Bandwidth Sampling

Call of Duty Black Ops II Wii-U

Bandwidth Sampling

It appears - that the BO2 software takes a sampling of your bandwidth once upon entry to the MP menu - the first menu after the campaign menu.

It doesn't update the bandwidth attribute in Options -> System Info after your first entry.

I noticed today that if you have people hitting your bandwidth and you go in with a low kbs that you can't find a game. It searches and searches - you can switch to "any" and find some but they are laggy as heck.

My question is this - since they don't resample are you doomed to laggy games because of your one-time sampling rate? Does it pay to check and renter with your best rate? The system should still place you in "best" games - but it doesn't or so I found out.

Level 9
40 REPLIES

Re: Bandwidth Sampling

in reply to LastShadowCOD

Someone asked me my bandwidth the other day as I have severe lag , have no for the full life cycle of bo2, and its 996kbs , is that bad?

I have to play on best search, which gaurantees me a 100 or less ping to the game host, or it just isnt worth me playing as im like .5 seconds behind

Level 7

in reply to BEASTAGEDDON

if i test my wii u speedofme gives a result of 700kbps download, 900kbps upload. checking connection through the options menu puts me at 973kbps or so.

now if i get on my smartphone (htc evo 4g 3d), and test with speedtest.net, it puts my speed at 24.36 mbps download, 1.40 upload, 30ms ping.

anybody else find how slow the u is disturbing?

Level 29

in reply to BobbyMcGee

beast your slightly better than mine, bout the same. my internet is just fine, i could pay extra for 50mbps but why? it seems to be all upload speed and ping, but there are plenty of people on here with 3000kbps or so though, to put things into perspective.

Level 29

in reply to BEASTAGEDDON

My rate in B02 was 638kbs or so and it wouldn't join a lobby - just searched. When I went out and back in it was 740kbs which is "normal" for me and it found "best" lobbies fine. It was still a little laggy, but I would say like usual.

If you have 996kbs you must be screaming fast.

Level 9
Highlighted

i can actually get those speeds through my phones data connection creating a wifi hotspot with my phone...funny thing is it can be around 300 running terrible, ill go to main, re-connect, and get 700-900 and its not bad, on my phones data connection!!! if i did play at awful speeds it sucks and your running in quicksand, but you teleport so badly people literally cannot get a good shot and it seems to ruin their aim assist. wonder how many people intentionally do this? ever see a high-scorer in game with an awful connection, one or two bars? i know i do every damn day...

Level 29

in reply to BobbyMcGee

I've been using my phone as a hotspot for about the last two months. Only have 1gb data a month, I play nightly and haven't gone over limit yet. Sad though because I have an excellent home Internet that I play all my other games online with buy blops 2 just refuses to connect.

Here's my experience with the phone. Started on iPhone 4 and had average 700kbs with 3 yellow bars in lobby. Few dropouts.

Upgraded to iPhone 5, not sure what downloads are but have been having a 4 bar green connection consistently. Probably because 4g.

Level 8

mines is an epic 688kbs, but ive moved further into the wilderness since i started playing this, so is that what i have now or what i had when i lived in town?

Level 1

in reply to BeediferDeux

What you have now - it takes a new sample everytime you enter the MP menu.

Level 9

My problem is ping to other countries which causes me huge grief! My ping to my country, anywhere in my country , is around 30-55, anything under about 80 is fine, USA guys have ping of less than 10 in some states. When I play on an host outside the UK my ping goes to 200+ in europe, and over 400 to a USA host, so im at a huge disadvantge in 1v1s against those players.

Basically speed is the time it takes to get from your console/pc/mobile to your internet exchange, which is usually pretty close to where you live. Ping is the time it takes to get a bullet from your console, through all the internet to the hosts console, and then back to you. The lower the ping you have the better you`ll do in gunfights. I had a much better time on my old ISP when mu download was just 4 as my ping was around 15, now my speeds up to 14/16 and but my ping has quadrupled.

My gaming experience in the afternoons when on euro host is not too bad, once we hit 7pm my stats,scores, and the rest of it, hit the floor

Level 2

Studios