Changing Iphone5 NAT for online gaming

Black Ops II Xbox 360

but do you really think that playing games on his xbox is the only thing hes doing with his iphone? yes playing a game online doesnt use as much data us streaming netflix or a youtube video but it does contribute, and if he plays his xbox as much as most people who like to play online, then his gaming habits are a contribution to his data cap.  But if he is getting strict nat, its because his internet has been throttled for excessive use. I see this and deal with it every day man, its a huge issue with verizon and att customers who pay for unlimited data and arent getting it.

zandelar001

To be fair m8 all you're trying to do is watch out for the guy so he doesn't end up on the street and you deserve much props for looking out for someone. At the end of the day though it's his phone/money/responsibility to do so.

Chill it's all good.

Ss78_
Highlighted

NAT issues are purely down to how your ports are set up, nothing, at all, to do with bandwidth.

Not one bit to do with bandwidth. Nothing. Nada.

Scorr

Scorr wrote:

Well, any ammount of research will indicate that gaming uses next to nothing bandwidth.

It certainly won't be much more than this:

http://fpswin.com/call-of-duty/wondered-bandwidth-modern-warfare-3/

So harping on about his 3.5gb fair usage proves your knowledge is less than you think. Here is some further reading that I think you might find usefull too..

http://www.learnthenet.tv/how-to/send-email/index.php

10KB/s seems a very low number. There are a lot of things that affects the bandwidth, one of them being whether or not you do voice while playing. I monitor my bandwidth and when hosting I do around 75-80 KB/s and around 40 KB/s when Im not. This of course includes everything. I monitor the interface on the XBOX and my UDP is normally aronud those numbers.

Still with those numbers from the reference you posted, his mobile service provider would have been pissed already. Thats about 4.2GB of data a month based on 4hrs of play per day, and Im sure he does more than just play. I do not know if this is LTE or not, but in my geo area, I get a very good ping, and about 30/25 Mbps. I would probably pull host just as often as I do now with my connection.

m4xburrito

oh and i got that speed test and my connection wasnt even lte, yes my phone is an lte phone but i dont live in an lte coverage area, i was connected to a 4g hspa+ connection which is a step down from LTE.  so if he has an iphone 5 and connected in an LTE covereage area with perfect signal, hes probably got even better connection than that. 

zandelar001

That's for him to decide, don't understand why everyone dictates that he shouldn't because of his fair usage.

Scorr

My dad plays with me it only uses up maybe 250 Meg's if I play from the time I wake up to the time I go to bed and I have school during week days so not much to worry about

Scooch114

Can I change my nat type? That's the question

Scooch114

People do stuff like this and the community wonders why there are connectivity issues and laggy lobbies.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

He has no choice though. Its when people have a choice and decide they rather tether is when there is a problem.

DarcHeart

Studios