25 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2014 6:54 PM by Lifearrow RSS

My strategy for being a strong team player... the "AMMO GUY"

DanDanielsonXx

Hi Everyone-

I just read a great post from x1HxTakeNotez describing his strategy for solo play on nightfall and it inspired me to write this post about my favorite strategy for working with a team to survive the Nightfall. Please feel free to leave comments and additional tips that you believe will help people be more  productive team players. (My loadout and style for Point of Contact is nothing close to this, there may be a future post on that if requested.)

First off... Ammo. I love being the "Ammo Guy". Sure its a strain on the wallet, but it is one of the most important roles a person can play in team mode. I max it out immediately on the first 2 hives and throw out a new box before each drill is planted. Always before the drill plant. $1250 is not going to make or break a money spending challenge, but it will make a world of difference on a spend no money challenge. If I'm low on cash I'm never afraid to ask for some cash... people always love the ammo guy and rarely refuse a cash loan request, especially when they know I'm about to replenish them with some sweet, sweet explosive goodness.

My next round of skill points are going into my pistol... ????.... I know what you are thinking. How does that help the team? I will tell you shorty, please be patient... If you accomplish all the challenges on the first section (not too hard at all) Then that puts you at level 4 pistols and you can now hold weapons. This allows you to keep one gun slot for your favorite weapon and the other slot for the team. The team slot is for whatever weapon challenge comes up. I can't tell you how beneficial it is to the team to be able to complete these challenges without forcing less skilled players to drop a good weapon that they are comfortable and more effective with. Don't worry guys I got this... just hit me with some boosters if you can... you already know I never need ammo . I stop at level 4 on pistols at this point, usually holding an LMG in my favorite slot in order to keep the Rhinos off my homies.

Next round of skill points goes into my Medic class. I bring that up to level 4 as fast as I can and stop there. Obviously, at this point everyone on the team is being spit at by those a-hole scorpions and at level 4 I don't have to think twice about running in a yellow cloud for a revive.

*** Side tip for novices (carry and max out your armor early. you will instinctively throw it out when you are in trouble, and if you do go down anyway... It will get you revived without fail if a medic can pick up max armor just before attempting a revive on you.

Next up is... Akimbo pistols... anyone that plays pistols only relic knows that dual MP-443s are comparable in killing speed to a death machine in close quarters and they reload fast too. Once you go Akimbo.... you will be running fast, killing fast, reloading fast, and throwing so much ammo to fulfill your double handed alien killing rage that your teammates will think you are going crazy with all the ammo you are throwing down. (They will be right in this case.) Just keep feeding this Ammo Guy with performance enhancing drugs (boosters & feral) and you will be choking on ammo all game long. I try to throw out a fresh box every time I see money dropped or boosters on the ground.

The rest of the skill points acquired I use in all different areas depending on the deficiencies of the team and the challenges that arise. With this loadout and upgrade sequence there will surely be more skill points coming your way. As far as Strike package I prefer IMS. It is great for babysitting the drill when you are off doing challenges or getting a revive. They can also give you good cover while reviving in a crowd. As far as equalizer... I leave completely up to you.

This strategy has served me well and I hope it helps some of you who are still trying to find something that works. It is incredibly fun as well... which is most important.

Please feel free to post about what works for you guys. And I know someone has a loadout and style that perfectly compliments my loadout and level up strategy... lets hear it.

All the best,

DanDanielsonXx

Shout out to x1HxTakeNotez for his post on solo play that started the trend in extremely long posts. LOL

Send me a request if I don't get to you first.

• Re: My strategy for being a strong team player... the "AMMO GUY"
          PugnaxAlbere

My best Team loadout is the Medic class.... Given this is a FPS a lot of people latch onto the WEAP SPEC class and never let go, you do have options lol. I latched onto Medic out of the need for one since no one else would play one forever when Ghosts came out and still wouldn't after they unlocked the other classes to play with...... the quick n dirty?

