why there is some lag shooting

Call of Duty Black Ops II Wii-U

Re: why there is some lag shooting

in reply to nflxpert

There's some debate about this...Pundits say that the kill cam does NOT reflect what actually happened in the game, that it itself lags.  Others say it's a reflection of what the game saw.  Theatre mode is supposed to be the actual view of what the host (who is controlling all the gamestate for everyone) saw.   On your screen you fired, but it didn't make it to the host "in time" so it never registered.

3arch or IW has never confirmed this to be true (AFIK).  So it's a hot topic of debate.  You'll also notice things like on your screen you duck behind a wall, but on the kill cam you're still in plain view (hence why you died). 

The next myth (not confirmed) is that people like me, with really, really good internet connections suffer from lag because 3arch/IW has put in a penalty for having low latency (to make it fair to those who don't).  

Like I said, there alot of questions, but very few answers when it comes to lag compensation...which is what you might be experiencing.  

Here's a great video by capp:
-k4

Level 9
Highlighted

in reply to king7085

I've yet to see any really bad lag yet maybe you just need to get used to the game

Level 19

in reply to PikaBoo

No, we're good pikaboo...I agree.  I haven't seen any bad lag (interpolation of networking) either.  So far so good.  I've only been insta-killed a couple of times. 

I haven't pulled host yet so I'm not sure how lag is going for the host. 

But here's a question for you guys?  I've been host migrated ALOT today.  Anyone else?

Level 9

in reply to king7085

I'm going to add my 2cents here.

Lag compensation is needed for every online game. Without lag comp, the host wins hands down every single match. Why you may ask? Well the host has at least a a few seconds (not milliseconds but yes, seconds) advantage over every other player. When playing cod, it's not peer to peer based as people think. The host connects to the server and then the other players connect to the host. The server sees everything everyone does through the host. This is why the host is needed. So the host being connected to the server, his information gets there first, all the other players data next, and then the server sends the information back to the host and then to the other players.

So as you can see the host has an advantage, and then the next best connection and so fourth. Now this all happens very quickly, but upon starting the match the servers check everyone's connections and then sync them up (this is what should happen normally) so there is a feel of no latency. Obviously there's going to be latency somewhere. Now you could have an awesome Internet connection. But the person who is closest to the host will always have the next best connection. Why? Because it takes less time to get to the host.

Now imagine, this server also has another 200k people connected to it. Is everything going to run smoothly? Not likely. So all in all, the people who say bad connections should suffer for a bad connection, take out lag compensation and don't be host. How much will you whine then?

Level 8

Studios