Lag When Friends Join Party With Bad Internet

Call of Duty Black Ops 4 General Discussion Forum

Can someone please confirm, deny or shed some light on the following topic?

I have noticed that when friends who have bad/unreliable internet connection join my lobby before we enter Blackout or Multiplayer my gaming experience goes waaaaaaay bad, i.e it’s like i can’t win gun fights, i’m usually unaware of enemy players, meaning I don’t see them till it’s too late etc. But when i’m playing solo or matched up by the system with other players then it feels better, i win more gun fights, i see enemies quicker etc.

My firends usually join on me because I have the better connection.

Question 1: Does my friends who have bad internet connection benefit from my internet connection when they join my lobby? And how?

Question 2: Am i negatively affected when my friends with bad internet connection join my lobby? And how?

Question 3: Does party chat negatively affect the host of the chat? And how?

Question 4: Does joining a party chat negatively affect my experience? And how?

Question 5: Does joing somoene elses lobby negatively affect my experience? And how?

Question 6: How does boost mode and super sampling affect the online player experience with regards to input lag, low or unstable frame rates etc.I’m playing on a 23” 1080p Dell monitor as my 4K tv seems to have very bad input lag. I just purchased the Asus VG275Q and will move over to that display this week.

My current setup:

PS4 Pro

Dell 23” monitor

Fibre Internet Connection 20mbps down and 20mbps up

Nighthawk XR500 router with QOS enabled at 70%.

I have read some articles on the internet regarding some of these issues, but most of the cemments are without people actually testing the effects and just assume by logically debating the features and how it should work. So give advise based on surety.

Thanks guys

PacMan2point0
7 REPLIES 7

1. They don't benefit you suffer.

2. Yes. Lag comp.

3. Everybody is as chat will use a small bit of band with

4. See 3

5. Dedi server less than peer to peer.

6. Don't know

Personally I wouldn't say a 20/20 connection is good. Decent maybe.

Activision and the debs say a connection like that should be good enough.

But how the matchmaker and netcoding works you can still lag with a 200/200 connection

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

Thanks for the info.

How does having a larger bandwidth assist when the upload and download badwidth are as low that its measured in kbps and not even reaching 1mbps out of the 20mbps fibre line which i have?

Also, my PS has priority over other devices on the network and therefore traffic from my console shouldn’t be queued.

I understand that people with a normal router that can’t hadle QOS settings usually increase the bandwith of their ISP to assure that no queing occurs.

Can you maybe explain how having a larger bandwith assists with the online experience. i.e If I transfer data over the network at 1mbps with a 20mbps bandwith, how will my experience be enhanced if i send 1mbps data over a 100mbps bandwidth connection? I mean, 1mb still takes a second to transfer in both bandwidth categories?

Thanks again in advance.

PacMan2point0

Are you talking about the in-game measurements? Under "options" and "network" it will say anywhere between 1000kbps, up to the highest I've had, at 4170kbps. This translates to 1mb and 4.17mb, respectively. I have no idea why they are measuring in kilobytes.

Im running the same router as you, and Im curious what your current QoS setup looks like, as well as your Anti-Buffer Bloat settings. I have mine set at "always", instead of "only when high priority traffic is detected." Then again, I live by myself. 

What are you using your geofilter settings? Also, are you using the ping assist feature? I've found using the ping assist, and setting it at 25ms teens to put me on "peer host" server types. When you allot your bandwidth for your ps4, make sure to reserve at least 6mbps of upstream bandwidth, if at all possible. I have nothing to base that on other than my personal preference. As far as download, I usually set mine at about 50mbps. I also go into the bandwidth allotments, and turn off "share excess". After all of that crap, I reboot the router, while my PS4 is off, and turn the PS4 back on once the router is back up and running.

If you could post some pics of your settings, I'd be glad to help you out if I can. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

The larger bandwidth means nothing with online gaming, but may, and I stress may, help out if you were to have someone else on the network using a heavy bandwidth consuming app like YouTube, twitch, etc. 

In general, more bandwidth = no advantage over someone with the bare minimum. Your transfer speeds on your router, where it says something like 300mbps, only refers to your ability to send files between other devices on your own network. It can be a tad misleading, and places like Best buy will not tell you that.

Assuming you have enough bandwidth to play the game, your ping is the most important factor that you should be paying attention to. All of the bandwidth in the world will not give you a leg-up over the competition. 

mygamertagsucks Level 75

20mbs shouldbe good but for some reason even with 4175 KBS according to cod you still will lag.

I don't now what the Devs do but it's ducked up.

Roll the dice. Life is a gamble
GRaS is OP. Green Stars are OP
SaND get's everywhere
dtuchpunk Level 75

This is my understanding aswell.

i have my QOS set to only when high priority traffic is detected. My PS4 is the only device that listed as a high priority device. I set my bandwidth control to 70% which means that when my console/high priority device is detected i only use 70% of my 20mbps line which amounts to 14mbps. I then allot 50% to my console which means i allocate 7mbps upload and 7mbps download to my console and the remaining 50% i.e 7mbps is shared amongst any other device on the network thats not listed as a high priority device.

I notice that the in game ping counter always indicates 10-20ms ping slower than my routers ping indicater. If i see on the routers ping indicator 10-20ms then the in game ping shows 30-40ms ping. Is this due to the overhead of othe OSI layers that the game goes through before it gets to the router, as i take that the routers ping is a direct indication to the peer or dedicated server.

My ping assist is set to 0, As I understand this only helps when you place your location in yhe middle of the ocean and shrink your radius rigjt dow. As this will cause the router to not pick up land and will search the entire map for hosts thats in you specified range on the ping assist.

PacMan2point0
Highlighted

As for what causes the discrepancy in our router's ping counter, I couldn't tell you with any degree of certainty. The fact that you are allotting 7mb up, and down, should be plenty. However, I have noticed that I have to go in and manually remove any device, from the device manager, if family was over. At one point, I had around 17 things all staking their claim at my bandwidth, and it sucked removing each one manually.

As far as the ping assist, and having to set your location in the ocean; the few times I have used it, like when the game is running primarily peer hosted servers, I just widen my Geofilter circle to include everything, and then set the ping assist to 25ms. For me, it has only worked a few times. 

As for the ping result: always believe your router over the in-game ping counter. When my routers ping counter indicates anything over 30, my in-game fluctuates from 50-80mbps.

mygamertagsucks Level 75

Studios