LAN Adapter Slower than WiFi - speed differences (WTF?) #update

Call of Duty Black Ops II Wii-U

LAN Adapter Slower than WiFi - speed differences (WTF?) #update

My ISP plan is 15 mb/s down with 2 mb/s up. I am currently connected via Wii LAN Adapter, but I've noticed the internet on the Wii U runs VERY slow - IE: any video played on YouTube (via app or browser) keeps getting interrupted every 4 seconds.

In the next few days, I'm going to upgrade to 30 mb/s down with 5 mb/s up...but that doesn't really affect the "relative" connection speed questions I have...

1) Is anyone else seeing huge discrepancies when using the LAN vs WiFi?

2) Why the hell is the U so slow with it's connectivity in general? This can't be helpful to BO2 connectivity, can it?

3) Is the LAN Adapter not USB 2.0?

Here are some tests of: [1] Wii U LAN, [2] Wii U WiFi, and [3] my laptop. During WiFi, router is 2 feet from Wii U and 30 feet from laptop.

Site: http://speedof.me

[1] Wii U LAN download: 1.26 mbps

[1] Wii U LAN upload: wouldn't work

[2] Wii U WiFi download: 1.6 mbps

[2] Wii U WiFi upload: wouldn't work

[3] Laptop WiFi download: 16.22 mbps

[3] Laptop WiFi upload: 2.34 mb/s

Site: http://testmy.net (this one is the most telling as it can test all consoles)

[1] Wii U LAN download: 1.9 mbps

[1] Wii U LAN upload: 767 kbps

[2] Wii U WiFi download: 6 mbps

[2] Wii U WiFi upload: 874 kbps

[3] Laptop WiFi download: 14.6 mbps

[3] Laptop WiFi upload: 2.4 mbps

Site: http://pingtest.net (testing laptop WiFi only since U doesn't support Flash)

[3] Ping: 48 (500 miles away), 105 (2,000 miles away)

[3] Jitter: 6 (500 miles away), 3 (2,000 miles away)

[3] Packet Loss: 0 (500 miles away), 0 (2,000 miles away)

Site: http://speedtest.net (testing laptop WiFi only since U doesn't support Flash)

[3] Ping: 44

[3] Download: 14.5 mbps

[3] Upload: 2.10 mbps

In-Game Bandwidth (options>system info):

[1] Wii U LAN: 2.1 mbps

[2] Wii U WiFi: 2.0 mbps

So...essentially my laptop that is 30 feet from my router works 7 times FASTER than my Wii U that is plugged into the router (LAN)...and even more crazy is that my Wii U LAN is 3 times SLOWER than my Wii U WiFi?

########## UPDATE ###########

I upgraded my internet to double it was before, so am now at 30 mbps up and 5 mbps down.

NEW Speed Test (http://testmy.net):

[1] Wii U LAN download: 1.2 mbps

[1] Wii U LAN upload: 455 kbps

[2] Wii U WiFi download: 5.6 mbps

[2] Wii U WiFi upload: 810 kbps

[3] Laptop WiFi download: 29 mbps

[3] Laptop WiFi upload: 5.3 mbps

NEW In-Game Bandwidth (options>system info):

[1] Wii U LAN: 2.3 mbps

[2] Wii U WiFi: 2.7 mbps

So I talked to Nintendo Tech Support:

* "we don't have any information on how to speed it up, nor do we have information as to if there are limits on the internet speed of the U or the max speed the U can handle. The e-Shop has been down/under-going maintenance so that may be increasing lag."

Yeah. Okay.

And then I talked to Nintendo Consumer Support (because Tech said they'd have more info):

* "there's no information I have to help you - did you contact your ISP?"

Fukkers.

And then I talked to "Advanced WiFi Support":

* changed wireless channel from "Auto" to "1" = no change in speed

* changed channel to "6" = no change

* changed channel to "11" = increased Wii U WiFi speed from 5.6 mbps to 6.1 mbps

* no other channels made a difference

* I have a Belkin router and there is a QoS (quality of service) setting that was on. Was told to turn it off, but made no change in speed

NEW NEW In-Game Bandwidth (options>system info):

[1] Wii U LAN: 2.3 mbps

[2] Wii U WiFi: 3.0 mbps (highest I've ever gotten). Last night 3/25 I actually had 4.8 mbps in-game all night and still had HUGE lag issues. Could be someone in my party or lobby with a bad connection that caused that though.

Additional Info From Nintendo:

* DMZ has nothing to do with speed - only has to do with firewall (same with port-forwarding)

* Wii U can handle up to 130 mbps WiFi

* LAN adapter "should" work well as it is 10/100

* Any game online (like BO2 multiplayer) should work very well if you have above a 6 mbps connection with the Wii U

* If your router was between $40 and $80 (mine was $40) - it might not be advanced enough to handle online gaming through the Wii U

* Was told to look into a better router

* Was told to contact my router (Belkin) and ask them for specific setup for Wii U

Will update this if anything changes for the better. Might just get a new router. All of this can't be helping the connection issues I have with this game.

Level 23
50 REPLIES

Re: LAN Adapter Slower than WiFi - speed differences (WTF?)

in reply to M4GNUM

Yea its true the WiiU Wifi is faster than the lan adapter, i have tested myself

my internet is 37MB when i test with pc its 37MB on the test

all the wii u can do is 8MB over wifi on the test and 4/5MB with the lan adapter

Level 1

in reply to Gixerz

Whew. Glad to know I'm not crazy...but Nintendo severely dropped the ball. Governing speeds and not putting an ethernet port on it? Hoping the April update fixes the speed issue.

Level 23

in reply to M4GNUM

Yes lets hope it gets faster perhaps it was tapped for the consoles first few months of release,

who knows its Nintendo  lol

Level 1

in reply to Gixerz

Well yeah, one would think they'd open it up so more people use the functionality of the console (eShop, etc) and whatever apps that were licensed to them.

Level 23

in reply to M4GNUM

mine is 72mb and the same results as yours on those sights???. lan is about 40% worse than that goin from memory.

Level 8

in reply to M4GNUM

I believe there are bandwidth limits on the Wii U if I'm not mistaken.  I can't remember if the limits are on the lan adapter or if they are on the wifi or both.  I think it'sjust the land adapter but I'm not sure.  You would have to go look it up.  There are posts about it on different forums.  A google search should find it no problem. I would look it for you but I don't have time right now.

Level 33

in reply to like2nap03

I've searched and there are, I just haven't read anything definitive about how broad the issue is or what the cause is. Some point to the USB on the adapter being USB 1.x rather than 2.0. Nothing definitive on that either. Some say the original was 1.x and the new ones are 2.0. But some say they had the same speed differences with both. Sometimes the internet doesn't offer a solution

Level 23

in reply to M4GNUM

I wasn't referring to the adapter.  I've read that wifi or no wifi the Wii U has a bandwidth restriction on the network card.  Which is why your download over wifi is slower than the laptop.  I'll try and test my network adapter tonight after work.  I don't have time right now.

As far as the adapter goes, I'm sure there's away to look up the specs on it.  I have the Nintendo brand adapter on my Wii and I'm using a different one on my Wii U.  I don't know the specs on either one though.

It's weird that you have such a difference between those two sites when you tested the console.  I will try them both later.

Level 33

in reply to like2nap03

I know - I was just continuing my curiousity by wondering if the LAN adapter from the old Wii causes issues by not being USB 2.0. Another theory. Can't find info on it in that regard.

Level 23

Studios