Heads up guys - The wiiU requires a 4 gig update patch on opening the box

Call of Duty Black Ops II Wii-U

Heads up guys - The wiiU requires a 4 gig update patch on opening the box

I read this on twitter last night, cant remember who tweeted it as I was bored sh`tless at my daughters school awards evening during many many speaches, but the guy said that the current console updates patches total 4 gig, basically wiping away half the memory off the basic 8gig console.

I think this was half expected as originally the basic was advertised as a 4gig model, until it was later changed to 8 before it hit the market. Nice of them to tell people though isnt it?

Level 26
30 REPLIES

Re: Heads up guys - The wiiU requires a 4 gig update patch on opening the box

in reply to s7ra1gh7upb3as7

What will be more interesting to me, is will there be a patch for BLOPS 2 on initial startup (like on the xbox)?

Level 9
Highlighted

I was counting on having to download a update patch first thing once we got online on the system.

Level 13

The entire operating system is 4 gig.  The day one update is not for the entire operating system. 

Level 33

in reply to like2nap03

I dont know the authenticity of what I read Nap, but it was from a good poster, cant for the love of me remember the name of the guy, but he said Nintendo have been updating stuff like crazy and they made a booboo coz the update or patch or whatever its called is just under 4gig, making the 8gig console useless for online gamers.

Level 26

Another useless rumor that a stranger posted just cause he was curious if the "beast" user would buy it....

Hey beast, don't you belong now to the Xbox community?, so....I guess you now know where to go to troll

Level 11

Nobody knows the day 1 update size yet. The 4gb you're talking about is for the OS and system resources as nap stated above. Every hard drive takes memory to use otherwise they won't function without it.

Surprisingly people are raging about the basic set taking 4gb and only having 3gb usable, but the deluxe set has 32gb and only 25gb usable. That means the deluxe set has 7gb for OS and resources.

So instead of whining about it. Lets put our thinking caps on. We can estimate that the minimum OS size is 4gb (you could take a gb off for resources but I'm going the whole 4). This would probably mean that miiverse, video chat and tvii are already on the system. So if this is true then the day 1 update will most likely be a patch to unlock the features and a few files for add on features they didn't implement in the box. Also take into regard Nintendo doesn't want to peeve anyone more than they have and I can say this update should be a maximum around 1gb.

Now thats max. But I really think this update will only be maybe a few hundred MB. Hopefully this helps you understand a little more.

End echidna's rant.

Level 8

This is true, it is a 4.2 gig patch for MiiVerse and other online stuff.

Level 27

in reply to porkins_d

Source?

Level 8

in reply to 7echidna7
Level 9

Studios