Medic

Magnum

Explosive ammo

Feral Inst,

Sentry

Riot Shield

With this class in POC or NF I can outrun all monsters... never go down unless Im last man up and am overwhelmed. I get a lot of kills and assists, I get the revives which I like even though we get no money like repairing. I still get **** for using the magnum but I love that damn hunk o' steel and it's damage rating! Sentry gun? Who wouldn't want dual miniguns covering their ass? Riot Shield is hands down the cheapest slab of thick skin you can slap on your back when things get hairy.... ever trying reviving your whole team with 2 rhinos on your back for the run back in POC? I have and will swear before God that that silly riot sheild made it all possible lol. In short folks try different things on your runs, when with higher level players ask them why they picked their loadout and how they make it work so well in game. Extinction presents us with many different ways to play it and win so we should try whatever worked for someone else because it might just work for us!

DanDanielsonXx

That's a great point Pug. Communication will make even the least skilled players better. Let people know what you are doing. What weapons you are buying, searchables you found but don't need, where you are placing your mini guns, grenade turrets and sentry guns: all useful information for the team. It avoids everyone in the team from buying the same weapons at the same time and most important is to ask what people are spending skill points on so you don't overlap.

I can't tell you how many times people make a plan in the lobby, then when things start getting crazy people don't stick to the plan. Its not too bad as long as you let people know what you are doing, so at least people can try to change the plan on the fly to make up for it.

How many times have you heard... "Who was supposed to level up armor?" or whatever the example maybe. Someone forgot to or needed to spend the points on something else... not the end of the mission as long as you let everyone know.

Keep the posts coming fellas... Pug if you are on 360 send me an invite... I play late night after all the paperwork is done and kids are asleep.

dustycrow

medic

pistol varries

explosive for nightfall/ fire for poc

team booster

sentry for poc/ ims for nightfall

riot shield

i upgrade my medic to 4 and then get my team support/ammo up depending on which im covering by 2nd section i work towards maxing out my shield/sentry depending on the map and on 3rd area i work on maxing out my riot shield my sentries on poc and my medic if i have the spare points. any extra get put towards my ammo/pistol. i use my riot shield to tank every rhino and even if im reviving someone hey i got 25 health on my ass i can turn my back towards them. i love my revives and with my speed boosts im to the person asap. i dont kill to much so i love team boosters cuz it lasts a full min which is a long time when ur getting swarmed and i can easily make back the cash as well as use a lmg if i want to. i offer cover support mainly and focus towards reviving my team and taking damage for them in the long run

Stinky666

Nightfall and POC are slightly different for me.

NIGHTFALL:

• Engineer Class
                • Grach Pistol
                • Explosive Ammo
                • Team Booster
                • IMS
                • Riot Shield

I use my first 8 points to go towards ammo + booster. I will add 2 to ammo, 2 to booster, 2 to ammo, 2 to booster. Why? Because some times you get a "use pistols" so then it's upgraded ammo enough to do that. Other times you get a few things where you need to knife "50% accuracy", or "don't reload". They can be at any random time, so it's good to do it this way.

Once those 2 are fully upgraded, hopefully we can get the additional 2 from the breeder (the challenge + defeat), which I use on pistols. I then use the next 2 on pistols to carry two primary weapons, for challenges.

Next I will upgrade Engineer fully. After that, I will do 1 for my riot shield, and finally do my IMS. If I have enough remaining I then do my akimbo pistols (that's obviously if we have done all challenges).

I ALWAYS supply a constant stream of ammo + boosters. I am an ammo/booster guy.

POINT OF CONTACT:

• Medic Class
                • Grach Pistol
                • Explosive Ammo
                • Team Booster
                • Vulture
                • Riot Shield

I start with the same, which is Ammo + Boosters.

Next I do medic to +3 so the gas clouds don't harm me- Money is easy to obtain on POC in my opinion, so I don't mind swapping out custom weapons for challenge weapons.

Next I do my Vulture to maximum. Then I do my pistols to 1.

After that I will do my final medic upgrade of 3 points.

I always refuse to switch out my team boosters for anything else, unless it's a lobby of people I have played with before and know will upgrade their's if they use it. I have been in far too many games where two of us have had booster, so I figured "I'll switch mine". Then they don't upgrade there's. I feel boosters (team and feral) make a HUGE difference in this game.

philp18

here's mine: (if i am in a good lobby,else i use like stinky ammo+team booster))

POINT OF CONTACT:

• Medic Class
                    • Grach Pistol
                    • Explosive Ammo
                    • Armor
                    • Sentries
                    • Riot Shield

First at all i max out armor

then 2 points for pistols

next medic +3

if we done all changes i start upgrade my sentries

during the game i often look at score screen in order to see my teamates cash.

if the ammo guy is often with low cash , i start upgrading my ammos ,else i continue with my sentries.

