EMP Grenade vs Black Hat... or another tactical?

Black Ops II Xbox 360

Highlighted

Wanted to get the community's take on Tactical Grenades, particularly the Black Hat and the EMP Grenade. I started this game using primarily the Black Hat, but have recently been using the EMP Grenade more often and really enjoying it.

Black Hat- Just plain fun to use. Nothing like zapping equipment and rushing in to take out whoever may be camping or posting up nearby. Useful on streaks as well, unfortunately abused by some to steal from teammates. I think what has dampened my enthusiasm lately is the "Your Equipment has been hacked" announcement. Seems to render the device useless, plus seems the point reward isn't all that strong.

EMP Grenade- I loved the EMP grenade in MW3, and was glad to see it return. Ironically, I didn't really use it much in spite of that my first two prestiges. Now on my third I am really appreciating it more.  Seems that one downfall of the Black Hat is that it can only be used on one piece of equipment, and folks in this game tend to load up areas with multiple Betties and Shock Charges. The EMP grenade just wipes them clean away, plus stuns and disables the attachments of the user. It seems I get a ton of points as well, 50 for each piece of equipment and for any kills on players I stunned with it. Downside is obviously the risk of a bad throw and hitting teammates with it in HC, but it seems that when I throw it, opponents have no idea where it came from and creates more confusion than the Black Hat. They know their equipment was destroyed, but from where?

So I realized this morning that these are the only two Tacticals I am currently using. Any feelings on these two and which you think is better or prefer to use and why? Is there a tactical out there I am missing the boat on that I should be using? Interested in hearing your thoughts on the various tacticals in this game, as in my personal opinion I feel they are actually useful in this game, where in the past I felt they were somewhat of a throwaway.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75
28 REPLIES 28

I agree with the your equipment has got hacked announcement it severly decreases your chance of getting a kill, or stun when you hack it. EMP seems more useless now because streaks have been increased so not as many people are going for sentrys, agr, etc.

katamariskill

I am thinking that they should have made it so you only get the announcement if you are using Engineer, or possibly Awareness which would make sense as well.

As for the EMP, it seems I hardly ever have to use it on a streak, but it is so useful in HC when paired with Engineer. Plus, on the occasions the higher kill streaks do make an appearance, get crazy points for destroying them.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

I just use the EMP grenades for the assist points in HC SnD.  I think I had 500+ points one game with no kills and just spammed EMPs off the start of each round and got 3-5 assists a round.  Scorewise EMPs are much more useful.  As for killingwise Black Hats are much more useful except when they have people with engineer then you just wasted your Black Hats and gave them 50 points for them hacking it back.

Vrruumm

The amount of points you can get from EMPs is amazing. Got 300 in one throw the other night, plus an additional 50 when a teammate killed the player I had stunned with it.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

I use both the emp and blackhat and one of my setups it's great for games like headquarters

banned-again

So you are using Tactician? Interesting idea. For whatever reason I am not using my lethals as much this game, may be worth a shot.

NiceDrewishFela Level 75

I run tactician as well with emps and BH.  I still like BH for its ability to kill scorestreaks.  I also run scavenger and the points just keep rollin in.  Since they aren't lethal they aren't subject to the initial spawn delay so if you can tag the whole team you will get alot of points from assists.  Makes it easier to get scorestreaks early especially if you run hardline.  Not to mention the splash goes through walls.

I am not sure if hardwired makes you immune though since I havent tested it.  But from the description of hardwired it sounds like it only protects from cuav and emp scorestreak not emp nades thus there doesn't appear to be a counter for them.

SP_6711

I only started using it because I was trying to get the 150 kills without attachments and perks for the pdw camo's and I picked it to beef up the class then found out how many points you could rack up with a single emp and been running it ever since.  it's only really good for hardpoint and hq where people have set up their defences to cap the objectives I got a care package from one emp on nuketown the other day took out a guardian and a crap load of bettys and shockcharges

banned-again

I use the shock charges. If I can get away from someone who shoots first I throw one of those and after it hits I go after them. The daze isnt always perfect but most people expect someone that they just shot to come back around the corner rather than throw a shock charge. And it doesnt have much of a delay before going off.

Reaper1287

Studios