I do NOT understand 'lag' or compensation. (Please be gentle!)

Black Ops II PlayStation 3

yes... but it is not because of your "good internet" or someone ele's "bad internet"

What you are seeing is this 100% , pure and simple:

The player who shot you (who you did not see yet) was already there.  The problem is you see them after they were there on their end.  You will see this in the following examples:

- you shoot at someone's head, and nothing is registering. After you die you see them drop shot you

- You think someone is coming around the corner, so you ADS.  For some unknown reason your gun moves (aim assist) but nobody is there.  After a split second, you see the person and start to shoot*

* this is a great example to analyze:

Your gun moved because the system knows that the player is there, but he is ahead of his hitbox (from a visual perspective).

If he does not see you, you shoot at his hitbox (the visual representation of it) when it finally comes around the corner.  The person dies (yay)... but in the final kill cam you see the blood spatter behind him! That is lag compensation and hit detection WORKING.  You actually shot behind him and the system said: we are correcting it because on lag and we detect a hit.

If he does see you, he will fire on you before you ever saw him come around the corner. By the time he does come around it looks like he zoomed around the corner, insta-aimed on you and you died by 1 bullet.  When this happens people scream: "Aim Bot". What really happened is you are seeing the influx of information (packets) and everything happens all of the sudden, but the reality is: It already happened.

You should be able to see that this has NOTHING to do with the quality of your internet.

(the other day I was pointing at a windown because I saw someone run into a house. My gun moved before I saw him so I knew to start firing. I saw hits being registered becfore his image was in the window. It looked weird, but what I explained above is what happened.

I hope you understand... I know it can be somewhat illogical but we are not dealing with the real world... we are dealing with packets trasnferring information and the lag in said transfers... and the compensation for said lag.

Cheers!!

RLBL

To be fair.. You can hear me yell into my mic that "I shot him 1st" as it can be frustrating. But I calm down as I know what is going on.  I hope the host migrates or I leave the lobby the next game.

RLBL

It sounds like you experience it from time to time, but it goes away as the host migrates or you quit the game? I'm suffering with this constantly, in every game?!?

N8thanAshley1

That is exactly the opposite to what he is saying... he stated that when he has 3 bars the shots actually register better than when he is 4 bars.

So by your logic, people with more bars would have lower latency to the host which would make them able to see people with higher latency first, shoot first and therefore get his bullets registered to the host first. Making that person get the kill.

That would be awesome and that is how we want the game to work. The problem is that when you have 3 bars and everyone else has 4 bars, that person (as of now) has the advantage.

DiabolusBR

You just described exactly what I said... re-read my post

RLBL

I couldn't disagree more! I am having the same negative experience you describe and I have crap Internet!

N8thanAshley1

lag is the delay between your system sending data to the host and recieving it back (ping) the only way around the current problem is to have more localised play. Have you by any chance found that you are in lobbies that are (for want of a better word) full of foreigners? this would mean that the host chosen would be the one located closest to a central location to all players in the lobby and say for instance that player was based in turkey because others were based in south africa or australia then it would severely increase the ping, if it was a game based in the uk for instance depending on your internet the ping could be as low as 5ms if you are local to the host.

I have just ran a ping test from my work location (Nottingham, UK) the the following:

Milton Keynes: ping = 35ms, packet loss = 0%, Jitter = 2ms

Cape Town: Ping = 182ms, Packet loss = 0%, Jitter = 1ms

I know my internet at home is better than this but lets use this as an example as it is what an average person in the UK might have.

What this is showning is the length of time data travels from my system to theirs and back. You could test it on yours by going to www.pingtest.net which would show your results. Lag compensation is there to compensate the difference in time other people in the lobby send and recieve the data and in theory should match the person the host, the problem is that it doesn't seem to at the minute hence all the complaints on the forum.

Hope this helps a little!

crosby85

good post! very interresting read and actually drawing out more sensible answers than most rant posts on here

ZOMBIE-PAPA

Yep... this thread (along with some other points that have been brought out by some other esteemed colleagues: Robbie, Chesty, Maccbi, Capp, G and others... should be compiled and stickied)

RLBL

The quality if the game connection is a sum of all connections in the game.  If you have one weak link, say someone in Brazil or Europe ( Assuming you live in North America) the experience will big down. A good example of this is on old PC that simply wouldn't let you join their server if your ping time was over 100ms. Why, because it slows everyone else down too.

Another problem is the hosts that it picks.  My friend often gets host, and he only has a 0.5mbps upload.  There is just no way that this speed is sufficent for quality hosting.  Most people don't have upload speeds that are truly good enough to host.

nickzombie

Studios