NIGHTFALL:

• Medic Class
                    • Grach Pistol
                    • Explosive Ammo
                    • Armor
                    • Vultur
                    • Riot Shield

in Nightfall i do it a bit different:

first i max out armor in the first 2 hives.

then i keep my points until the first breeder challenge::

if we have the 90 seconds chalenge , i may upgrade pistols to buy an LMG as second primary if i think the team needs it and it allows me to be ready for weapons challenges.

if we have the eggs challenges , i prefer upgrade my ammos to max  because in nightfall it is hard to have cash so i try to help the ammo guy provinding some ammos.(when possible )

then i upgrad medic+3

i finish with vultur.

I think that in nightfall it is better if 2 people have ammos maxed as in the second area it is a very difficult job to be ammo+booster guy . even in the final battle if you don't kill the breeder quickly ,some extra upgraded ammos don't waste.

DanDanielsonXx

You can play in my lobby anytime Stinky . That loadout and strategy is about as strong as they come. A good engineer is invaluable for the third section of Nightfall. You basically turn into a banker at that stage with all the money you rake in from the traps.

Anyone that hasn't tried a loadout like this should definitely give this strategy a try.

You can always tell who the engineer was on Nightfall because they are usually the player with a few hundred kills more than everyone else.

I have also heard that maxing out the class makes your explosive ammo more effective. Its pretty clear that the explosions graphically look larger in the game, but does it drop aliens faster? I believe it does, not sure if its just in my head though.

Has anyone made or found a good video test on this?

JSlayer211

I don't really play PoC anymore lol. So I will post how I best help my teams in Nightfall.

Nightfall:

• Engineer
                      • Magnum
                      • Explosive Ammo (this goes without saying for most lol)
                      • Random Items or Team Explosives
                      • Sentry Gun
                      • Grenade Turret

Most times for me, when I run into randoms in the lobby. The thing they suck the worst at is killing. They can't harm a fly and just when you depend on the random to pick up the kill on his side of the map you realize you are getting swarmed up the backside by Cryptids that should have been long since dead. Even in a decent team, I find that I am often times the most efficient slayer (with or without Engineer). So the best way I can help a team succeed is to pretty much slay 50% of all the Cryptids that we will encounter lol. There have been lots of games where I will be 575+ kills and the whole team will have roughly 550-650 total kills minus me.

Medic is the new love child class for Nightfall so most of the times, they will run around clueless to the scorpions sitting there sniping the team to death with the gases that don't affect them. It then becomes my duty to be on Scorpion duty and keep them down at all times when possible for the sake of everyone else. Enough of the into, let me discuss the order and operation of this loadout.

First thing first, I max the Grenade Turret. Grenade Turret is quite possibly the strongest weapon in the game imo. If you get the Turret challenge, this thing makes it a laugh. Also once, you are done with any given challenge you can step back into it and mop up just about everything from a range. After the Turret is maxed, start working on your Engineer class. Going into the second area (Compound I think it is?), there are loads of helpful traps that will keep your team nice and cozy. Even when you get pesky challenges like "Don't use any abilities" or "Don't reload your weapon" these traps will continue to put in monstrous work for you as they soften up everything that comes to you if not completely kill them.

Now that you are done with engineer you can work on your sentry guns and they should be maxed by the end of the Weapons Facility. Inside the WF, just keep those traps burning. Sentry guns down and throw down that grenade turret for your buddies to use in the event you are making the rounds to turn on the traps. In the WF you should be bursting with money for the team to have, just keep dropping it so they can keep supplying each other. Just remember to slow down on your money spending towards the end of the final hive as you will surely have more equipment active than you can take with you if you aren't mindful of how close you are to completion.

