Lack of documentation

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

One thing I wish the COD franchise should improve on is the documentation available for their games.

MW3 made a small step forward in posting hot fix patch notes on the forum .. eventually... but I still find that how things are calculated are still very vague.  A user should not have to go outside of the product to get information about how the product is used.  Thats poor design.

Example 1: Match bonus.  We get it but it is not explained.  Just from observation I notice that the higher your level the higher your match bonus is.  Also if you win its more than if you lose.  How it is calculated is anyones guess.  We dont know if kills or capturing objectives has a postive impact on how much you get. It would be nice to know how it is calculated so more advanced players can tweak their behaviour in game to maximize this.

Example 2: Score streaks. They come up with this new great idea about having the points you earn mean something but havent taken the time to explain how many points you are awarded for specific actions.  Im not solely blaming Treyarch but the COD franchise as a whole has not made that information readily available to their hard core fans.  It would be pretty easy to document and create a link in the game to an updates or a manual where those type of things are explained.

Example 3: Patch notes.  We get updates/tweaks to guns/map fixes/ but no one knows what they do.  You have to come online a few days after and see if they had time to document what they spent weeks changing. 

I am sure other forum members can add to this list but Treyarch and the community managers should get the picture. 

I propose a simple solution.  Have an in game link that will take you to your official site where the documentation is stored.  The idea is very similiar to the link to the PSN store which was implemented so quickly when you realized you would be able to entice players to spend money.  The coding for that is realtively simple.  My developers were able to implement that link in the product I manage in about 3 hours.  I am sure you can find the time to implement this. 

No more excuses lets get it done!

kourtvizion
16 REPLIES 16

Information is power.

Interpret that any way you like.

PS. Good thread.

RobbieRocket

Thanks.

It would be nice to understand the game we spend so much time playing.  There are independent sites which outline certain things like damage per weapon but instead of having someone do it from scratch they should just put it in the game.  The user guide for the game would be nice but since the information is dynamic I think being able to change it on the fly via a webpage would be more condusive for this project.

kourtvizion

I wish they would release the following:

Game specs
Network requirements

Engine data

Hosting information
Match Making information

I would just like to know how all this works so I can optimize my experience and so that everyone else can do the same. We saw with MW3 how people were intentionally dumbing their internet to avoid the match making mess. So many people got involved in this that it completely destroyed the game even more

I would like to know the facts instead of speculating

Ghamorra Level 75

I feel you man.  I wish they would release some of that information also. The only thing is the balance between company secrets and user knowledge.  Like Robbie said knowledge is power so if they give us inside info like the engine, I can see how they might think they are compromising their competitive advantage.  I agree with you though.  I personally would love this information

kourtvizion

Agreed "G", very very good point.

BanHaMMer2

ghamorra wrote:

I wish they would release the following:

Game specs
Network requirements

Engine data

Hosting information
Match Making information

I would just like to know how all this works so I can optimize my experience and so that everyone else can do the same. We saw with MW3 how people were intentionally dumbing their internet to avoid the match making mess. So many people got involved in this that it completely destroyed the game even more

I would like to know the facts instead of speculating

All good ideas. You know there's a reason they don't release it, first thought that comes to mind is a negative one, that its the same from previous titles. Lets just hope its not.

"We do not rise to the level of our expectations. We fall to the level
of our training"
Izjar11 Level 75

Great info. 

Example 1 is perfectly spot on. 

Example 2 we will earn as soon as we start playing this title. 

I 100% agree with Example 3 b/c not most people actually know about this forum, just ask some of your fellow gamers when your online and you'll see.  So it's not fair to only provide it online, they should include a blurb when you have to dl the patch that includes what fixes are taking place when you dl said patch. 

wridtrvlr

I understand that with example 2 time will eventually fill in the blanks with information but thats not to say that they should not put the information out there. Its almost like buying a car with a navigation system and not providing a manual and saying well after you fidget with it for a while you will get the hang of it.  The point is that they have the information readily available and they should make it available because it is directly related to the outcome of your performance.  Thats my view.

kourtvizion

I would love more info. I believe the hardcore gamer would get a ton out of it. Sometimes though people want too much. Im not saying you, but I keep reading on these forums, particulary the zombies topic, that people want more info. (perks and what they do, more gameplay footage, ect...). When the game comes out we will get the info you want.

In your second request. I think its apples to oranges to your navigation refrence. You will know how many points you get for what in 2 matches of gameplay. It could take months to learn everything about your navigation lol.

I think you are dead on though with your first and third points.

Great post

jrutkisontheps3

Studios