Turning the security / firewall off on your router ... think again ?

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

Where is this original post from activision you speak of glasgow-sparky?

Can you link it please?

PortlandWombat

Firewall of my router is off by default

scuab

I never paid attention until yesterday of the first step in disabling firewall features. I disabled the following on my linksys WRT54GL router:

Block Anonymous Internet Requests
Filter Multicast
Filter Internet NAT Redirection
Filter IDENT(Port 113)

I don't know if this was a coincidence or maybe just a good day, but after doing this, and before the latest 1.04 patch, when I shot someone first they actually died... imagine that. I already had my PS3 IP address in the dmz before disabling those features.

BuddyVA

can someone else try this to confirm if this really works?

BuddyVA

First off, disabling the firewal on the router does not open your home network up to viruses etc IF your network is setup correctly.

Change the default admin name login and password to your router

Change the SSID (or the name of your wireless router's network) from the default

Disable broadcasting the SSID of your wireless router

This simply keeps random people from scanning for available networks and finding yours. 

Enable Security on your router

This requires devices to input a password (plus since you aren't broadcasting your SSID of your router, they have to know the name of your router as well. 

Disabling the firewall on your router cause the router to not work as hard translating incoming / outgoing data. (Very simple explanation).

If your computers connected to your router have their firewall on and a decent AV software running you will be fine.  Most "Viruses" that people get are actually malware they get from shady website or clicking on links in random emails.  Having the firewall on in the router does NOT prevent these type of intrusions.

In fact some router's firmware and the firewall they use can actually cause conflicts when the firewalls on computers are active as well.

Now to address "Why should I have to do this etc"

As games progress, guess what...they actually use more data.  They use more ports.  More features mean more data. 

The easiest solution for ONE console on your router is to give it a static IP (make sure you take this ip out of your DHCP range in your router) then add it to a DMZ on the router.

DMZ is a "Demilitarized Zone".  It simply opens up your console to all inbound / outbound traffic.  The router doesn't try to recognize or filter any of that data to THAT device.

People think routers simply give them  internet.  Others wonder why their latest, greatest high tech router doesn't work as well (online gaming wise) as their friend's old POS router.  Simple - the new router had a lot more features and a lot more options.  It uses more of the router's internal processor and memory to perform all these added functions.  Most old routers simply don't have these options.

Another thing to consider is the DNS servers you are using. Most people use the default servers from their ISP. The router acts as a DNS server, but it actually just routes traffic to the ISP's DNS servers by default.  Test your DNS servers by testing ping.  Your best DNS server selection will vary depending on where you live. 

Personally I recommend setting the manual DNS server addresses (When you assign static IP address) on your PS3 directly.  I've used OPENDNS and GOOGLE DNS servers and have definitely noticed a difference in how long it takes to sign into the PSN network (just one example).

Activision is working to the least common denominator.  Not every person trying to play BO2 online knows about routers, IP addresses etc. So they try to make it easy as they can.

I know that adding the DD-WRT firmware on my router, testing different settings etc have made it so I have two PS3's, three laptops and a printer on my wireless and I run most of the time with zero lag on BO2.  Sure, I'll get put into shitty lobbies, it happens.  Lately the only time I get lag is when I'm partied up with someone who has an unreliable connection.

Note I didn't say "Slow" connection.  Broadband is broadband.  It's not about bandwidth with most online gaming (like BO2). 

I only get 8-9 down on my connection (Wireless). My friend has a business class speed connection because he works from home. His download bandwidth was triple mine easy. (Speed tests verified this). He still lagged horribly and had trouble joining lobbies and parties on BO2.  After doing some simple changes (like I describe above) he know has is PS3 working with most matches having no lag.

ctandc1

Studios