You should have a few extra points to put into something at this point. I would suggest the Pistols as you will more than likely have to rely on it at some times during the Final Breeder. During the Final Breeder, you stay back with that grenade turret and destroy all the seekers/scouts/eggs and they focus on the Breeder. They will wonder how is this final boss fight so easy. It's because you are the support slayer where before noone ever filled the role. Halftime you drop double sentries and stand behind your turret and drop the rhinos/phantoms with a giggle. Breeder comes back down and you move sentries to cover incoming Cryptids. Continue to shoot eggs/etc. just now add the pods to your list. The Breeder will drop unbelievably fast if they are focused on it. Mission accomplished and you have pretty much carried the team by doing some of the most boring parts of the game that most rather not do.

DanDanielsonXx

hell yeah J... the "BIG BROTHER" loadout lol

thnx for posting.

Stinky666

The reason you (and I) get 300+ more kills than other people, is due to setting the traps as an Engineer, or at least that's what I have always put it down to. If I run Medic on Nightfall, I will notice I only get about 100 - 150 kills more than other people, and not the 300 I would if I was an Engineer. If I get put in a lobby with another Engineer, I switch to Medic, but then I hate it when we're in the WF and they don't activate the traps (especially the electric ones).

I think it's funny when Medics seem to think they are invincible, from everything and not just Scorpions. As an Engineer, I think I am more aware of my surroundings because I need to be, since I don't have Armor to supply, so I am constantly killing as soon as I can. I've had plenty of games where Medics seem to get downed by Scorpions, and yet I don't haha. It's funny.

Personally, I love to be one of the guys shooting the breeder, either with my Venom-X or Chainsaw. With me have a huge wallet (well, 2k more), I feel it makes a difference, and the fact I have the booster + ammo (though other people usually have upgraded ammo by that point). As soon as the breeder shoots the eggs, you know it obviously, not just from the fact the AI says "shoot the eggs", but typically there is a pattern with the Breeder. So I will keep shooting it, then turn around, shoot the eggs, turn back and keep shooting the breeder.

Gotta love it when everyone runs around like headless chickens and they are all spread out, rather than sticking together.

JSlayer211

I understand the traps play a big part of the added kills and don't over inflate my own ego to think otherwise. Yet, if someone else runs the engineer, they are more than likely to finish with 400 kills and I'm like "wtf happened?" lol Also I have run into the same things you complain about in the WF, slowly turning on the electric traps and smh as I knew I shouldn't have ever trusted someone else to play Engineer if I haven't run with them before lol.

Don't get me wrong, I would MUCH rather be up front attacking the breeder, yet I know if I do there is noone to count on to take care of the other things. A gang of seekers going off at the same time can be deadly by themselves. The thing about the eggs is that they are often times shot behind cover. So you may have seen where the eggs landed but a ledge/corner/pillar is blocking you from shooting them in time so I just rather have someone patrol the rear area and take them out with ease.

The added 2k bonus money for Engineer is moreso a responsibility to me to conserve as I am more times than not CERTAIN, that the randoms will have spent all of their money by half time so those double sentry guns and Grenade Turret expenses end up coming out of my pocket to keep us well in control of the Rhinos.

Stinky666

Luckily I usually play with at least one other person (of a few different people, philippe being one), and we have "arrangements". Where by, I supply ammo and they supply armor, which benefits throughout the game, including at the final breeder, because they are then not wasting money on ammo, but protecting me and themselves whilst up close shooting the breeder. - whilst I keep doing ammo + boosters. So luckily most times we don't need a specific person to be shooting the seekers and eggs.

Obviously we will keep turning around for both seekers, scouts, and the eggs. It's always obvious when meteors arrive thankfully, and where abouts, so it's simple enough to take care of.

The rhino's are usually simple enough providing we don't all run everywhere. If we just use the usual "riot shield tactic", we eliminate them all within 30-60 seconds.

Thanks for the pointers; they're really helpful.  I would love to play Nightfall with a guy with the same mentality as yourself but unfortunately there aren't many on PS4 :\.  Can you share any basic/general tips for Nightfall?  We just got the dlc's yesterday so I'm not as experienced with the wave-clearing strategy yet.

DanDanielsonXx

The best way to beat the map is by completing the challenges. Treat each one like it is the only thing that matters... other than the drill of course. This is especially important in the early stages where they are rather easy by comparison to the later challenges.

Pistols: The auto pistol will be your best friend in a pinch. You should really get to level 4 pistols early as well... Regardless of what role you are playing within the team. Not only does it allow you to carry a second weapon for versatility, but also all the ammo that goes with that weapon. Level 4 "ammo drops" go a long way with 3 weapons (ie: Pistol, Maverick, LSAT) . If you opt for Akimbo early on aswell you will not regret it. It turns your weakest weapon into one of the most powerful in the game.

