Teamwork and Tactics with the Assault Shield: My latest video

Black Ops II Xbox 360

I havent seen too many people in-game using the assault shield, have literally never encountered anyone who set one up in a defensive position, and I think its one of the most useful/undervalued tools in the game if utilized correctly. In conjunction with a teammate, equipment, and killstreaks, it becomes the heart of a formidable stronghold.

The following video demonstrates situations where a squadmate and I use shields, mines, shock charges, and guardians to control key points in a given map, (sentry guns also work wonders of course) as well as some amusing/entertaining gameplay centering around this strategy- it is a montage afterall.

Key scenes for discussion can be found below

00:51 - Raid is one map where shield teamwork can really shine. In the main one story building near the Bball court, one shielder can plant his shield and train his weapon towards the rectangular middle area with the tree, a very high traffic zone, while the other has his attention focused on the BBall court side door. Explosives and shock charges take care of the window (at the very least providing ample warning of trouble, at best decimating sneaky flankers). Once attained, guardians and sentrys assist with the main doors or seal the window.

Even if a pesky hacker disables our equipment, he still has to deal with guys behind the shields.

2:50-4:10 Here we can see the effectiveness of the shield against a multitude of threats. Both shield wielders can focus there attention on a single point of attack creating a very tough to penetrate bottleneck. Hijacked is of course an extremely fast paced map, so there is always enemies pouring into either of the two 2nd floor balcony rooms.As you can see, casualties do happen, but the important thing is that one of us almost always survives a particular wave of enemies, and in turn can continue to defend the area until backup arrives.

Another note, at 4minutes, we can see that switching up your previously established position can have a bewildering effect on the enemy, as neither of the two tangos even glanced my way upon entering the kill zone.

4:10 Sometimes you just have to throw caution to the wind and charge to capture an objective. The ability to become a bullet sponge while standing your ground in the objective capping zone can provide you with that essential extra second or two that it takes for a potential game winning cap. Of course capping with a friend in tow is much faster.

But what about actually traveling to your designated stronghold or objective location? The shield can help with that too.

At 4:27 and 6:08 we can see the benefits to sticking together and using both the shield and your numbers to keep an enemy off balance. One shield troop on the move is easy enough to circle around and shoot, but two changes the whole dynamic. The enemy becomes unsure who to attack, and that hesitation usually leads to a shield bashing.

One particular strat we like to employ while on the move is a "Shock and Smash" technique. Who ever is further away will attempt to shock charge an enemy, hindering his mobility but having no ill effect on friendlies, while the other completes the brutal beating.

Dont forget you can use both sides of the shield to defend yourself, should you get attacked from behind. This can be a real bonus for shield placement as seen in the Yemen portion of the video.

All in all I love the shield. It has singlehandedly kept the game new and refreshing, but its not without faults. It can be downright impossible to put down in certain tight places, seems to attract jerk teammates who sit in front of it shooting and knifing, and while sitting behind one and reloading your character will expose his head over the top of the shield for some inane reason. Pratice makes perfect though.

I would love to hear the communities' take on shielding- both my strategy and their own- and my video. Thanks for sticking around through that read and I hope you guys enjoyed the presentation.

BEANTOWN1
3 REPLIES 3

where the heck did the thread go?

BEANTOWN1

where the heck did the thread go?

BEANTOWN1

Sorry guys I think something got screwed up when I posted this originally.

BEANTOWN1

Studios