Lack of documentation

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

You are right it was an exaggeration for a navigation system but it was to illustrate a point.  We shouldnt be left to fend for ourselves on how we are rewarded in the game.  thanks for your input though I hope they seriously consider these points

kourtvizion

I get the impression that it would not be beneficial for the devs or Acti. to release certain information - many of the things discussed here.

The reason I think that may simply be because they have not.

Perhaps it is to prevent players from seeing inside the machine, or shatter the illusion, or even to hide the problems.

RobbieRocket

I agree with you robbie that some info is just a no no. I would however like to know what they are fixing every time they make an update.

jrutkisontheps3

I totally agree.  If the wrong information is released then it could have a disasterous effect on their competitive edge, however, information directly related to gameplay, if released would not have that effect.  I think thats what I am pushing for more than the mechanics of the gameplay. Things like how you score a game.  how you reward a bonus or what changes are made in a patch wouldnt give their competitors any advantage in my opinion.  things like the engine they use might so I can see how it would affect their decision to release it to just anybody.

kourtvizion

This is irrelevant but I'd like to design a points system for TDM. I've always felt it was not objective oriented.

RobbieRocket
  1. Mostly not a concern of the greater population. I wouldn't see any harm in it being posted.
  2. Same as above.
  3. Treyarch's history with patchnotes has been sound. They were updated the morning after or night of the patch going live. I know this because a lot of times I was given the information and told to update the thread. This was when JD was our CM and after. Though a link to information in game would make sense.
Moderator Moderator
Highlighted
in reply to FoxhoundFPS#9280196

Thank you for your response Fox.

In response:

1 & 2:  I understand that it is not a concern for the greater population.  90 % of gamers probably would not read it but it doesnt give immunity to the developers to provide the documentation.  The information should be there giving the users choice on whether or not they would like to part take in reading it.  75 % of  other games provide detailed information on how scoring is calculated. Its not an unreasonable request to know how you determine score since you changed the focus from kills to score.  These were mere examples.  The point is information is missing so we dont get a complete picture.  I am asking for the complete picture.

3.  I would have to say your point of view is a bit biased working for the company.  I have been an avid follower of the forums for some years now and patch notes are updated not the day after.  It seems that things are pretty hectic with timelines and the forums are an after thought.  Yes patch notes were released for MW3 and black ops but I dont think its a good model to have users search through all the garbage that is posted on the forum to get to changes they make the game.  It's making the assumption that users have access to a PC and would like to spend the time searching for the information.  I am glad you agree an in game link would be a better option.  Even if it was a link to this forum and that specific thread.  

kourtvizion

Studios