Also... Money dropping. Most new players have no idea that they can drop money for teammates. Just aim down sight (Hold left trigger) and then jump and hold (Press and hold X until you poop out $1000)

If you ever need ammo, boosters, armor, whatever... don't be cheap with your money. Its not real money, its just another team resource. Just be sure to tell the team the reason you are dropping the cash.

Do you have any specific problems so far? I'm kind of guessing about what you know or don't know at this point.

In the end really it depends all on your teammates on how well you perform/how far you will go.  I always play with people who do not use mics and upgrade their class first rather than support items like armor, feral, etc.  In the 3 games that I've played armor and feral were rarely dropped even though I called out multiple times.  The problem really is coordinating with my team since as you mentioned: ammo is a crucial part of the game and should be maxed out by one person early in the game while others should be working on support.

Right now I am trying to find a few organized PS4 Nightfall players who want to work as a team with little communication problems.

DanDanielsonXx

Oh that's simple... "If you don't have a mic... You don't play in this lobby."    Very simple.

Employ that rule faithfully and your gaming experience will improve greatly in extinction.

When you enter a room, look for someone with a mic and invite them into a new room. Together you two can search for more mic enabled players.

Also... I make sure everyone talks to me in the lobby before we start. Come up with a job for everyone and synchronize your loadout so everything is brought into the game.

Playing with randoms with no mics is not worth your time or effort... An extra 10-15mins of searching for teammates is well worth the time and saves you from the frustration you will endure playing with 3 solo players that happen to be on your team.

Personally... I don't like playing with kids either. I call them "Squeakers" due to their high pitched voices that drive me crazy, in addition to their propensity to talk about nonsense and inability to think like an adult. But be careful... some female gamers have similar voices, and are great additions to a team.

x1HxTakeNotez

This is x1HxTakeNotez. Ahhhh, a fellow wall of text strat...lol. Love to see I inspired someone. I too love being the ammo guy. I will usually tell everyone at the start of a game that I am kind of annoying when it comes to ammo. I sometimes throw out to much ammo. And you DO NOT want to be the ammo guy if I am on the team. So many of my friends just told me to take over ammo cause I will ask and ask and eventually yell if there is not being enough ammo thrown out at a good pace. I also see a lot of people play as medic, but i usually take weapon specialist on nightfall. Not trying to tell you how to do anything, but I usually run 1 medic(and the medic has to be a very good player, cause we need them to be the last alive so they can revive people), 1 engineer to baby the drill and keep traps on, and 2 weapon specialist to get LSATs to kill everything and take the breeder down. With that strat, it is hard for me to lose at nightfall. If anyone wants to every play some Extinction with me, I am always down to play it. I'm not an ass or will yell at people. Some people see 10th prestige and think O god he has an ego and is going to boss us around. Yea I'm nice...lol. Its really the only thing I have to play until Titanfall. Hit me up on here or Xbox One if ya want to play. Thanks for the shout-out.

DanDanielsonXx

LOL... thats exactly why I started playing the AMMO MAN role. Its too important to trust anyone else with, even when I relinquish the duty to someone else... I end up taking over the role when my needs aren't being met.

I have been experimenting with all sorts of team load outs lately and I've found that 3 medics and 1 good engineer has been resulting in the most dominate victories. The whole team is so fast and throwing so many team boosters (2 people equip, 1 armor and 1 feral) that the benefits of team regeneration and immunity to scorpion venom has been consistently chosen over the benefits of the added firepower.

I'll try to get some good players together tonight to try your double weapon specialist strategy. It would be nice to play that class again. Unfortunately, I'm still rocking my Xbox360, and was looking to make the switch to PS4 in May so it looks like hooking up for some gaming is going to be tough.

Thanks for contributing to the thread brotha.

