No Slow Controller...

Black Ops II Xbox 360

EWW, domed thumbsticks!!!

Yea the extra little trinkets are custom, but the meat of the product is the same as the Genuine 360 pad.

Oh. and for the OP, if you want something that makes a difference, buy some KontrolFreeks.

iKushtyy

iKushtyy wrote:

Oh. and for the OP, if you want something that makes a difference, buy some KontrolFreeks.

Best thing I have ever gotten that has actually helped.

Rednecksniper39

Headset = £150/$200

Special Controller = £80/$120

^^ Expensive Gimmicks

KontrolFreeks = £10/$15

^^ Works

iKushtyy

Kontrol Freaks from Gamestop Power Up Rewards = Free

Rednecksniper39

Exactly so, they fit a niche that the stock dont adress whilst not being "modified" in the sense of the illicit ones.

Clearly if they messed with the board and gave it different inherent properties then they would be bannable.

I find the whole experience of using them more enjoyable so to me they were worth the spend.

As I intimated perhaps not for others, you could say the same about TB headsets you can just use the "stock headset", so why bother? The fact we dont all buy the same stuff is one of the glories of a capitalist society, however it doesn make SCUF, or TB or any other quality accessory manufactures scam merchants!

Mahburg1

You're full of it tbh. I made a replica scuf from a guide on youtube and it were a piece of piss to do. You lot must get seriously ripped off for parts in America! Cost me about £40 all together including the wireless control! Took me all of about 20 minutes to assemble. It's not difficult at all! Scuf really are the biggest con going! If you really don't feel confident doing it yourself you can buy replica scuf's on ebay which are identical but don't have the scuf warrent for about £55!

Treloise1

Yeah I could service my own car as well, but I pay BMW to do it, different strokes for different folks.

Mahburg1

I listed the "American" prices I paid for the items and what the items were.  If you want I can link pictures of it all or post links to the websites i purchased from.  I looked at all of the YouTube guides, and, well, they use crappy parts and make it so you can no longer use the actual buttons on the pad correctly.  I wanted to be able to use the original buttons as well as the paddles on the back.  In order to do that you have to buy very small tactiles and custom make the paddles.  Unless you already had the drill/bits/solder gun/glue gun there is no chance in hell you did this for <$50.

I would love to see your soldering/wiring job.  Also a pic of your tactile placement would be very enjoyable.  I have no doubt it would be a laughing matter judging by your post.

zachsharp

zachsharp wrote:

Until you have tried I would recommend sticking to things you seem to know more about.

I totally agree with this statement.. as per with anything else I talk about on this forum I do so with actual knowledge of what i'm talking about ( as anyone who follows me on twitter will know and attest I spent months last year documenting controllers i made on there)

and with that in mind...here's one I made earlier..  

http://i47.tinypic.com/muwhw3.jpg

as you can see has exactly the same trigger stops (which are just screws) and a hair trigger system which unlike scuffs isnt just a screw drilled into the cover to push against the plastic trigger mechanism mine is designed so it doesnt wreck the plastic like scuffs do

http://i49.tinypic.com/6f6qld.jpg

and I also added paddles although i didnt like them and removed them off later controllers as i didnt find it comfortable

http://i49.tinypic.com/mhge2r.jpg

Here's another one of my creations, in theory was a great idea, in practice after using it the shiney surface gets greasy marks and it drives me mad..also the bullet buttons although looking great imo arent a really snug fit so theres a tiny bit of rattle i notice occasionally. also added squidgrips to this one.. but i cant give high enough props to squidgrips i really love them.

http://i47.tinypic.com/2hzirsg.jpg

zachsharp wrote:

maccabi,

You should try to make a replica Scuf Controller. I spent about ~$100 on supplies ($20 soldering gun, $5 soldering coil, $10 wires/tac switches, $10 sandpaper 220grit/180grit/steel wool, $9 torx 8 screwdriver, $12 clear plastigrip, $5 for black screws, $40 for controller to mod, and I got lucky at ACE Hardware and they gave me some scrap Lexan to be cut and sanded otherwise you are talking about another $20 or more) This is also assuming you have a drill and the proper bits including a threader that is the right size which most people don't have and is another $5.

I'm not going to spend ages on this as its something i've discussed on these forums loads of times before ..

but my modifications cost me in total around £5  each controller total i spent was just under £10 for a few of each item i needed (that was for the screws , thumbsticks and wiring/switches for the paddles)

I already owned a soldering iron and the tools so saved money there.. 

zachsharp wrote:

maccabi,

Soldering and figuring out which board you have inside your controller is a pain in the rear. Getting the wires to lay just right after the solder is a total pain. Getting all of your holes drilled symmetrically and even is next to impossible. Then, to top it off there is a very good chance that you will brick your controller (Happened to me after I am guessing I scraped too much off one of the contacts).

They are not easy to do right.

Until you have tried I would recommend sticking to things you seem to know more about.

This is my main issue with scuffs they solder the wrong side of the circuit board.. the cheap nasty youtube how to way which is bad..

you really shouldn't scrap off the carbon over the contacts and solder onto them, its screws up the buttons, its much better and easier if you spend a few minutes getting a wiring diasgram off the net (theres tons for every version of controller board) and solder directly onto the pins underneath...that way you dont mess up the buttons, its easier to fix a mistake and the woring is alot tidier as the wiring is already underneath the controller board.

(see later comment for more details on my expereince with scuffs)

and this is more for Mahburg..

i had the misfortune of buying  a scuff , wont go into details of all the problems i had (its on the forums somewhere)  but cliff notes i took it apart before sending it back so i know EXACTLY how they do their controllers

they solder the wrong places, and they do NOT replace any part of the circuit boards all the components are stock ms parts , so whatever you may feel or think end of the day the innards of your scuff are stock,

the hair trigger is just a screw that pushes against the plastic armature of the trigger mechanism , the way it works for scuff works BUT it also chews up the plastic which will over time lessen the life of the mechanism alot and also will cause it to stick on the housing as it causes the plastic to burr.

But yes i do consider them a con , but a clever con as it relies on marketing, as you yourself said .. you and your friends who use them find them more reliable than stock controllers BUT thats what they are stock controllers nothing else, any improvement you think you expereince it just placebo as theres nothing different to using a stock controller apart from its new .

Maccabi Level 75

I don't follow you on twitter but it would appear I should!

Great insight and it appears we have been down the same road.

http://i48.tinypic.com/n56hqa.jpg>

http://i50.tinypic.com/amb3up.jpg>

http://i46.tinypic.com/11r6vk6.jpg>

I would have attempted the back but the Matrix for my wireless controller had me questioning whether or not I could solder to the same power point on the board with both tactile switches.  There was only one power point in reach.  I never got around to the paddles because it seemed to not be worth the effort after bricking the controller and wasting 4 tactile switches.  I didn't have any of the prerequisite supplies which is why it cost me so much more.  Out of curiosity, where did you get your paddles?  Did you custom make them?

zachsharp

Studios