Lag Compensation? Maybe it's something else entirely. Read on.

Black Ops II Xbox 360

Good morning, evening or night anyone who might be reading this.

Two days ago, a friend and I decided to reset our stats and start from the beginning again because we were both max prestige with everything unlocked that we worked toward; simply put, it was boring.  Anyway, we reset our stats together and played all night with not one complaint about insta deaths, shooting first and still dying, dying before we see the other person, etc.  I'm sure you have all experienced what I just stated above in one way or another. 

Every lobby that night felt like we were gods among men and managed to maintain a 10 Win/Loss, only because we would accumulate losses due to hosts dashboarding. 

This brings me to my point:

Today, we began playing and the same thing was happening.  Every lobby we found was easy as pie, constantly getting killstreaks, 50+ kills every game with minimal deaths.  Then, something happened.  This whole time we were playing Ground War with 3 other people, I forgot to mention earlier.  But, we got into a lobby and dominated two games in a row; the same people were on the other team both games.  They stayed for the third too.  The third game, on the other hand was a completely different story.

As I said, the third game consisted of the very same 9 people on the other team as the previous two games.  This game was terrible.  We got shot around corners, died instantly, shot first, bullets didn't register and dropped instantly: Everything that has been complained about by the community since a few weeks after release happened during that very game. In a lobby that we consistently dominated, playing against the same noobs we dominated but ended up being dominated.  We could tell from the beginning, instantly killed running to B by a submachine gun across the map.  It does not make sense to be instakilled across the map, but the killcam showed otherwise.  The killcam showed the person shooting at me for at least 25 bullets, most shots missing, but I did not even see the person until .01 of a second before I died, but could I react? No.  Each of the 3 games we played, I was host.  I could tell I was host because at the beginning of every match I had a 4 bar connection, while everyone else in the lobby, including my team, had a 1 bar.  Also, the game countdown started at either 20 seconds or 15, I don't remember.

We figured it was just 'something', we didn't know how to explain it.  So we left the lobby, found another, and the same thing happened, over and over and over for about two hours until we literally said '**** this game', and got off for the night.  We went from best experience in COD to worst COD experience in the same lobby, and it did not stop.  It wasn't because the players we were playing against were 'good'.  They were still noobs with .25 - .6 KD'S, W/L's, and 50-100SPM's.  We were handicapped; no other explanation.

This makes me question whether it is truly Lag Compensation causing these problems, or something else entirely.  Could it be that there is a handicap in the game?  Would that explain everything that happens?

I'll give some exaples of why I believe Lag Compensation is not the case:

Ever shoot someone first and your bullets go through them?  Only to die instantly, or just lose the gunfight period?  On a 4 bar?  Could it be that instead of "compensating" peoples' connections, could they be completely handicapping certain players?  Could bullet registration be a result of something else and just blamed on Lag Compensation becasue we don't know what else it could possibly be?  Very same lobby, very same host, very same people, and the results of games can turn in a complete 180.  This simply does not add up.

Let me give you another scenario:

Not long ago, my little cousin was at my house on vacation.  We ended up playing Black Ops 2 together and every lobby was easy, once again.  Mind you, this was before I reset my stats.  My stats were around a 2.0KD, 5W/L, 400SPM, and his were around a .5KD, .4W/L, 100SPM.  We were split screening and were going up against people who seemed to be in a 'similar skill level' as him.  During one match we ended up switching controllers; I played on his account, he played on mine.  I was shocked at what happened; it seemed like playing on his account, all of my actions were slowed down. 

To give an example of what I mean by slowed down: I would move my right thumb stick, and my character would turn for what seemed like half of a second, while on my controller/account, it moved instantly with 0 delay.  Same TV, same Xbox, same everything.  The only difference was our stats.  It felt like "Input Lag" if that makes more sense.  It just felt like our reaction times were a big factor in how our players moved in the game, and when we saw people coming around corners, etc.

It was like night and day, on my account I would see people and shoot them dead before they were able to react.  But on his account, it was like I was slowed down.  The sensitivity we used was the same, everything was the same.  But it was different.