All the best,

DanDanielsonXx

Please do consider jumping over to ps4

3 medics and 1 engineer actually makes a lot of sense.  I should try that setup later on.  My question is does the medic class team regen stack?  No, right?  There would be no point in all 3 medics maxing out their class if it does not so that lets 2 of the 3 medics save 3 points each.  Now if only I can get a group going...

x1HxTakeNotez

I use to play 3 medics or even 4 until I found out they don't stack. You get 40% more heath re-gen when you have one and if you have 4 people in the game, it will still only go up to 40%. It won't go to 160%, cause if it did and you used fully upgraded Feral, no one could die. It would be way to over powered. The only reason I say this is cause I watched a live Extinction event with developers of the game and they answered peoples questions on twitter and that was a question I asked and they actually answered. They said it does not stack. Also i asked them which ammo is better explosive or armor piercing and all 4 chose explosive ammo. hope this helped

You guys have been really helpful so far.  Thanks.

I've been thinking about the 3 medic, 1 engineer scenario and the advantage is presents.  My question is how would you guys build that team?  Like who would use which ability and who will raise what first?

Since max medic's global regen does not stack, it would be a little pointless for all 3 medics to max it, right?  At most I'm thinking level 3 would be good enough to avoid the Scorpion gas clouds, which lets 2 of 3 medics save the extra points to put elsewhere.

This is what I've come up with so far... keep in mind this is a very broad team setup.

Engineer: Explosive(no upgrade), Team booster (no upgrade), IMS, Grenade turret - Engineer can focus on levelling class itself and IMS/turret.

Medic 1:  Medic class (3), Explosive (max), Team booster (max), Sentry, Riot shield

Medic 2:  Medic class (3), Explosive(1-3), Armor (max), Sentry, Riot shield

Medic 3: Medic class (4), Explosive (no upgrade), Feral (max), Sentry, Riot Shield

*I notice I do not have the secondary pistol levels on the list*

So how would you guys build this team and which order of skills would you raise first?  Can I have your opinions?

Stinky666

Personally, I really don't see the point of 2 people using Team Booster, if one is not being upgraded. Have one of them (preferably the person not upgrading) get rid of that, and replace it with something, anything: Explosives, but I'd recommend random supplies.

I use Engineer, but it seems my style is different to your Engineer's.

I upgrade ammo + team booster in the first area, then work on pistols to carry two primary.

Personally I don't think that the Engineer's class is needed to be upgraded (to max) until you are towards the end of the compound area, so it's ready for the Weapons Facility. I rarely set traps outside of the facility, nor do my team, unless it's a "spend X amount of money" or "get 10 kills with traps".

Here's what I do and if I am with one other person that is a friend and uses medic:

Me - 1st) Ammo (+4). 2nd) Team Booster (+4). 3rd) Pistols (+3 -  2 primary, for challenges)., 4th) Engineer Class.

Medic Friend - 1st) Armor (+4). 2nd) Medic (+3). 3rd) Pistols (+3 - 2 primary, for challenges). 4th) Anything they want.

Withe the above, we can always carry people because we both constantly drop, both do challenges, and both get plenty of kills to earn enough money back for our team support (armor + booster) and ammo.

If everyone does their Team Support first, except for the ammo person, and that person does ammo first, you shouldn't have too much of a problem

I love being the guy carrying body armor because when i'm about to go down I just throw it down and get it automatically and everyone else gets it too. My usual set up is as follows.

• Specialist
                                                    • Magnums/Grach
                                                    • Body armor / Feral instincts
                                                    • Sentry guns/ Vulture
                                                    • Equalizer/Death machine

I always take specialist because I hate when people don't have the team boosters down whenever I need them and the extra damage is always good. Then my choice of pistol is usually magnums unless I feel like my team sucks because then I just take my fully autos. I usually like to take armor because other people are kinda stingy with that. Also, I can throw it down to save myself to be able to have that extra health and revive someone. If I don't take armor I take feral because the extra regen is always nice when the shields guy decides he wants to go across the map and throw the box on the stairs.... (Personal experience.) The outline it has on all the targets is also nice. The sentry and vulture is just to help me control some of the areas with bucketloads of targets. Then last but not least, the riot shield or death machine is just in case I have some extra cash to throw around and we all have full feral/shields. The other classes are just as important as this one. I consider my job as specialist to cover the medic or engineer when they are reviving or fixing drill. I max my stuff due to situations so if I feel more teambased ill do my armor if im feeling that my team will go thru armor like water I go specialist. Hope this setup helps now go kick some alien butts.