Should I lower my MTU or not? Does port forwarding play a major role?

Black Ops II Xbox 360

Should I lower my MTU and does port forwarding play a role? If so, how and is their a way to check forward progress?  I tried to check my Xbox from my laptop and it displayed Port 3074 being closed or connection timeout,,,,WTF.  I am using a good linksys router, my download is 11 Mbps I may can get your 2 on the dot for upload.  I want a good connection 90% of the time.  You know what, since I am not a player hater, I want you to have that 90% connection like me so you cannot say oh it is lag comp when I kill you.  Share the tips, and if I have any I will share them too, asap

youcantgetme62
12 REPLIES 12

Port forwarding is important if you have a moderate nat and want to have an open nat. Lowering your MTU is most likely not necessary unless it is set at 1500. Check out the links below to help you with a few things.

Port Forwarding: http://portforward.com/english/applications/port_forwarding/XboxLive360/

DNS & MTU: http://www.charlieintel.com/bo2-intel/the-elagaphant/

ruwal1979

I already checked that stuff oout since MW3, but it seems to others having a MTU 1,500 is not good. Mines is 1,500 as default of the router.  I did forward my ports, but it do not seem to make a difference with lag at all.  I do know spawns is an error of the game but I do think the connection stuff can be addressed and fixed not all the way, but to a point that the game is mpre enjoyable.

youcantgetme62

Does any of that what was explain in that website help you at all?  I think, in my location, its more of having good internet.  I dont think I will encounter a good game of CoD until I return the US. 

youcantgetme62

Is your connection PPPoe.....if so you should probably follow the MTU directions in the link or simply set your MTU to 1492.

If your connection isn't PPPoe, set it to 1472

The DNS section also helped me. Setting my DNS to 8.8.8.8 lowers my ping on average by 10ms. Not a lot but it's something.

ruwal1979

Yeah I already done the DNS thing since MW3, so that is already programed in.  I am not sure what my connection is, see that is the thing, how can you tell if youre using a PPPoe

youcantgetme62

What is your setup?

Does your internet provide provide a modem/router, or are you using your own?

Basically, what is handling your logon to your internet provider?

ruwal1979

yeah, my internet service provider issued a modemn/wireless router, since the router comes preset with settings I used a linksys router I had in the states.  Its a German company but I did have to enter some digits and a password. Let me see, I have to use a translation to the internet site because of the language

youcantgetme62

Well if you log into your router, you should be able to see the connection type on the status page since you are logging on directly from your router using the username and password

ruwal1979

If you figure out which you have, then this description is much easier to follow.

http://www.bestyoucanget.com/optimizemtu.htm

ruwal1979

Studios