Bandwidth Sampling

Call of Duty Black Ops II Wii-U

Re: Bandwidth Sampling

in reply to WiimotesRus02

If it was Nintendo or something to do with the Wii U connectivity in general then it would also affect Black Ops Wii.  The Virtual Wii mode uses the same configurations that are set in Wii U mode.

I get the usual (though, these days it's more than usual now) matches where I know I'm a good deal behind other players.  I get insta-killed, shot at around corners, not getting hit markers, sometimes getting nothing but hitmarkers in HCTDM, being killed by invisible players, etc.  I'd give up and boot Virtual Wii mode, load Black Ops Wii and never have a problem.

My most memorable situation for this was when playing Standoff.  I found myself up in the central building because I couldn't kill anything.  There was another player up there with me who was looking out of the window.  Since I knew I was being screwed by the "lag" I was going to use what I could to gain the upper hand.

I was keeping an eye on the minimap on the Gamepad and knew that an enemy was making its way towards the doorway (easy to figure this kind of thing out based on where teammates are dying and where they could be shot from, etc.  I could also hear the gunfire.)

Well, I moved to the stairs so that I could see the bottom of the doorway.  He would be coming from the left and I'd see his shadow before he reached the door.  My intention was to start shooting as soon as I saw his shadow (there wasn't a teammate in that direction since they had all died).

5 seconds later the teammate behind me started shooting over my shoulder and the next thing I knew...I was dead, the teammate was dead and I saw an enemy player running down the stairs away from us.  I assumed that he maybe came in through the window.  Theatre showed that he came in through the DOORWAY, up the stairs, killed me, killed the teammate and then ran back down.  I never saw a damn thing until the "dying animation".

I quit at this point and booted Black Ops Wii from the same Wii U and never had a single problem with connection.  Solid 4 bars, sometimes 3.  Had one match where I was down on 2 bars but was still getting kills.  I see them, I aim at them, I pull the trigger, they died.  My only deaths were my own failings, getting legitimately outplayed or when there was a cheater.

It was no different of an experience from when I used my Wii when playing the game.  Same LAN adapter, same router, same internet.

Level 10

in reply to bughunt

Your theory is sound - except for one thing: The wii OS (that boots on the wiiu) is different from the new normal wiiu OS. It seems that to play old games on the wiiu they just boot the old OS.

So the code required to interface to the network API's are/perhaps/should be different than the old wii protocols.

Perhaps it's all running the same objects underneath, but even if this were the case - there is still more top-end code on the new wiiu.

Either way, someone should explain the issues to the users and make changes to their code.

Level 9
Highlighted

in reply to LastShadowCOD

see my post below.

Level 29

It's very possible that the two network APIs differ.  The Wii U has a variety of different additional sub-applications that connect and exchange information compared to the Wii.

Something I can't help but notice is that the "lag" that I seem to intermittently get with BO2 is a somewhat more extreme form of what I would sometimes get with MW3 during the brief time I bothered to try it.  BO Wii ran fine 99% of the time, as did pretty much every other online game I played.  I've also heard of XBox 360 players complaining of this weird "lag" in MW3, too.

With the Wii U I find issues with BO2 yet no issues with BO Wii.  I can no longer borrow MW3 otherwise I would have tried it in Wii Mode and checked if I still got some of those weird "laggy" issues on the Wii U.

Every other online game for the Wii U has run perfect except this game.  My nephew has MH3U and never had a problem.  I've also never heard of any issues with NFS:MWU or Sonic Racing.

It strikes me that whatever changes that they started to implement during MW3 has been carried over into BO2 in one form or another.  It could either be in the network coding of the game or their servers.

I can't quite figure out what is going on, but I noticed a thread where a user was talking about how two seperate Wii Us had two sepereate experiences online when they are on the same connection.  I've had 2 Wii Us and an XBox 360 connected to my TV and hooked up to the same router before (though used at seperate times).  One of the Wii Us belonged to me and the other Wii U and XBox 360 belonged to my nephew.

I didn't really notice much of a change between the Wii Us (they were used at seperate times of the day so things were naturally different).  There wasn't much of an improvement overall for the XBox 360 either, though I've seen it get pretty bad there, too.

Level 10

in reply to bughunt

Yes, but you can't compare different games.

MW3 and BO2 are peer-to-peer.

I don't know about the rest but they may use servers to host.

Level 9

Wasn't the original Black Ops also p2p?

I know that I can't compare different games since their methods of connection management will no doubt differ.  It was just to highlight that the networking of the Wii U appears to work fine, as does the networking within my home.

One of the biggest indicators that the problem must lie with the coding of BO2 or its servers is that other platforms have also experienced this same exact problem.

I'm not sure if it is some sort of interpolation between player connections in a lobby or just some other form of "equalization", but I do know that the fault does not rest with my own network nor any hardware that I possess.

Level 10

I have a 2997kbps since i'm wired on wii u done speedtests through the browser it won't go past 10mbps I do speedtests on the computer and i get this http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/2873415627 If I don't wire my wiiu I lag a lot. Even though I have 2997kbps doesn't really mean anything since i always find myself getting killed by people that i see first but on killcam a single bullet doesn't come out of my gun on their screen.

Level 1

in reply to EvuLxWonder

You see thats weird, coz I have the exact same wired or wifi

Level 2

in reply to onlyUSEmeSKILLZ

see beast, hes around 3000kbps and still...same issues. my guess? all these lag issues are being caused by two things. one, two player gaming with one on the pad. i play zombs with my girl almost everyday, and when shes on the pad my tv play is a lagggy mess, there is no doubt about this one. secondly, the miiverse. i think that is what slows the u to a crawl. and if i rush through the menus to set up a game of zombs or multi, ya know, press the buttons as fast as possible while miiverse loads up and the in the black ops game menu, it gives me moderate nat every single time. to get nat back to open i have to shut down, switching to campaign or multi doesnt even help...

Level 29

in reply to EvuLxWonder

I have a pretty decent connection and I lag more than I should sometimes. I am based out of Pennsylvania but I often find myself getting connected to lobbies where I am the only english speaking person. Most of the people I play with comes from foreign countries. While I do enjoy meeting new people I would like some local US love as well.  When I play on the Xbox, you can actually see where my ISP is based out of and it is the correct information. Here's what I get on my SpeedTest:http://www.speedtest.net/result/2876720369.png

Level 1

Studios