Black Ops II PlayStation 3

I have been a COD player since COD2 on the PC and migrated to the PS3 for COD4 and so on for the online multiplayer option. I am a firm believer that the reason COD has gone downhill since MW2 is not weapon balance, map design, lag/lag compensation, shoddy in-game coding and programming or "little/immature kids". I believe one of the main reasons that COD has digressed in the past three years is simple - CAREER STAT TRACKING or COD Elite as it were and title and emblem achievements.

Yes I know these titles and emblems you can earn is what makes part of COD so fun, but it also is a fact that everyone wants to compare how beastly they think they are and is leading to the increased boosting, hacking/glitching, and cheating for K/D and other accolades. I know boosting for rank has been around since COD4, but it was never that big of an issue until career stats and title/emblem challenges were kept for everyone to see. MW2 as great as a game as it was (and the best COD to date, IMO), set in motion for what boosting, kill whoring and spawn killing has become today. I will not deny the other issues described above as needing to be addressed, they most certainly do. What it plain comes down to is everyone wanting to be "The Man" or "The Woman" in COD and it leads to the problem, no one plays objectives, no one plays as a team for the win and almost everyone wants a K/D ratio that is far reaching and realistically not possible and like most players, the challenge to get every know title, emblem and achievement completed.

If you got rid of Elite as far as tracking career stats and only knew your K/D ratio as far back as what your last match K/D was, then relegated your emblems and titles to one’s personal accomplishment not for everyone to see, there would be far less cheating problems and maybe more could be concentrated on lag/lag compensation, weapon balance and map design.

I know titles and emblems are a huge part of COD these past 3 years but it continues to cause even more boosting other than your K/D.

If you were a COD4 or WaW player you will understand, if not, you may never understand. The satisfaction that us hardcore players from those days got was all about the WIN, IDK what my K/D was back then, I do not care, I just remember epic Dom battles were it came down to who could hold B Flag longer or fighting the real gunfight to get the last kill in a 75-74 TDM, not to see how many killstreaks I could rack up and where the only campers you needed to worry about were the ones camping in Sabotage and Demolition, because, well…. that was the point, to hold that objective down and let no one destroy it. Ahhh well, the good ol’ days…. Few and far between now, but it was a fun ride once upon a time.

Manser52
6 REPLIES 6

Interesting and different theory, stats to me are not the issues (to me) but you feel differently and thats cool.

But......

Let me ask you this, or maybe others can input their response:

Why do so many think that MW2 was the "best" version of COD?

When I read these claims, I think, it was to "you" and if each game after that never measured up (and were at the third one) why play any other game than MW2?

Comparing previous titles is meaningless, because each title brings something new (bad or good).

Good post BTW.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Izjar11 Level 75

I have been pondering this for a long time. CoD2 was ok. I had more fun on W@W personally but everyone has there favorites. I have switched platforms quite a bit myself so I think seeing how it plays in different 'Arena's' gives you some perspective.

ZvErS

My feeling that MW2 WAS the best, in its heyday, is because of how fluid the game play was and how hit detection worked with almost no lag. COD 4 is like 1b to me, it had the same fun factor, little bit slower game play, but same great hit detection and almost no lag. With that said, I stress it WAS the best because MW2 also brought in the bad qualities I mentioned above and since it is unplayable now due to the hacking. So while I feel MW2 played the best and it provided the best online MP experience, it also contributed to the problems I see now. Only reason I do not go back to COD4 or MW2 is that they are both hacked to hell and even less fun then the incarnations we have today. MW3 is becoming hacked and is the worst online experience I have ever had in any online FPS, first time I stopped playing any COD through the year until the next title was released. BO and BO 2 are on par with each other currently, as far as lag and such, IMO and with far less glitching/hacking. Currently I give my attention to BO 2 because that is the game that is current and still offers some new qualities.

Manser52

I played Cod2 and 3 on xbox in college. Played MW1, W@W and MW2 on PC. MW2 to present on PS3. I agree 100%. Trying to go for too much with old hardware too. I remember those days in W@W on PC....ahhhhhh. Glorious! Too many sprinkles and not enough ice cream is an analogy that comes to mind. Hopefully, the new console hardware is powerful enough to handle the extra goodies because something tells me that they aren't going to abandon what they have started.

ZvErS

I appreciate your support but I think you missed the point.

If, in fact, Activision, would have any future studio whether it be Treyarch / Infinity Ward / Sledgehammer / Raven, or whoever works on the next title, return to the "Glory Days" of COD4 and WaW, as far as keeping career stats out of the public eye, modern technology and next-gen consoles are not needed to have a fun, enjoyable experience. People, in general, would not know or care of their personal accolades and KDR, since there is no record of it. Leaving the only fun part of the game left is to win matches.

If you are referring to the other issues plaguing the title such as lag/lag compensation and shoddy in-game coding and programming, leading to hacking/glitching and overall console security, then yes, you may be correct in stating next-gen consoles and up-to-date technology could help to relieve some of those issues.

Manser52

absolutely 100% true brother. the guys in my clan, group, are all older 30+. i am 42,most of us have military background. we don't care bout stats, emblems all that shit. the 75-74 wins,those are the best.  we play as a real fire team would in a real combat situation and for the most part have a blast doing so. we keep spawns from being flipped,we have front line guys,"runners&gunners"and our objective players. we get called campers cheaters glitchers etc,etc,etc...basically it's a war game,always has been,always will be. when all you care about is some meadal or trophy,your missing the point of the game. teaming up with your brothers,making a plan and kicking ass,if you get a few awards along the way,even sweeter!!

LJGXX

Studios