COD's biggest problem... the emphasis of score/kill streaks.

Call of Duty Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: COD's biggest problem... the emphasis of score/kill streaks.

in reply to RAN Kismet

Completely depends on the game mode in BO2, which isn't true for past COD's. You play TDM and getting k9 unit is quite a bit harder to get than it was in BO1, and generally streaks are harder than their BO1 counterparts for TDM, even UAV in BO2 takes 4 kills plus an assist? The problem is when you go to domination, and get 200 points for a couple capture kills, take out some equipment like sentry guns or guardians and get a couple hundred more points, get a capture... etc... you can get streaks with fairly little kills.

That said, I get it. They wanted to people to actually play objectives instead of playing for just kills in CTF. And for the most part they have drastically improved upon that. But yeah, it's all about game mode in BO2.

Level 4

in reply to RAN Kismet

I have played cod since United Offense first came out for the pc, camping was still a massive problem then and that wasnt even to gain a killstreak, people will play like twats reward or not. I loved when killstreaks were first introduced in MW and then the customizable streaks were a great addition, the huge variety of perks and attatchments adds more of a sense of meta game and I love that.

Level 3

in reply to RAN Kismet

I would rather them add barebones back into the mix.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75
Highlighted

in reply to Izjar11

Izjar11 wrote:

I would rather them add barebones back into the mix.

I played Barebones a fair bit before BO2 but I'm not sure how it would fit into the game outside of TDM and FFA due to the scoring system.

Level 31

in reply to RAN Kismet

I agree. COD is more about getting to that next killstreak and less about the actual game. It causes the vast majority of camping and "kill farming" in objective modes. The killstreak system has become beyond broken. They need to break it down and start over.

Level 18

in reply to RAN Kismet

Killstreaks/Scorestreaks  have promoted more camping, boosting, rage quitting and lack of objective play.

I see no real need for them, other than the 3,5 and 7 of old.

Level 8

in reply to RAN Kismet

My latest idea is to just double the required points and give them as support instead of streaks, like the MW3 support where they don't reset when you die. Then everyone will rush for them instead of camping for them.

Level 20

in reply to RAN Kismet

To those arguing that BO2 sales are down because kill streaks are harder to acquire ...

I disagree. There are other factors not at all even mentioned (I admit I made it a little half way through the thread before I had enough).

To begin with, there are basic laws of economics at play. I'm not going to get into all the details of how Econ 101 plays into this other than to say this, look at WHO ATVI is marketing the game to. This is no longer a "kids" game. I don't care if you see children (or rather, hear them) playing the game. This game is marketed not just to adults, but to adults aged 25 and older. In fact, I would say the emphasis is shifting toward adults aged 30+. Frankly, all industries want to sell primarily to the 30 to 50 or so demographic becase, everyone at the same time "That's where the cash cow is!"

The gaming market for children, the under 18 crowd, is saturated. They are not going to gain any more sales there. Period. Ages 18 to 30 do not have the disposable income that the 30+ crowd has.

That is the most likely reason you see the sales figures you see in the charts that were provided in the second post to this thread.

Nonetheless, what I have posted so far as well as what was claimed in the second post are CORRELATIONS and nothing more. You cannot conclude "causation." And certainly the leap to the conclusion that kill/score streaks are causing a decline in growth rates is a logical fallacy.

The next factor I haven't seen discussed is the repeat customer. The community calls the repeat customer the "core COD community." The reality is that the "core COD community" increases each year. There are more new fans than there are disenchanted and falling away fans. At some point the number of new customers is going to flat-line. There is no known way around that fact of life. ATVI has attempted to get around the law of diminishing return by offering a new product every year, but the graphics have not changed significantly in six years, the basic format of the game has not changed (it is still an FPS at its core requiring players to score kills against other players); all that ATVI has done has added more bells and whistles.

In any case, the point here is the repeat customer. After playing the game for 4, 5, 6 years, players increasingly get better at the game. I remember back in COD4 how easy it was to flank snipers so that I could literally walk up to three or four of them in a row and "execute" them with a single pistol round to the back of the head. My wife would roll in hysterics laughing as she would watch me do this.

You're not likely to catch three or four people all in a row and sniping in BO2. Why is that? Because people have learned how to play the game and play it with much more alertness than they did back then.

How that applies to kill/score streaks should be obvious. Back in COD4, getting 7 kills without getting killed was nowhere near as common as it is today. In fact, most players back then could not put together the three kills needed for a UAV.

So there has been a legitimate need to place the more rewarding kill/score streaks at higher and higher levels ... because the repeat customers are finding it easier and easier to go longer without getting killed.

This is where the problem emerges. Newer players assume it should be easy to score those high end streaks. They want the glory of acquiring those streaks. And there are three ways to achieve them.

1 - you can get together with a party and develop a strategy so that one or two players in the party earn those streaks and swap positions from match to match

2 - You can boost/cheat to acquire those streaks

3 - you can earn them with skill the way us long time, repeat customers prefer

If ATVI was to go back to the 3 5 7 formula, long time players would score five kills, four if they run Hardline, and then sit in a corner and let the streaks do the rest of the work for them. That's just the reality of life.

I think part of the issue is that since MW2, once you get to 7 or so kills, you unlock kill/score streaks that all but guarantee enough kills to earn a 12 or 13 kill reward, and then that one will almost as certainly earn another 7 to 10 kills ... not to mention the fact that the system recycles.

That may be the most significant factor in why people are not playing the objectives, but I'm not certain I would appreciate seeing it work differently.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

in reply to nuttin2say

its not scorestreaks but activisions desire to make money by aiming cod at kids as thats were the dollars are. treyarch were anti quick scope but its in, they wre anti powerful secondry but pistols beat primarys. constant uavs as the kids need dots to find and not map knowledge.

Level 8

in reply to sirsmug

The money is not in the kids. Trust me. Kids have to beg mom and dad to buy them the game ... and then the DLC, etc, etc.

Adults are decision makers. They can decide at will whether or not to buy the game or DLC. They don't have to go get their parents' credit cards.

The reason secondaries are more powerful now is because people have not been using them since MW2. They had to either make the secondaries useable or take them out of the game.

Constant UAVs, I've come to realize, are a little more complicated than dot chasers. Okay, so I've gotten well enough at the game I can get fairly frequently earn any streak up to the dogs. After that, I'm not that good yet.

The problem is that it takes only one match for me to do that and the other team will reset all their streaks to the low end streaks. They can't handle being outplayed via flanking and reaction time. So they counter it by using UAV spam.

My only option at that point is to do the same.

I think a lot of players are having that same problem.

"At the end of the match, there remains only ... nuttin 2 say."
Level 62

Studios