Can someone provide a rational answer about Quickscoping vs. Camping vs. Run 'n' Gun

Black Ops II Xbox 360

I've been playing Call Of Duty for a long time and it's comical to me how there seems to be no common sense used when making arguments with regards to game play. I've heard pretty much every argument you can think of. I've heard people say some absolutely silly things because they lost.

I for the life of me cannot understand this "Camping" argument.  I am a player who "Adapts" to the game. If I am sitting in a building or an area and enemies continue to run in my area or building and I am racking up kills why would I not stay there? Should I say "Well I've gotten 5 kills in a row in this building and the enemy is probably getting mad at me so let me run out in the open so that I can get sniped or hip fired upon by one the million players running around with an SMG"? In team deathmatch isn't the point of the gametype to get as many kills as possible and in some gametypes isn't the point to defend an objective? Now I'm not the type of player to sit in a corner and wait on somebody to run by unless I know for certain that someone is near me, but even if I was why is that a problem? If I've killed you 3 times in a row and you continue to attack me from the same direction is it not your fault for being kind of stupid. The way I look at it is if you are smart about how you attack me then I can't get kills and will be forced to change my position.

What I don't understand is why the Call Of Duty community by and large hates "THE DREADED CAMPER" but thinks it's ok that people can run around with Sniper rifles as if they are SMG/Shotguns? Or run around with an MP7 like a wild man?

I am true believer however you need to get the job done.

I've heard people say "Anyone can camp, it's easy to do" and my response to that is let's be real if it was THAT easy to do and you we're guaranteed 20 kills a game and a ton of killstreaks/scorestreaks we all know that it would be the preferred play style of Call Of Duty.

It seems as if Modern Warfare 3 and Black Ops II definitely cater to the run and gun style, which I don't particulary care for because as many people don't understand Call Of Duty is HEAVILY based on connections in which case close battles are often frustrating so I try to stay away from them.  I don't have a problem with people that like to play that way I just don't like to do so unless I have to.

So ultimately my question is please can you give me a LEGITIMATE reason why one play style is better or more acceptable than the other? Is it simply because you die by a play style more than others so you feel like it should be removed because 9 out of 10 times that's what it sounds like to me.

WEBMASSTER
17 REPLIES 17

Anyone who thinks you have to do one or the other is an idiot. Plain and simple.

Good players adapt to the situation, to the map, to the team they are on, etc.

Camping isn't always the best way to go, neither is run and gunning.

The argument is extremely tired. If one or the other works for you, go with it. But to be effective you have to adopt various styles.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

I totally agree.

WEBMASSTER

I was camping on Dome yesterday, in the outside area next to the flag. I was the SDC team and I had an LMG and I was sitting behind the barrels. These three guys, just.kept.coming. Even though I killed them everytime, they just kept coming. From my point of view, them dying is their own fault. They should've found another route. They proceeded to get angry because my LMG with FMJ was better than their PDW with Laser Sight at long ranges.

These "anti-campers" hate people that camp because when you kill them, they keep coming back and dying. They don't realise they can go somewhere else - it becomes a obsession for them to kill you. They'll keep trying 'till they succeed. When they don't succeed, they get angry and call you a "pussy camper" that doesn't "know how to play the game." I always just laugh at them.

Vespervin

You know what's funny is that you hit it right on the head.  It does become an obsession to kill you.  I know I've played games where I've died multiple times by the same guy because I'm determined to kill him. I pretty much have an out of body experience.  I'm saying to myself "You know this is stupid, you keep running over there, he keeps killing you, try something else" but I don't. I run in there again like an idiot and I die again. 

WEBMASSTER

^^This^^

Guess what folks... if you keep running to a spot, my smart bet is to keep watching said spot.

Example. On Aftermath today I started on Agora side. Ran through the middle, killed one, couldn't find any others. Ran back to the spawn and took fire from the left. Killed that guy, then another who ran over there. Ran to the right, nobody there, came back and got a triple kill of guys running left. Reloaded and posted up for a second behind the little drink cart. Sure enough, they kept coming back through that office. I was at 15-0 before one of them finally got smart and came through the middle and got me.

That isn't camping.. that is playing smart, and the enemy playing foolishly.

"Being Human totally sucks most of the time.

Videogames are the only thing that make life bearable."

-Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2
NiceDrewishFela Level 75

nicedrewishfela wrote:

^^This^^

Guess what folks... if you keep running to a spot, my smart bet is to keep watching said spot.

Example. On Aftermath today I started on Agora side. Ran through the middle, killed one, couldn't find any others. Ran back to the spawn and took fire from the left. Killed that guy, then another who ran over there. Ran to the right, nobody there, came back and got a triple kill of guys running left. Reloaded and posted up for a second behind the little drink cart. Sure enough, they kept coming back through that office. I was at 15-0 before one of them finally got smart and came through the middle and got me.

That isn't camping.. that is playing smart, and the enemy playing foolishly.

Agreed 100%. I to have done this. They keep coming, I'm gonna keep killing.

jwaller123

All of the playstyles are legit and really we need a mix of all of them to keep the game interesting.  Some might argue that run and gun could stand on it's own but really too much of anything will become boring after awhile.  The only style that isn't too bright but we all love to see (on the other team anyway) is the headless chicken that just can't seem to win a gunfight.  Whether you camp or run and gun those guys are priceless and make all of us feel good.

phxs72

Haha... makes me think of the 'flying soldiers'....   "I don't care if you jump - I'll just shoot you out of the air instead"

Razed88

When they keep coming it's just great - especially when they use the same route but just slow down each time and peek around the corner. Or, my favorite, when they lie prone and slowly crawl out hoping to surprise you. Spoiler alert: it doesn't surpise us.

To the OP, I like to use the term "securing a zone" rather than camping.

YoStabbaStabba

Studios