I do NOT understand 'lag' or compensation. (Please be gentle!)

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

true... I often get select as host because my internet quality passes, but my ISP resticts P2P uploads to 80Kbps (not even KBps) so everyone in the game gets 2-3 bar at best

* they are supposed to change this so I will finally get full usage of the 3MBps I am paying for... *sheesh*

RLBL

I am glad I posted! Thank you all for your positive contributions! From all the flaming/trolling I'd read I wasn't expecting a positive response, especially considering how much I wrote, I almost didn't bother!

I have read everything you have each written and I am greatful. Turns out I knew more than I thought, I should give myself more credit, but you have certainly reaffirmed my thoughts/assumptions, thank you!

I would be keen to hear your thoughts on my questions below...

Can I play MP without the patch, can I uninstall it and play as I was before?

Will/can they fix this?

Is it just me, or are others experiencing this AS I DESCRIBE? Am I/we the huge minority? Are most people (99%) playing fine no problems?

Is it always going to be one or the other? Better for some due to a good connection, or a disadvantage to some due to a good connection. Is there no middle ground?

Do other games have this problem?

If you have an average connection, not good enough to host, but good enough not to experience delay, are you the majority, do you enjoy the game just fine?

What do we think they have changed in the patch that's affecting me so negatively?

N8thanAshley1

N8thanAshley wrote:

Can I play MP without the patch, can I uninstall it and play as I was before?

- no... you will not be matched to people with the patch (e.g. everyone else)

Will/can they fix this?

- one has to define fix. But if everyone used BEST as a search pref... things would be slightly better some of the time.

Is it just me, or are others experiencing this AS I DESCRIBE? Am I/we the huge minority? Are most people (99%) playing fine no problems?

- I would think that EVERYONE experiences this at least some, if not most of the time... which is a sad truth in today's day and age and the worldwide success of COD.  If people from BFN never player, the issues would be lessened to an extent

Is it always going to be one or the other? Better for some due to a good connection, or a disadvantage to some due to a good connection. Is there no middle ground?

- you can rarely find a lobby with all "locale" players and it is fantastic when you do... but for the most part *sigh*

Do other games have this problem?

- God yes! Example: I was in a NHL13 tournament and I was always behind. I could not do anything because the players on the other team were a step ahead.

If you have an average connection, not good enough to host, but good enough not to experience delay, are you the majority, do you enjoy the game just fine?

- I have in the past deliberately turned uPnP off so my NAT went to strict. When I could connect to a game I would do very well, but I knew I was making it a bad experience for others.

What do we think they have changed in the patch that's affecting me so negatively?

- No clue... it is unfortunate that everyone is not (can not?!) enjoy the games to their full extent

RLBL

THANK YOU!!!

Perhaps prior to the patch the 'best' option performed better for me, perhaps they felt that people were having to wait, search too long so they widened it, resulting in me/us playing games with worse connection but getting in to lobby's quicker. I thought it was fast enough personally.

I also think that as you say many people may not be playing this option as they don't even know it exists!!! It is kinda hidden. None of my pals knew where it was for the first week, we knew it was planned and were disappointed when we couldn't find it!

Can I be suffering lag, and someone else be suffering host lag compensation in the same game, at the same time, I guess they can but what I'm struggling with is who is gaining the advantage and why, cause its not me, and feels like everyone else in the game presently?!

N8thanAshley1

Studios