Competitive has taken over the fun factor

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Competitive has taken over the fun factor

in reply to LouieDogDNA

You completely missed the point.

Level 24

in reply to LouieDogDNA

Me. I do not care if my team wins or not. I do not care about my w/l ratio at all. A win is just a bonus to playing the game. So yep there are people out there that do not care or worry about the win every match.

In BO the funnest thing was the contracts, did not care about k/d or w/l at all. If I had a contract active all other aspects of the game meant nothing at that point. Only getting the contract done mattered.

so not everyone cares about winning all the time. Some can and do find fun in other ways of playing for other reasons, not some stat like k/dr or w/lr.

Level 70
Highlighted

in reply to xmrythem

CTF is the most competitive game mode in COD so that kinda skews it.  Most shooters, if not all of them, have had some influence or involvement in the competitive scene.  Even Unreal Tournament was played competitively, which was seen as an alternative to the more 'serious/competitive' Quake, but Unreal's games weren't designed for the competitive community directly AFAIK.

Arcade racing games are probably a better example of being fun, whilst not overly involved in the competitive scene.  I don't think I've seen an arcade racer in an 'esports' championship for a long, long time.  The oldest one I can think of is F Zero on gaming shows.  Could you imagine Burnout Paradise being on MLG tournaments these days?

Level 31

in reply to SitRepPro

PGR3 was the last one that I know of, back in 2006.

Level 47

in reply to iivrruummii

That was a pretty decent game from what I've read although I never played it.  Played PGR4 though!  A longer term issue I guess would be that publishers may wish to publish games that are more likely to be played in competitive events for marketing/advertising reasons.  If the competitive scene doesn't like arcade racing games then perhaps fewer arcade racers are going to be produced.

Level 31

in reply to FixBlops2

So your complaining that people play how they want to play and not the way you think they should?  That is dumb.  They paid the same $$ you did.  So what if they use the same setup every game.  how is that a bad thing.

Level 12

in reply to UncleFizer

You don't get it.

Level 24

in reply to FixBlops2

In my opinion competitive play was overemphasized in the development stage. Its also my opinion, one that I think most of us could agree on, that competitive play has been drastically overemphasized post release and the game/community is suffering as a result. The game has connection issues that range from severe to manageable, but never great. The HC community is being completely ignored, I have only seen Vahn talk about HC on two different occassions, making a total of 4 posts. I would say they are catering to less than 1% of the playerbase with their focus on league, but thats false. They aren't catering to anyone, and people are moving on.

Level 25

in reply to FixBlops2

Winning is fun. I have a 92% win percentage so I have alot of fun.

Level 16

in reply to FixBlops2

I agree to an extent. I used to have more fun up to and including MW2, but it was still competitive then. Maybe just toooo many tryhards and wannabee mlg due to the tube. More players= more better players. Idk. I try to win every game but definitely enjoy completing challenges more. Good thought though. Maybe one day we'll figure out what's got us off-kilter.

Level 23

Studios