32 Replies Latest reply: Mar 5, 2014 5:31 AM by Momba1 RSS

VAC BAN - Lasted 2 minutes, anyone know why?

seomradubh

Hi all, just a quickie. I got this message last night:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p96tuqdl3x4g92h/vac_banned.png

I was fairly mad, I tried three times to replay a match before it started working again. Once, and once only did I try the fovely fov changer for one or two matches, and that was about two or three weeks ago.

I have changed settings in the options menu, and on the multi-player config file.

As I mentioned I can play again online, but why did this message appear if I am allowed to play? Anybody any ideas on this?

Before you ask, I have not downloaded or installed any other program to alter the game in any way, in other words I am not a hacker! One look at my stats will tell you I don't cheat...

• Re: VAC BAN - Lasted 2 minutes, anyone know why?
          seomradubh

After more searching I am just wondering am I banned from VAC servers only (and not non-vac servers) since I can still play the game in multiplayer?

Is there any way of finding out? I am very new to multiplayer gaming, and call of duty, so am not sure how to find out this kind of info!

"Before you ask, I have not downloaded or installed any other program to alter the game in any way, in other words I am not a hacker! One look at my stats will tell you I don't cheat..."

or maybe u just started cheating and got banned right away lol oh its gonna start soon i think... all the crying about bans if they start showing up.

seomradubh

Yeah, that's always going to be a possibility, early bans, 'how could i be cheating if I have a bad score'. Well that really is my excuse, I have only just discovered that using one soldier with 3 loadouts is plenty when you only play tdm, cranked and free for all. I have been ranking up pretty fast in the last two weeks and lag has been much less of a problem Many tweaks in the options menu, many nvidia updates, and two ghosts patches later!!!)

Thats why I am mad, I am just getting there, my kd ratio recently has been around the 1:1 ratio, which is great, but my team death match ratio was something like .30 until recently. its about .40 now. I get to play about an hour a day..

I am still wondering why the message appeared, then let me back playing the game within a few minutes, that's the bit I cant understand. I accept using fovely as a reason for being banned, but surely they can discriminate against something that is truly cheating versus changing your field of view?

Momba1

Okay one player I know and he's friend on an opposing clan recently received a Vac Ban; never mind the utter stupidity on a Level 50 Steam account. Oh he could play Ghosts for a day maybe two after the Vac Ban, so if your Steam Account now has a pretty new 'VAC Ban' listed on it then soon you'll be locked-out permanently.

A Vac Ban has nothing to do with Activision or Infinity Ward, so you'll need to ask Steam not here for help.

You will not receive a Vac Ban for messing with your Config file or running FRAPS ... if they were then in that case I'd be long gone. FRAPS is a capture program and has a FPS overlay utility and doesn't interact with the game. FRAPS would kill-off YouTubers and many players running FRAPS to diagnose FPS issues in Ghosts and many, many other games.

If you were running a third-party app like a FoV Changer or some Hack then that's probably the reason.

As far as i know VAC ban is irreversible a part when few years ago they banned 22.000 players by mistake on mw2 like a friend of mine lol and yeah FOV changer could have been detected as third party program -> hacks!

seomradubh

Just checked my ID here:

http://www.vacbanned.com/

And it looks clear at the moment. I will check tomorrow/next week to see what is going on. If I cant play I will contact steam or whoever looks after this!

dbkvaternik

Regarding all the comments about third party FOV changers, I feel they are cheating. Cheating is defined as an unfair advantage. When player A (FOVer) sees more of the screen than player B, it's an unfair advantage. Player A is using something outside the game to  enhance their play.

I for one welcome the ban hammer; may it be far and wide reaching.

Momba1

dbkvaternik wrote:

Regarding all the comments about third party FOV changers, I feel they are cheating. Cheating is defined as an unfair advantage. When player A (FOVer) sees more of the screen than player B, it's an unfair advantage. Player A is using something outside the game to  enhance their play.

I for one welcome the ban hammer; may it be far and wide reaching.

