Changing Iphone5 NAT for online gaming

Black Ops II Xbox 360

No just no. Get a group in your area and have a lan party. Satellite internet is possibly better but I'm not sure. If you've no internet in your area then I'd imagine your phone network is also lagging behind but I could be wrong.

Ss78_

Satellite would be infinitely worse.  There is an inherent 500-700ms of latency due to the trip to space.

Iphone should be ok, especially if it's LTE.

Griefbot

I used to play with someone in mw2 with sat and it wasn't that bad afaik but I've never owned it myself so can't say for sure.

Edit: now that I think about it I used to play with someone on a merchant ship in halo 3 and it wasn't that bad for him either.

Ss78_

question, What is your phone carrier? verizon, at&T, Sprint?

Now I will ask what data plan you have with your iphone 5.  There is only one carrier that has unlimited data, and that carrier doesnt have LTE coverage.

Now if you are on AT&T then you might have a grandfathered unlimited data plan that you had before they stopped offering it to new customers.  But even those are throttled once you hit 3.5 g/b for your billing cycle. Basically they dont cut your internet off from your phone but the restrict your bandwidth to a trickle making it impossible to do anything but check your Imessages and emails.  And if youre with verizon, and have an iphone 5, then i guarantee you dont have unlimited data anymore because they changed their contract to all customers that state you lose all grandfathered features, like unlimited data, when you upgrade your phone, and they did that last year.

But the point im getting at is if you are using a mifi hotspot to connect your xbox to the internet to stream game data, your phone bill must be atrocious. especially if you have limited data.  3g/b is 30 dollars a month, and its 10 bucks per g/b after that.  Do you have any idea how much data you are using every minute your xbox is connected to xbox live?

I used to be a customer care rep for AT&T, and i recall a customer I assisted who had an 1800 dollar phone bill for one month because she was watching netflix on her iphone. And that was the netflix app on her phone.

DONT USE YOUR IPHONE TO CONNECT TO XBOX LIVE, your parents will shit a brick when they see the phone bill.

zandelar001

I thought it was only around 15 meg an hour to game when not hosting?

Ss78_

yea but if you have a good lte connection, 5 bars or more, then thats nearly as good as fios landline internet, chances are you are gonna get host for that first game, plus the VOIP voice chat, and everything running in the background on your xbox. plus smartphones handle data differently than pc's and laptops.

zandelar001

Don't jump in and spout things you know very little about.

He may have a 5 bar phone signal, but that indicates just that, a phone signal.

His phone's bandwidth is most likely rivalling that of high end broadband, but his ping will be nothing near it.

Scorr

the last time i checked the bandwidth of my samsung galaxy s3 while tethering my laptop to it for internet, i ran a speed test and i had 10mbps download, 3mb up, wit a ping of 42ms.  thats better than timewarner broadband.  dont presume to think you know that i dont know what I am talking about.  Like i said, Customer and tech support rep for AT&T.  I didnt get that job for not knowing shit guy.

zandelar001

My 50/50 fibre pings around 10 so get your shit straight.

Ss78_

Well, any ammount of research will indicate that gaming uses next to nothing bandwidth.

It certainly won't be much more than this:

http://fpswin.com/call-of-duty/wondered-bandwidth-modern-warfare-3/

So harping on about his 3.5gb fair usage proves your knowledge is less than you think. Here is some further reading that I think you might find usefull too..

http://www.learnthenet.tv/how-to/send-email/index.php

Scorr

Studios