What this says to me is:  Maybe it's not lag compensation, maybe it's actually a handicap system.  It makes sense, only because there is no other possible explanation for what has ocurred.  My actions on my account happen instantly, on a terrible stat account, they are delayed.  Not to mention, connections do not change in the same lobby when the host maintains his position as host.  Never has in any other game, probably never will in another game. 

I have one more concern.  Not only does it seem that we are being handicapped in the ways I listed above, but have you ever been killed in 3 bullets by a gun other than the Fal or an LMG?  Have you ever watched a killcam where you are at full health and someone hipfires you, with exactly 3 bullets and you die?  I cannot be the only one who has experienced this.  I have been shot in the legs by exactly three bullets by someone completely unaware of their surroundings in game (ex. Noobs).  That is not lag compensation.  That is a handicap, I'm sorry to say.

Though, I realize none of this can be proven as the truth.  Sure, games can be recorded and entail everything I mentioned above, but it wouldn't make a difference without taking a look at Treyarch's matchmaking code, which they will never release, ever.  I could just be going crazy, but I've played all the Call of Duty games since COD 2 game out, a lot too.  These issues have never happened. 

Well...If they have, they happened when I had a 2 bar or a 3 bar connection, not a perfect 4 bar, or even host. 

Anyway, let me know what you think.  Is any of this possible?  Please don't tell me that Treyarch is not 'smart' enough to implement such features, because they are completely feasible....But, with their morality at stake, would they?  It would make sense to make a game that appeals to new players, and lag compensation can only do so much without being gamebreaking.  Then again, most new players won't notice the changes, because they don't know any better.  Also, it's been done in other games, and has failed.  I really hope this is not the case.  People REALLY don't like being handicapped.

Futile570
50 REPLIES 50
Highlighted

That sucks for you man! I've been lucky with every cod I've played as far as consistency goes. I only play HC though cause it works all the time for me, almost no surprises. I went back to core for a week, same acct, same TV & connection just to prove a point to myself and found core to be too inconsistent. I've been gaming since the 80`s so I'm not some noob who can't aim, core just doesn't play consistent. Anyway as I tell everyone just try HC if core is giving you headaches, give it a fair shot. Good luck!

Restore_Hardcore

Maybe I will give hardcore a shot again.  I used to play a lot of Battlefield Bad Company 2 hardcore and loved it as well as hardcore search and destroy in Black Ops 1.  Who knows, maybe I'll see you in there some time.

Futile570

Ya give it a shot, HC in Battlefield was sick! Core is kinda broke imo in this game, I have my theories but something is wrong. Give your transition to HC some time and just have fun!

Restore_Hardcore

i thought similar before I heard all the lag comp theories. I just assumed players with more experience were being given an advantage of faster reaction times, better auto aim assist, higher damage levels and i would just have to practice to get the same advantages. Is almost everyone I play against really that much better - spotting a target, aiming on target and firing three rounds faster than I can just pull the trigger, certainly feels like I have been handicapped.

ush285t

whatever it is, we will never know... the devs will never admit there is a problem.

what I do know, it's the most inconsistent game I have ever played online second only to mw3 when that first came out.

I have experienced normal lag in other online shooters sure, but never in the manner it seems to affect this game.

good luck trying to convice this place that your issues are real though, it's either your connection or you just suck at the game and you are crying about getting beaten.... or it's all in your head.. lol

darkwitness

Lmao, yeah it's pretty sad because I've won multiple GB tournaments.  I must be terrible, right?  And crazy.  Haha

Futile570

Tell me about it...   anyway, this new hotfix has been the last straw for me, the game is getting traded in for bioshock end of the month. half my friends have stopped playing it.  i have tried, but they win, I suck, i will go back to playing mw2 and mw3 lol

darkwitness

Just you wait, I bet half way through black ops 2 over 100k people will start playing mw3. I'm calling it, I played it last night and only 1.5k in domination. Shocking, I remember how many people started going back to black ops..

GHOSTandGALIL

Lots of ppl in the core list in MW3, not many in HC though.

Restore_Hardcore

Studios