The Ballista... is the hit detection supposed to be this inconsistent?

Black Ops forum

I'm having a bit of a tough time with the Ballista.  Sometimes when I point it at people and shoot them from the chest up, they die... but a lot of the time, I point it at them, shoot them from the chest-up and nothing happens, not even a hit-marker.  In one particular game I shot through some guy twice as he stood perfectly still in the same spot.  I switched up to the DSR-50 in the same game and all my shots registered just fine, so I don't think it's lag.

I like the idea of the Ballista - it's faster, but you need to be more accurate with it - a weapon that requires a good deal of skill and tactics to be used effectively.  I'm going to keep persevering with it, but I just wonder if any other Ballista users out there are having a similar experience.

WKMMS
4 REPLIES 4

Only bad experience I am having witht he Ballista is the constant hit markers. It's ridiculous how much it gets hit markers, even with FMJ which supposedly boosts the damage a bit.

Orihamu

I was under the impression that FMJ just increased bullet penetration, which means there is no damage dropoff when shooting through objects. The damage is the same. Secondly, you are prolly getting hitmarkers because you aren't shooting accurately and you are playing core, a hitmarker paradise.

NoLifeKing231

Look at the stats when you equip FMJ, that damage increases. Although the stats always lie in CoD.xD

For a bolt action sniper rifle to hit marker so much is ridiculous. Look at the DSR, that thing barely ever gets hit markers when I use it. It's just stupid that the DSR which you unlock very early is better than the sniper rifle you have to wait until level 43 to use. Also. I hit a lot of my shots using that Ballista, most of them are not to the chest, but the way I like to sniper I can't always get a chest shot. I am not the traditional sniper that sits somewhere scoped in. "Hardscoping" to get a chest shot is easy enough, but it's when I have to drag or quickscope that I end up getting screwed over. Maybe I just need to adapt to it and practice my aiming skills. But I still believe this gun need a little bit of a damage boost.

Orihamu

FMJ doesn't make any difference to normal damage, only damage when penetrating, despite what the stats show.  I've been watching vids on youtube of some the well know sniping fraternity and there does seem to be a feeling among many that the hit detection can be a bit off. 

I'm like you - I try to play a bit more aggressively and usually my dragscope is pretty accurate.  Maybe I've just been unlucky with the lobbies I've been in the last couple of days because the connection has been a bit of a mixed bag of brilliant and horrible for me - it could just be that I've picked it up at the worst possible time.

Still, doing well with the Ballista is more of a satisfying accomplishment than with the DSR-50, so I'm going to keep working at it and if it's something I'm doing wrong, hopefully I'll figure it out and fix it. 

WKMMS

Studios