Is lag really the whole problem or...

Black Ops II Xbox 360

Re: Is lag really the whole problem or...

in reply to darkwitness

I concur. This seemed very apparent to me when the game just came out that my movement speed would vary match to match.

Whether the movement speed impacts the game severly I don't know but I can understand the op's point. There's a limit to playing online and maybe that limit has been (b)reached.

Ss78_

in reply to Ss78_

ya, it's just really messed up...

If I could some up my biggest fruststration with this game it would be this;

Cod4;   5 bullets to kill are fired ====>  receiving end.. first bullet, second bullet (small red screen), third bullet (screen gets redder), forth bullet (full red) and fith... death!   

now in most cases that happens so fast there is not much you can do about it, but still there were times you would take those hits and still be able to duck or run behind cover before you get to the forth or fith bullet.

In blops 2 and MW3 it's like this; 

5 bullets to kill ====== >  receiving end.. First bullet.... Death ( killcam shows the Second, third and forth bullet hits from the other guys view according to host server ).

there is no time to react, no time to duck, no time to run to cover.. infact most times you don't even see the time it would take for the other guy to even raise his gun... you see a guy and it's just drop dead, unless you are shooting the guy in the back.

darkwitness

in reply to darkwitness

yes. I don't ever see the red screen anymore. Only if I survived an engagement or get hit by explosions or the random stray bullet through a wall do I seem to go into red. Like you said, If I die, its just death instantly, no lead up.

LordPookums

in reply to darkwitness

This I believe is the major point to why people keep talking about Lag. Lag/camera track/lag compensation are the words used to describe this issue. Even up to MW3 it seemed like you had to aim for at least 100ms before you fired(and players did the same)and sometimes the first 50ms of shots might have been slightly off only partly hitting or barely barely missing. This gave everyone what seemed like a 150ms grace period.

As you got better you could make movements to try to compensate for it...but even when you got really good, you might only lower it to 75ms-100ms. However, when you consider you have that extra 50-75ms advantage against players, that was enough to win every one vs one head on engagement. And the 150ms grace gave you the slight ability to at least ATTEMPT to run away before someone flank fires or an army comes along from the sidelines and blitz fires you. Sometimes you'd die, but usually you'd make it out barely alive, requiring them to give chase. How you reacted to these events determined whether you maintained the kills to raise your killstreak chain, or whether you died and had to restart the chain.

------

In this though, it feels like I have to hope to get my aim right on and fire immediately and get 3 1v1 kills to the other side of the enemy spawn and hope they miss, and then ninja up behind them for a 3-4 part killchain to start my streaks. This will then flip the spawns, allowing me to kill maybe one more person, plus my first streak kills to get my higher streaks. From here I just play Longrange Defensively or fall behind 1-2 of my units to get assists and kills from weakened opponents, while possibly getting some helicopter kills if im using them, if I want to get lodestar.

Once I get lodestar...I then don't really care what happens, I just try to maintain a little more than kill per kill, and I feel godlike.

If its carrier or slums I might try to snipe from a distance instead. And if its hiijacked I might scavenge claymore.

Those are really the only 3 different styles of fighting in my experience. Not much else, just slight weapon differences.

LordPookums
Highlighted

in reply to LordPookums

ya, that is how I play quite often now..

it feels silly and un-natural but when you are at a disadvantage what can you do.  before I had a play style that I stuck to. I never quite, I never dashboarded etc. when I lost, I would see how I could adjust my gameplay to beat the other team.

with this game I don't feel like I am fighting the other team.  I don't feel like I am in competition with the other good players or any of that.  I am fight the delay and quite simply I will do anything to beat it and if I can't i will backout or dashboard.

even when I have a so called "good game" I don't know what to take away from it because I don't know if I won because of my skill or if the other team were suffering the same crap I get 90% of the time.

i use to play clan matches etc, but now I refuse to unless it's at cod4 or mw2. Thats not to say those games were perfect, but they felt more consistent which is the most important thing they had going for them compared to this garbage.

darkwitness

Studios