Call of Duty Black Ops 4 General Discussion Forum

Believe it or not, we actually do not view this differently. I am all for parties, as I stated. What I am trying to figure out is if there is a way to lessen the effect that these "out of area" players have on the ping. 

When I turn off the geofilter, and play in the mercenary moshpit, I still, frequently, have players from Colorado, and Wyoming connect to the Chicago server, but my ping stays at 20-22ms. 

However, when I jump into the normal playlists, fully expecting full parties, my ping fluctuates all over the place from 40 to 80ms. What I am trying to figure out is why the game plays fine wn playing with players from relatively the same place in mercenary game modes, yet those same places, when in a party, seem to cause issues with the ping. 

As far as an answer; I'll be completely honest and tell you, I have no idea, and that is what is so frustrating. I am not saying to get rid of parties- not by a long shot. Parties, through playing with my nephew, is what introduced me to CoD, and I have had some really fun times while playing in a party. What I am saying, though, is that, at least for me, parties seem to increase the ping time, despite playing against players from roughly the same areas.

I just don't understand why parties from the same area as mercenary players seem to cause such an issue on regular games. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Ok I used to use the Duma up until About 4 or so months into BO3 then I switched away COD is not the only game that I play but at that time it seems the changing over from the IPv4 to IPv6 was causing me issues with that router. 

Changed over to one that supported IPv6 and a majority of my matches are good, when others come over and game on my network they notice a difference as well when they compare to their own setups. Just sayin that the router you have may help but it may not be the be all end all. 

I have yet to have any reason to hook the Duma back up - if my current router happens to crash I would go and buy another Asus.

MindSpazms Level 75
Highlighted

You know what's funny/sad? I actually think my router is causing more issues for me, mentally, than it is doing me any good. I don't regret buying it since it confirmed a lot of what I thought was going on, despite being told otherwise; but then again, there's absolutely nothing I can do with that knowledge. It's like I spent money to prove a point that only I, and a few others, care about. 

Asus was actually the other router I was considering, but I couldn't find enough information/reviews on how the priority function and bandwidth allotments per device worked. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

When the next cod is announced I think we need to make some threads on Reddit. Wonder if IW is a bit more open to "negative" posts.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

You can be the one to test them and find out. Reddit was a bad experience for me, and proved that that sub, while having the occasional "funny" critical post, like a video of a player model not reacting to physics as intended), is against any critical post, that contained proof of the criticism, which served to vouch for it's validity, is definitely not wanted over there. They're OK with idiots spouting off nonsense, under the "consider the source" thought process; but by God, don't you dare post something that proves a quote given from the developers is a lie. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Well matching with players within a 300 mile radius would definitely be ideal, but that isn't the whole story. I mean, thanks to the fact they haven't stuck to that formula in the past (and even more so to Gamebattles, which is completely out of their control), now most of my friends are well outside 300 miles from me. I live in Pennsylvania, and I regularly play with friends from Texas, California, Canada (west coast), Connecticut, etc etc. If I was suddenly not able to play with those friends, I'd be a little salty about it, and I think most other people would feel the same. 🤷‍♂️

JohnnySasaki22

I wouldn't blame you, or your friends, or anybody else for being salty if they suddenly made a change that prevented you, and everyone else, from partying up with friends beyond 300 miles. 

Briefly, I just want to say, I did not word my initial post very well, and came off as being "anti-party." That's not my stance at all. What I was trying, and failing, to say is that they (the developers) need to find a way to rework their code to still allow parties, while also having a steady ping. I will say that, after playing around half a dozen or so matches last night against parties that were peer hosted, my ping stayed between 20-24ms, and played flawlessly. For whatever reason, I only run into performance issues when the matches against full parties are on the dedicated server. I was playing a match in the HC barebones playlist last night, off of the Elk Grove server (the Chicago server), and despite my ping being great (20ms, nearly zero fluctuation), the match played downright terrible. I know this is going to sound like hyperbole, but I shot a couple of players who were flat out rushing the hel out of us, in the face with an ICR, to absolutely zero effect. The funny thing is that it appeared the other team was well aware of a problem existing because they soon began rushing us all the time- in a HC Domination match. I was a late join, but the score was like 185-22; and for the few minutes I stayed, players were leaving left and right. Hopefully, I recorded this, bc I'd love to share the clip.

I understand why everybody thinks I am anti-partying up, especially after rereading my less than well thought out opening post, but I am not. I just don't understand why, in a mercenary match against players from roughly the same locations as the players in a party, the game played fine; but when the parties form, and the players were from that same area (rougly), things became extremely dicey, and gunfights felt like a 50/50 crapshoot. 

I believe there has to be a way to allow parties, while not effecting the ping to a dedicated server. If I have a ping of 20ms to server A in mercenary mode, why do I all of a sudden have a ping that fluctuates between 40-60ms to the same server when parties are introduced into the equation? It just doesn't make any sense. I could understand if a player in a party outside of server A's "service area" suffered with an unstable, and high, ping, but why the whole lobby? 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Yeah, in Bo1 my duos partner was from San Diego, and while he was definitely really good, you could tell he was getting some sort of lag advantage. We played HC SnD mostly, and he had a 5.6 k/d, which is fairly nasty. But every time we partied up (again, me being from the east coast) I had to be the quickest gun in the west, yet when I was spectating him he seemed to have all day. It's really no surprise, or nothing everyone wouldn't expect, but it's just something you have to deal with on occasion. 🤷‍♂️

JohnnySasaki22
in reply to mygamertagsucks
Solution

Ran some HC Domination with @BettySwollax and one of his friends Sunday.  I'm in Central US, they are in UK.  My end ran find. No visible connection issues, coms were good.  They didn't indicate any weird connection stuff on their end.  We had a good hour and a half or so.  Finished 6 of 6 match wins.  The guy knows his way around Domination... 

"Confusion to the Enemy"
Pressing the Buttons harder makes the attack stronger!

View solution in original post

The_Birdman62#3632146 Level 75
in reply to The_Birdman62#3632146

You're far too kind... Not forgetting a gem of a team mate to add to it(on your part btw).. you held your own and more..... not blowing trumpets but it played out near on perfect imo. You don't need a full clan to wreck a joint, just enough eyes to cover your main objective..

I had no issues whatsoever regards connection and like you say, chat wise it was all fine..

I've told @Horrorman, it's time for new cups and string me thinks.....

Little side note, kudos for cracking ability on thermal scope btw.. I struggle with it on anything other than titan.....

BettySwollax

Studios