Why Lag compensation is useless in this day and age.

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

Short and sweet.

Ping and latency changes by the second. Everyone one uses the internet. Most families have 2-3 people online at a time. So while Jimmy junior over their has good internet his father is streaming god knows what while sis is streaming music and mom is playing farmville. What does this have to do with anything? Well lets say compensation is checked, jimmy is slightly behind so he gets compensated and wrecks face. Next think you know dad and sis get off the internet and jimmys connection is back to its great self. It is 2012 after all. He's still being compensated though.

See how it doesn't work? You have no idea what is going on on everyones internet. It flucuates, hell some kids download massive files when they play just so they do lag. Lag compensation is useless in this day an age when everyone is using the internet intermittently.

That is all.

Also, Why are people with a 1 bar connection and warping 10 ft at a time with no actual walk animation allowed to play the game?

ragemode_E
6 REPLIES 6

That is an extreme generalization. I can stream netflix while i play and I will have the absolute worst game.

Figure out what you are talking about first.

If there was 0 lag comp the game would be unplayable.

avengedyesterda

It's not a generalization, and you have strengthened my point by stating you can stream a video and still have a bad game. The generalization is lag compensation itself. Bandwith/latency/ping is not static, therefore it cannot be generalized. Which is what lag compensation does.

ragemode_E

ragemode_E wrote:

It's not a generalization, and you have strengthened my point by stating you can stream a video and still have a bad game

This is not necessarily true. Most online services use no more than 1.5mb/s and most routers are smart enough to equally disperse bandwidth where it's needed. If you have enough internet and a good enough router you won't be able to tell the difference when someone hops online and when they get off

Ghamorra Level 75

Find out what lag compensation is before you post these types of threads

Ghamorra Level 75

ragemode_E wrote:

jimmy is slightly behind so he gets compensated and wrecks face. Next think you know dad and sis get off the internet and jimmys connection is back to its great self. It is 2012 after all.

No your point is false. If I stream a movie I do not get compensated and put on the same level as everyone else. I get extreme lag which i should. If I turn it off I do not instantly have a boost that puts me ahead of everyone.

One thing people seem to not understand is that data connection is not instant. Like anything else with increased distance comes increased times regardless of how much you pay for internet. Unless you have true fiberoptic from you all the way to the host( which you dont )you will need lag compensation.

avengedyesterda
Highlighted

Well I guess there goes my chance for enjoyment. Sad thanksgiving for me.

ChestSplittah

Studios