Okay we went from this (approved) -> Twitter / ATVIAssist: @Wolf_za You will not get banned ...  to this (ban) -> Twitter / InfinityWard: Update re: PC bans - Any players ...

Our clan is extremely anti-cheat and [while] an FoV [was] approved we used MapMods, but the same day of the IW Tweet we stopped and many of us completely stopped playing until the FoV was added back into the game ... we're still PO'ed its not the 90 we all demanded; pff IW listen ... LMAO!

So the only 'cheat' or 'cheaters' are those that don't follow the rules. During the time [when] you were allowed to use a FoV Changer you were not cheating and if you or other players don't keep up with current rules of the game ... well banter somewhere else. Further, if you chose not to use an allowed [third-party app] during the approved time-frame then ditto .. your choice and/or failings to keep up.

Mr_Pistolero

You were banned? I actually don't believe you. LOL

I just left FFA and it was 3 aimbotters playing.

So I can't see how "your banned" for cheating because there are barely any players playing and way to many "cheaters still playing" for any sort of banhammer to have occurred recently. Did the banhammer detected 8 players?(lol) It obviously didn't happen yet. and if did. well that's just a total joke then.

I got the same message dude. I used the FoV changer once when the game first came out. Played around 3 matches then backed up the game, and uninstalled it for if they ever decided to fix the lag and add a proper FoV slider.

I re-installed it today and ran Dxtory to view my FPS in game. Played a few matches and got the same message as you. I tried about 3 times to get back on and managed to do so. I do not have a VAC bans on record and my ID seems clean.

seomradubh

That sounds about right.

Had a few games last night, no issues other than a bad internet connection on my side, (that's country living for you!) Lag was a huge issue, lost connection and gave up. But I didn't get that vac ban message again.

I also checked the vacbanned.com site again today and no change there. I still wonder if it had anything to do with a few clearly dodgy lobbies I have been in, especially the ones close to the vac ban message itself? I will check again in a week or so, I wont be surprised either way now anyway!

Is it just me or have the online numbers gone down in the last week also? There seems to have been 7000+ up to last week, now there could be half that. I did reduce the ping number in the config file, would this have affected the numbers? Almost no-one ever in cranked now???

Tintindye

I got the same message yesterday, i never used a FOV program third party, the only program i used is FRAPS, It happen after  a steam update i think its a glitch from stream. i never hack in my entire life. To be sure, i removed Fraps from my computer.

I hate cheaters from the botom of my heart.

Sorry for my english

I am reading this with a big grin on my face

At last -us clean players- do not have to defend ourselves or argue with these so called gamers.

Yup , there will be players banned without a good reason but the majority will get a huge kick in the butt.

So , I'm happy ......

Plz hackers , get frustrated / mad / confused ....... and feel what we have felt when you decided to ruin OUR game !

Momba1

Keep in mind the OP said [2 Minutes] and then it, the ban, disappeared. I've heard others having the same issues and are people who clearly are NOT hacking (low and I mean low KDR's). Best I can tell is this was a glitch that thankfully didn't have a lasting effect.

Mr_Pistolero

Nah, no-one is getting banned. Every other player is claiming to be some sort of sound whore (who keeps locking on your position thru walls) LOL.

It's funny because hearing sound doesn't make a human turn and stare through the wall directly at his target. 1st off there is no reason for a human to bother to try & stare through a wall if that's where he felt the sound is coming from.. If we heard a sound and were a TRUE "sound whore" (who is thinking on his toes) I would immediately flick to the opening the enemy can come from, I wouldn't try to lock on them through a wall because that's where I hear the sound coming from because that's not normal. As a human I know the map layouts and know staring at a wall in the direction I hear a sound coming from won't help. I need to ready up on the entrances.

