Latest Patch Ruined the Game for Me (long)

Black Ops II Xbox 360

I don't expect that this will be everyone's experience, but for me the game is basically unenjoyable now.  It is a pure rage-fest.  I loved the game prior to the patch even with all of its flaws.  I have over 100 hours in the game and looked forward to playing, now I want to walk away from the title.  Yes, I wanted the "lag" fixed.  Yes, I thought SMGs were OP, but I was VERY HAPPY with the Matchmaking.

The Patch Notes posted here don't indicate that they changed Matchmaking, but they CLEARLY did.  I am now consistantly at the very bottom of every single Leaderboard in EVERY lobby that I join.  To the point of being ridiculous.  You would think that by shear coincidence that I would sometimes end up in the middle or near the top of a Leaderboard.  That used to be the case.  I used to end up somewhere in the middle 3rd of the leaderboard and I was very successful (by my standards) under these conditions.

It used to be that EVERYONE in the Lobby was +/- .25 on K/D and +/- 50 points on SPM.  This made for equitable games.  Now, there are at least 4 players in every lobby that are +100 pts on SPM, sometimes +150 points.  Think about that.  In TDM, that amounts to 10-15 more kills per game!  How the hell can they pair me up in a Lobby where there are 4 players that are going to average 10 more kills than me in a given game?!?

It might not be that bad if I were still in the middle 3rd of the Leaderboard, but I am almost always dead last.  Litterally every Lobby with no exaggeration.  When I paired up with a friend who has slightly lower stats than me last night, we were consistently the bottom 2 in EVERY Lobby and he was the Party lead.

To make matters worse, on top of screwing with the Matchmaking, the ruined the FAL and the 870.  By far my two favorite guns.  The FAL is unusable in Full Auto now.  The 870's range was ruined.  It already has the slowest cycle time and required that you not miss else you would surely be killed.  It's a shotgun, it's supposed to win the battles it was winning.  You're already at a disadvantage because you have to play the board in a way that you avoid any long distance engagements.  Also, it seems they slowed the cycle time (which was already bad), so forget about clearing a room.  You're lucky to get 1 guy in a room with multiples.

And the lag isn't fixed.  It's just less noticeable.  I still lose almost every head's up gun battle and am required to get all of my kills by flanking or shooting players in the back, and even then with the lousy hit detection, it's even money on whether the shot will miss (with a shotgun at close range of all things) and the player will turn around and kill me.

All of my stats have gone down as a result of playing for the last 2 days.  Prior to the patch, I was basically a 1.00 K/D and 1.0 Win%, 120 SCM player.  I know that's not very good, but now, I can barely break 1.0, where in reality I was playing at 1.25 K/D prior to the match and pulling my average up from what used to be a .75 K/D, .80 Win%, and 90 SCM.  Now, I think I'd be happy with those crappy numbers.

My last 24 matches:

• 7-9
  • 5-12
  • 17-5 (only lobby I was not one of the bottom 2 players)
  • 8-14
  • 2-2
  • 9-11
  • 7-9
  • 11-13 (now what I consider a "good" match)
  • 5-14
  • 4-6
  • 3-12
  • 5-10
  • 6-6
  • 9-9
  • 11-11 (WOW a "great" run!  3 1.0's in a row! /sarcasm)
  • 11-13
  • 0-4 (game in progress)
  • 0-0 (game in progress
  • 4-9
  • 4-7
  • 8-3 (another Lobby I was in the middle 3rd)
  • 3-6
  • 0-4
  • 13-11 (A "great" match!)

And this wasn't even the worst stretch.  I'd love to take the time and go to theater and get the numbers for yesterday, because it was worse that this, if you can imagine!

I'm sure that there are players that are VERY happy with the changes because now they are being paired up with lesser players.

Vomwaldsain
46 REPLIES 46

I feel your pain brother, but I hate to break it to you... most of us have been getting lobbys like this every since release. Try playing players no lower than 300-500 SPM Every single time. That's my hell.

billyNOTnice

The only solution to this so far, is to try and have someone with a low SPM host the lobby.

Sometimes it gets you slightly easier lobbies.

If you are playing by yourself, try moshpit - generally less of an emphasis on SPM there.

I do find that the recent efforts have focused more on connectivity and less on SPM though.

Tick7

Yup same as me, 300 to 400 spm.  Went from a 1.42 kd on friday night down to 1.37 with over 6000 kills behind me. played mostly negative matches all wekkend.  complete bullshit.  this game now makes a good fucking drink coaster.

SLEDNECK800R

From what I've seen in my lobbies, they widened the SPM range it will match you with from +/- 50 pts to around +/- 125 pts.  This gives the match making servers more people to put you in a lobby with so you can get a better connection.  The +/- 50 pt range was so narrow that, unless you happened to be right in the sweet spot of the bell curve of SPM universe, the system had to put together lobbies from all over the world just to get a simple TDM going.  It was terrible.  I've had people climb through windows I was looking directly at and kill me without me ever seeing them.  The only reason I knew what happened was the kill cam showed him doing it.  If not, I would have figured I was wall banged. They were trying to fix that problem.

Now BO2 behaves (for me anyway) much more like all previous COD titles.  My bullets register.  People cannot kill me in the same frame they appear (or even before they appear). 

zArtfulDgr

That's how I see it as well. They could be matchmaking less on skill and more on connection in public matches which is a good thing in my opinion. If you want to play those with similar skill, go play league play.

vims2011

Ever since the patch the other morning and the addition of HC KC, I've had wonderful matches.

It is hard to understand why there is such a discrepency between gamers on BO2.

greencoffin72

Maybe the lobbies are finally correct and their extra advantage is gone now.

ghorman

No,  I went from playing agaist those that were +/- 50pts, to playing agaist those that are +25 to +200, with a third of the players at least +100, with maybe one player who is -25 (but I am almost always the bottom player in the list).

I could live with being thrown in some of these matches, but where is the balance?  Where are the lobbies where I am in the middle 3rd?  Forget about top 3rd, that's pie-in-the-sky dreaming.

And you can't say that they don't exist or there aren't enough of them, I have been playing with those players since launch.

Vomwaldsain

greencoffin72 wrote:

Ever since the patch the other morning and the addition of HC KC, I've had wonderful matches.

It is hard to understand why there is such a discrepency between gamers on BO2.

if it works for you it must work for everyone else right

infamy96797

Studios