Question For FIOS Subscribers [Lag Clusters, Coax vs ENET]

Black Ops II Xbox 360

I have FIOS in my home. Netgear WNDR3800 [hardwired, optimized].

For a while now I'll get what I call Lag Clusters.

My screen will freeze for a sec, then game play will become active for a 10th of a sec...rinse repeat 4x. So its like this...freeze, back in motion, freeze, back in motion, freeze, back in motion, freeze, back in motion...takes maybe 3-5 seconds total for the entire set. I would get this maybe once a night. Recently, its been every 2 hours and its driving me nuts.

I thought it was the game or someone maybe lagswitching cuz during these clusters I'd end up dead by the time it was over...I'll often predict to my friends I'll be dead in a sec and 80% of the time I would. I would ask if they were experiencing it and many times they will say no. So I'm thinking its just me. If I hosted a zombies match with friends and got a lag cluster they would experience it so I'm definitely thinking its my end.

Recently, I read a thread here where a link from Activision was posted on matchmaking. There was a part in the link that spoke of how ISP's sometime erroneuosly flag gaming as spam and throttle accordingly. FIOS says that wouldn't apply to me. I asked if they [tech support] could think anything that could be causing this...answer was no, but with suggestions.

One of which was to break the lease on my IP and be issued a new one. Which they did, not sure if its worked yet.

Another one was to run ethernet from my box [which in my case is outside my home] to the router, replacing the coax. Didn't know that was a possibility. They tech support lady said pro gamers often do this.

My questions for FIOS subscribers is:

1. Have you experienced these lag clusters?

2. Do you have ethernet from the box instead of coax?

Thanks!

rodsirloin
8 REPLIES 8

I have Fios and this is not an issue for me and I am running coax to the terminal on the side of the house.  The only times I have encountered this behavior is just before a host migration or when someone connects to an ongoing game.

You should bypass the Netgear router and plug directly into your Actiontec router. And make sure you or someone else is not hogging your bandwidth with streaming/downloading/etc.

And you are not being flagged for gaming. Gaming is not bandwidth intensive (which is commonly mistaken for).  Watching youtube requires far greater bandwidth than what this game requires.

It's funny they had you break the lease on your router.  They wanted me to do that before they would replace my router even though I had proven to them my router was faulty (dropping packets LAN side/long response times).... which actually could be your case.

Are you using the Netgear for wireless N speeds and hardlining it to the Fios router?  If so then you have the older Actiontec, which is the one i had issues.  If plugging your xbox to the Actiontec directly does not resolve your issue, then I would suggest plugging a PC to the Actiontec and run a continuous ping to the router and then everytime you have the lag spike in cod, go check your PC to see if you dropped packets or see a high ping time (latency).

Do this by Start -> Run -> cmd.  Enter the command "192.168.1.1 -t".  This will run the continuous ping that should output information every second that looks like this:

Reply from 192.168.1.1: bytes=32 time=1ms TTL=64

If you start seeing the time hitting a higher number (like 100ms) then you have a problem.

If you start seeing the message ending in "Destination host unreachable" then you have a problem.

Good luck

Tl;dr: bypass Netgear, possible faulty Fios router

Riteintheeye

I'm actually hardwired into the Netgear for gaming and my computer is plugged into the Actiontec. Microsoft has a new Connectivity Department and they helped me fine tune my set-up around last Summer. The guy spent like 2 hours with me and had me play a match in MW3 to see if my issue was resolved [had something set up incorrectly, can't remember what it was atm].

The Actiontec I have now is the newer one fyi.

Would you happen to know the so your suggestion on Mac, in Terminal I would assume? If not, I'll check on my own...not well versed with Terminal tbh.

rodsirloin

Try this: http://www.wikihow.com/Ping-on-Mac-OS

Just have that running while you game.  Check the output as soon as you start to experience freezing.  If the output looks clean (time=1ms, no packet drops), then move your xbox to the actiontec to rule out the netgear.

Hopefully its your actiontec.  It would get quite technical to figure out the source of your problem is its not.  I wasn't playing cod at the time mine started crapping out, but I'm sure it would have caused a similar issue like yours.

Riteintheeye

This has little to do with Fios or the internet at all. My friend and I both have Xfinity Comcast and have experienced this in both DiRT 3 and Black Ops II. I have even seen it during the single player campaigns of both games. While connected to the internet and not connected to the internet. This is a game issue that some are experiencing and some are not.

KrylonBlue

Thanks a lot for all the help. Appreciated.

rodsirloin

I have Fios with a wireless N router, Actiontec Model #: MI424WR, my gameplay experience actually improved by hardwiring my xbox to the router. Granted I still have lag issues, but not as bad. Not as much freezing. Of course, you will probably be chosing as host everytime there is a host migrati. on, however, I will probably be a much better experience than running a second wireless routher through your Fios Router. This is my experience, hopefully, it can help you.

gamerralph

It is not your internet, is your xbox.  This is a problem which occurs on any game when the console has trouble processing all of the information. You experience a drop in framerate typically occurring about 3-4 times ( or you will see 3-4 frames) before correcting.  It is not something that can be resolved and is and issue with the technology of the xbox.

Secrets#9928843
Highlighted

Exactly as I said. The odd thing I don't understand is why it happens to some of us and not everyone. My friends all have Slims and don't see this. Only me and another friend have this issue and maybe a few I have not talked to. Strange indeed.

KrylonBlue

Studios