean they're stupid.

Level 1

Studios