This MINDLESS locking on players through walls is exactly that. A mindless cheat that turns the cheater in the direction of the target through walls (aims at the target for the cheater) then when you are finally in front of their face (in the same room) they make 1 pivot that stops just as the edge of cheaters crosshairs reach you and then a second pivot that locks perfectly on a part of the enemies anatomy as soon as the cheater puts up ads. So if you see a mix of pivots that either stop dead on you through walls, does 1 perfect pivot to the target when the enemy enters the same room, or a perfect double pivot (1st pivot stops when the cheaters reticle reaches the target then does a second pivot/"lock-on" an the enemies anatomy as ads goes up.) If you keep seeing these 3 instances/pivots in your killcam from the same players you can guarantee (YOU HAVE A CHEATER USING A SCRIPTED AIMBOT TO PLAY THIS GAME).

seomradubh

Its funny, I got my first kill through a wall the other day, i heard foot steps above me (octane above the restaurant), some one set up a sat com, i went out side, lined up myself to aim at the orange dot on the mini map and let loose, took a lot of strafing/mouse movements and a full clip to kill though, but that is the difference between aimbots and real players, aimbots kill you with the minimum number of rounds to kill for their gun, which is pretty tough on anyone trying hard to get good at the game.

Mr_Pistolero

Well yes I forgot to add that you should be in stealth mode (dead silent, off the grid, silencer etc..) when your trying to determine if someone is cheating or just good.

It's when you know that you aren't on radar and people are doing what I mentioned previously is when it really shines that they are cheaters who are identifying enemies with an aim cheat rather than the tools given in game. The perfect pivot & the double pivot to enemy targets gives them away. After a while they are just plain out NOTICEABLE, how repetitive the 2 are done, then add the "thru the wall" pivot.

It's Just like after watching so many "squads" AI killcams. If you posted a video of an IA character from ghosts playing I would immediately recognize it. because for me the movements (turn speed, single pivot targeting ,double pivot targeting)  are fairly easy to identify on the (full auto) aimbot scripted for the AI. So its the same when a human uses it. (the antics of the cheat) become NOTICEABLE. So whether or not it's detected or not doesn't matter, the fact is many people will spot it and call out the cheaters using it.

Now the problem is... Thats what they are waiting for.. NOW they get to feel ALMIGHTY and say you suck at the game because of a failed anti-cheat system.

seomradubh

Well, I am still online, status still clean, still playing (pretty badly at the moment, but my day too will come!) So I am happy so far. I am glad the message appeared too, I was growing tired of getting obliterated by teams with magical powers of perception (I am not talking about players using amplify, I use that myself), it may mean there is actually something being done about cheating. I really don't mind getting beaten by good players, kill cams reveal enough of their gameplay style that you don't see shown on the you tube videos.

So thanks for the feedback (and positive trolling!)

Sooooo, should I mark this question as answered?

Postmanliver

No need here to tell the tale.)))) You're just a dumb cheater. Received his ban!)))))

Momba1

Sometimes you need to scratch your head, accept people simply cannot read, and move on... The OP does NOT have a Vac Ban, instead he saw a pop-up message stating his "... account is VAC banned...' and then it, the message disappeared; aka a glitch. I looked-up the OP's Steam - Steam Community :: seomradubh and it has NO bans!

Now if I saw that message on my Steam account first I'd crap my pants and then second since I never cheat I'd be furious! Especially when it disappeared, and yeah I'd probably post a thread here as well or I'd go to the Support section with a 'WTF' thread.

Occasionally and typically after some lovely 'patch' I run FRAPS to hopefully undo the so called 'fixes' where my FPS is all screwed-up and run FRAP because this BS game doesn't have a built-in FPS indicator and in the past when my GD SLI was failing to work I tried everything including messing with my Config file. Does anyone remember the [priority] lock-ups?! Pff it took the 3rd patch for IW to make the game playable for SLI and ditto about the 4th patch for CF players; otherwise the game was strobing so bad it was seizure inducing; example - http://i.imgur.com/UIqnjak.jpg and since yesterday another 'patch' is driving me cRaZy yet again!

Mr_Pistolero

Well until we get a response from a dev or support we don't know what that message is.. It could be a glitch, or maybe that's something from IW that means it's getting passed onto vac & the vac delayed ban will happen when it happens (next banhammer). So maybe in some time there will be a vac ban on his account.

