Turning the security / firewall off on your router ... think again ?

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

Highlighted

Just recently seen Activision has posted advice on basically disabling the secruity on your're router this is probably the thickest solution I have ever heard!

Ask yourself this question :

How come I don't need to do this for any other game just Black Ops 2 ?

Answer:
Because Black Ops 2 networking is f*cked and the developers are struggling to contain all the complaints         

As a technical Support student do not muck about with the security on your router especially if your ISP ( internet service provider) gave you the hardware

The game should work without having to port forward , disable firewalls because in my 10 years I have never even touched my router just put the game in the PS3 and played fine.

glasgow-sparky
15 REPLIES 15

Dear Student,

While you are somewhat correct, that is not always the case.

Lets start with the following:  most ISPs give out PoS gateways because they've partnered with these companies to get a good deal. 

Also, many routers/gateways still don't think about gaming consoles when making their devices, and you MAY in fact need to do special configuation like port forwarding/dmz etc to get your console to connect.

Many Routers have a moderate or strict NAT out of the box.  This won't work for many games. (well, for parties and hearing other players).  This is an issue some for some gamers.

Let me ask you, student.  If there's NO reason to adjust these settings, why are the settings there to be adjusted?  Why is router firmware even accessable by the end user?

PortlandWombat

Through the years I have had many different types of hardware all provided by my ISP.

The settings are on there for more advance users thats the reasons why when companies make hardware they never make them so specific that they only can perform 1 task theres many options and capablities for different things but just for playing a game online via console the advance configuration ( in my case) has never been needed.

Advance configuration comes as standard but it's not an escape clause for developers to blame consumers hardware at home for their terrible netcoding

In any case telling gamers who have little IT to turn there firewall of is still wrong can leave computers on a home network with devasting viruses etc

glasgow-sparky

No one's saying that turning your firewall off complete is a good thing.  However your original post points out things like port forwarding, which can improve game play for specialized services like PSN/Xbox live ETC.

Routers are NOT developed for everyone's needs.  So they do a standard sete up, with many ports not open on their firewall for general consumers, BUT, leave the option for you to customize the device for your needs.

EDIT NOTE: fixed a typo

PortlandWombat

Turning off the entire firewall to your router is just a stupid thing to do in the first place.

And yes, putting your PS3 on a static IP and setting that IP up to a DMZ does in fact help with other games. It makes your PS3 "friendlier" when communicating with other peoples' machines. If you had an iota of an idea of what you're talking about you'd know this already.

BTW you've been doing it wrong for ten years by NOT setting up your router properly.

1. Go into your router.

2. Find where there's an area for "gaming and applications" (the wording may not be exact from brand to brand but there'll be something along those lines).

3. Find the DMZ tab.

4. Set a static IP for your PS3 (it'll look something like 192.168.1._ ) you should set the number for the DMZ a few numbers away from where your other devices are.. like "5" or "8"

5. Click save settings and go to the PS3 now.

6. Go into your PS3's network settings>internet connection settings> enter the static IP that you put into your router into your PS3 now so they match (that 192.168.1._ number).

7. YOu should set all the other numbers in there too like the primary DNS and all that jazz. (it can be found on your computer by going to START>RUN> type in CMD. then type in ipconfig/all scroll up to the top of the page and you'll find all the numbers you need there)

8. Save your network settings.

9. It's best to power reboot your router and modem at this point to make sure the changes are recognised.

Now you're set to play online and connect well the right way.

el2kay

I have no reason do this because every other online game I have played has been fine why should I need to change my configuration for 1 game when I know for sure its not at my end.

glasgow-sparky

glasgow-sparky wrote:

I have no reason do this because every other online game I have played has been fine why should I need to change my configuration for 1 game when I know for sure its not at my end.

Yep you're right; it's everyone else who's wrong.

Carry on

el2kay

I can understand, the hardware we use now has changed drastically over the past decade.  The only thing that burns me up, is I've made all these changes, and my in game experience hasn't changed at all.  Still laggy.

Highwayman0226

what kind of router are you using highwayman0226?

PortlandWombat

Sorry, had to jump away for a bit.  It's a netgear WNDR 4000, gigabit, dual band.  I've found my optimal MTU, DMZ'd, port forwarded, changed the DNS server.  Last night I jacked the modem right into the PS3.  All these changes make the game either SLIGHTLY better or no difference at all.  I said before, it's just driving me nuts that Treyarch is making me feel like it's something on my end.

Highwayman0226

Studios