Why Girls Are Surprised By Negative Attention?

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

No girl should feel unwelcomed playing any video game online.

However, in reality, there are plenty of idiots who play CoD, who verbally abuse others.

Why do the seemingly majority of girls have clan tags like GIRL BABE LADY etc. and other gender identifying PSN IDs?

I do not understand how the negative attention they recieve comes as a surprise to them. Sure some anticipate it, but if you've ever played CoD before you know you're baiting the misogynist brats...

RemoteViewer187
53 REPLIES 53

I think girls are surprised by the way they get treated on COD because in real life people don't say those minds of things to them. So when they log on they don't expect that kind of behavior. And usually girls are more sensitive then guys so when they hear those kinds of things it comes as a shock to them.

illstplaya2live

Well I and my party members always welcome girls to our party and treat them with the same respect  we do with anyone else in our party.

As for lastnight i was in a pre-game lobby and a girl join. some stupid stoned moren started yelling out that there was a "Bit*h in the lobby.

like how stupid could you be to say that?!

ZombiiiSlayer66

ZombiiiSlayer66 wrote:

As for lastnight i was in a pre-game lobby and a girl join. some stupid stoned moren started yelling out that there was a "Bit*h in the lobby.

And to her surprise, she found a moron in the lobby LOL

Alky6

Because most males can't handle the fact that a female beats them in a guys game.

Thembones1

Douchebags will be douchebags...doesn't matter if you're online or at a club. Such is life. I think it gets a bit worse online because the anonimity the cyber world affords everyone. In person, I doubt half the people, male or female, would mouth off like they do over the interwebs.

azn_chic

Of course they wouldn't in real life...I don't blame them though for being some kind of hypocrite. The difference between harrassment over a video game and in real life are obvious. There's no reason to say only what you would in real life.

RemoteViewer187

why does speaking to someone over a microphone instead of in person give you carte blanche to be an a-hole to them?  are they less of a person or deserving less respect because you cannot see or touch them? 

Tell me, what exactly are the differences in harassment in person vs using a microphone.  U cannot say because it's a video game because both you and the person you harrass are real people, not  video game characters.  Do you treat women like chit when you're on the phone?

Kothar44

You are misunderstanding me.

Obviously it is wrong to harrass anyone in video game or real life.

The obvious difference between the two, is that harrassment in a video game does not give a reasonable person fear for their physical safety. In real life, if someone is in your face yelling, you have reason to fear that they will become violent.

The same reason why azn called them out for hiding behind anonymity online is why video game harrassment is different and less harmful than the same conduct in person.

RemoteViewer187

So if you were harrassed in every lobby it wouldn't bother you because there is no real physical threat?  It would do nothing to reduce your enjoyment of the game?

Kothar44

Studios