If I we're the OP or someone who recieved this message, I would contact Steam support or IW Support and find out if the message is 100% a glitch or if it means they're getting banned on the next VAC banhammer.

Momba1

I know someone who actually received a Vac Ban playing Ghosts (old friend on an opposing clan) and it stuck; nothing like the OP's situation. The Vac Ban appeared on their Steam account. Steam doesn't screw around giving out Vac Bans nor by oopsy accidents and once you have one, Vac Ban, it takes an act of God to reverse it. This is a Glitch and the OP wasn't the first to find it.

Mr_Pistolero

Ok, did this old friend confirm he recieved the same exact message? I never recieved a VAC ban. But I thought that the VAC ban message would come from vac overlay and not from a message within the game.

Momba1

RE: (deleted via Mr_Pistolero) "Yes but we didn't see a screenshot of this message to determine if its from steam or IW.

I know that VAC wouldn't do that (ban then let back in). But maybe when IW figures out your cheating before steam does they send the info to steam and they kick you with a ban message (for whatever reason maybe it's IW way of saying haha) and now your in que for waiting for the next banhammer.

I may be reaching. But without any official report on what that message is, my guess is as good as yours."

VAC = Steam's (Valve Anti-Cheat) so the message's origin would indeed be from Steam, not IW's (IAC).

Lets look at facts:

• FACT 1: OP has no Vac Bans
                                                                    • FACT 2: The [games] message disappeared
                                                                    • FACT 3: Others have reported the same problem
                                                                    • FACT 4: Once Vac Banned it simply doesn't disappear

I'm a programmer (SQL/PHP) and all the game needed to do is to read a bad piece of data aka Corruption (1 vs 0 or a True/False or bad code aka look-up/patch/glitch) and you get a message, error, or other erroneous data.

As far as the friend, I don't know!? All he showed me is a copy/paste from his conversation from Steam regarding the reasoning of the Vac Ban. The game message comes from Steam (a Vac Ban) and Infinity Ward's database, look-up(s), which I would assume to be comprised of: Steam_ID, Date_Time_Stamp, Game_ID_Code, Vac_Status (true or false) and/or IW's Ban_Status (true or false). Pretty much the way I'd code it....

Therefore ... Glitch.

• Re: Re: VAC BAN - Lasted 2 minutes, anyone know why?
                                                                        Mr_Pistolero

Momba1 wrote:

VAC = Steam's (Valve Anti-Cheat) so the message's origin would indeed be from Steam, not IW's (IAC).

Lets look at facts:

• FACT 1: OP has no Vac Bans
                                                                        • FACT 2: The [games] message disappeared
                                                                        • FACT 3: Others have reported the same problem
                                                                        • FACT 4: Once Vac Banned it simply doesn't disappear

I'm a programmer (SQL/PHP) and all the game needed to do is to read a bad piece of data aka Corruption (1 vs 0 or a True/False or bad code aka look-up/patch/glitch) and you get a message, error, or other erroneous data.

As far as the friend, I don't know!? All he showed me is a copy/paste from his conversation from Steam regarding the reasoning of the Vac Ban. The game message comes from Steam (a Vac Ban) and Infinity Ward's database, look-up(s), which I would assume to be comprised of: Steam_ID, Date_Time_Stamp, Game_ID_Code, Vac_Status (true or false) and/or IW's Ban_Status (true or false). Pretty much the way I'd code it....

Therefore ... Glitch.

HWeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeellllllllllllllllll Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me!

LOL

seomradubh

Still playing online, no other alerts, no ban on vacbanned.com, so I can only imagine you are correct, glitch!

I witnessed some pretty obvious aimbot/wallhacks at the double xp weekend. This guy was blatantly cheating, admitting it, though it was great fun???

Anyway, I am going to mark this as the correct answer!

Thanks

seomradubh

Just noticed this:

"

• Fix for false positive VAC ban message when Steam servers are non-responsive or if the user's VAC status cannot be determined.

"

in the additional fixes section at:

Ghosts PC Updates (8/4/14)

just in case there are still people worried about getting a vac ban for no apparent reason after seeing the message in game!