Re: PS4...only 8GB of ram?

in reply to ColdChilln88

Ahhh welcome to the OT threads! haha

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Level 75

in reply to ColdChilln88

From an engineering perspective, it's a remarkable achievement. Sony itself doesn't fabricate memory, it buys from major suppliers who advertise the parts available months (sometimes years) ahead of delivery, so we have a decent idea of what options the platform holders have on the table in creating their next-gen systems. The GDDR5 memory modules - the same used in PC graphics cards - are only available in certain configurations, with the densest option available offering 512MB per module. The startling reality is that unless Sony has somehow got access to a larger chip that isn't yet in mass production and that nobody knows about, it has crammed 16 memory modules onto its PS4 motherboard. To illustrate the extent of the achievement, Nvidia's $1000 graphics card - the GeForce Titan - offers "just" 6GB of onboard GDDR5.

Level 1

in reply to Mookdogg

surely all 8 gigs aint for the gpu?

Level 2

in reply to c0dfanboy

No, It's unified meaning devs can split it however they want after the OS has what it needs. No required configuration needed like the  ps3 split ram pool, which didn't work out so well for developers.

Level 1

in reply to ColdChilln88

Everyone is forgetting this is DDR5. 8gb is a massivly huge amount for gaming. More than anyone besides top hollywood special f/x guys would ever need in a PC as well. I am still on 6gb of ddr3 and i see absolutely no reason to upgrade it, and i do some video editing.

Level 7

in reply to WhiskeyDex

Do you think 7 years from now you will be running the same rig?

Level 1

in reply to ColdChilln88

Does anyone realize how much 8GB really is....

Skyrim had a 4GB limit, and I ran so many HD 4096x4096 texture mods on it, plus so many other mods...

With 8GB, there really will be no limit!

MAG 2 FTW!!!

Level 20

in reply to SanAndreasPsych1

Hello,

Yes indeed i know how much 8 GB is. Im learning on school game design , i only need 8 gb of ram to develop games on with enginges like ( udk , cryengine ) , i don´t need any more it will become useless if you want to upgrade it to an higher ammount. The playstation os doesin´t need a lot of memmory to run on. Windows is an big framework with a lot of background processes and things that require at last 2 gb of ram.

Playstation deverloppers have enought with the 8gb , whe should be very excited about this cause the newest zombie mode on the ps4 will have a lot of reduced ( math lag - out of memmory problems. Whe have 4 times more the bandwith and the power to play on !

Greetings.

Level 2

Studios