13 Replies Latest reply: Aug 3, 2013 11:44 AM by DemBou RSS

Game searches locally now, this needs to be fixed.

The latest patch caused the game to search locally now, and only locally. (as far as I can see) Might as well remove "Play Online" from the MP main menu and move "Local" to the top of the list.
      For people in the U.S., Russia or some other large landmass this isn't a problem, they can find games in 1-2 seconds flat.
      Very small areas like Guam have no luck. Lack of players here means I'm stuck waiting 10-20 minutes trying to find a lobby with anyone at all in it.

Treyarch, come on guys. Hotfix or patch or something, this needs to be changed back so the game searches for lobbies and matches globally, around the world. If you don't mind, please.

Not hating, just very frustrated. If this is something I can fix on my own, comment and let me know. Any help is appreciated.

P.S.: This problem is on the PS3.

• Re: Game searches locally now, this needs to be fixed.
          WellsNZ

Well this would explain why recently I've suddenly had issues finding games yet have no issues with any other game and no issue on the rare occassion I do actually find a game.

Of course none of the support staff bothered to mention this when I was chatting them.

I had found it odd that when I could actually find a game, almost never, that I'd started being matched up with people who hadn't prestiged or were 1st prestige a lot.

As it stands my only way to reliably find a game is to join a game somebody from my friends list who lives overseas is in.

OGHuxtable

Hi there!

Thanks for all the info- would you mind letting me know what your connection setup is like?

Can you tell me what your connection preferences are set to, and what your speedtest.net results are?

Thanks!

^LM

If you need more help, hit us up on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist or on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist.

WellsNZ

Can you confirm what SecondBanana has posted is accurate in regards to local searches?

Ping: 107ms

Download speed: 7.34mbps

(From my PS3 I get this)
                  Connection Speed (Download): 2.6 Mbps
                  Connection Speed (Upload): 300.7
                  NAT Type: Type 2
                  Wired Connection

(From the Game)
                  NAT: Moderate

I dunno how this will help with the issue caused by the patch, but there's my info. Hope it's... helpful...?
                  Anywho, here's hoping a hotfix or patch comes along that sets the matchmaking straight so it searches for games globally again.

Edit: Here's a thread concerning the same subject: http://community.callofduty.com/message/414633773#414633773
                  There's another thread where someone was complaining about being matched up with foreign players. I understand his complaints, but for players like myself we need to have the ability to play with players around the world (Such as from the U.S.) otherwise we might as well not even play the game. There are too few players here, waiting 20 mins in a lobby is too long.

Please patch that, 3arc! Otherwise nice game.

OGHuxtable

It's very helpful! Was anything else active on your network when you tested on your console?

I ask cause your upload is really low, what was your upload from your PC? I assume you tested on a server overseas, right?

^LM

If you need more help, hit us up on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist or on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist.

WellsNZ

Friday night in my country rolls around and suddenly it's much easier to get into lobbies (though still not as easy as in the past if I branch out to party games etc) because surprise people in my country are online and I played through relatively lag free with 4 bars as usual.

Funnily enough, send a few messages around to friends that live here and the issues they've been having all week weren't quite as bad tonight either, how very odd.

But yeah, it's my connection right, nothing to do with how matchmaking works now or anything like that

At least I actually got to enjoy the game for a bit again, until I go back to times that aren't peak for my area and I can no longer find a game again.

OGHuxtable

Well it sounds like a bit of both; your connection and how our game looks for other players to match you with. I know you showed me your connection's stats earlier, and they certainly wasn't the best.

You mentioning that when it's evening, you can find more games. That's pretty typical with connections that are right at the minimum requirements-connectionwise. The game is going to prefer to match you up with players who are local(usually), since they're going to have a better, faster connection to you.

Like you said, this is peak time, so you're going to have more players to connect to.

I've forwarded your feedback regarding the need to play with other players outside of your country, but I don't have more info beyond that- for now!

^LM

If you need more help, hit us up on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ATVIAssist or on Facebook:https://www.facebook.com/ActivisionAssist.

WellsNZ

Lol so I can play any other game fine, I can play Black Ops 1 fine, I can play this game lag free when I can actually get in a game, I've never had issues until the last patch, other people now having similar problems, but yeah it's the connection. My connection isn't as amazing as you Americans, but still more than sufficient for gaming, as it always has been, as it is for any other game.

Keep burying your head in the sand lol.

This whole peak time argument you are making really just shows that matchmaking has changed. This was NEVER an issue in the past, or was matchmaking always like this and suddenly almost all of the gamers in my country stopped playing Black Ops? no lol.

But that's cool, those of us not in America clearly aren't important.

Fortunately Battlefield continues to work perfectly fine. Well done EA. Decision to pre order Ghost suddenly changing to decision to pre order Battlefield 4 since I can trust it won't magically stop working.

I'm not  Flava Sprinkles OR an Customer Support Agent, but i still would like to point a few things out.

Black Ops 2 uses a P2P (peer 2 peer) connection type this means that if your a "host" you are "hosting" your own server. This can't be changed, however tweeks like what you describe can, and do happen from time to time.

Battlefield 3 uses Dedicated Servers. These cost a bit of money to buy, run, and maintain. This is why Treyarch most likely uses P2P servers.

P2P servers, in theory, can be as good as dedicated servers. This is only possible if a host has a connection and system performance that matches a server.

WellsNZ

and I'll point out a few things to you.

Black Ops 2 worked fine, now it doesn't for several people. Even though Black Ops 1 still works perfectly fine.

Battlefield worked fine, Battlefield continues to work fine.

Customers don't care about your explanation, customers care about things working and not suddenly not working.

I much prefer CoD to Battlefield, but I'll take the game that actually continues to work for me thanks.

I gotta ask, how do you think your playing on a global scale in Call Of Duty?

I'm not sure as to what "consumer" your reffering too, i'm a consumer and like listening to the developers talk about things to save their own rear ends.

as i have already said/hinted...

Black Ops 2 has always had lag/connection problems. Its safe to assume that Treyarch is tweeking the system with each update without mentioning it.

Battlefield uses dedicated servers in which is connected on a global scale. Call of Duty's P2P connection can't do that.

It's not my problem if the game doesn't work, I do not work for Treyarch/Activision, nor do i care if you like Battlefield more. I'm just trying to help.

Same thing happens to me...i live in puerto rico, before the last patch i was doing great i could find matches in the US with no problems...now i spend like 10 minutes to find a lobby and keep playing with same guys...ocaccionally guys from venezuela..and i have my search to "any"

its like Secondbanana said....places like US and russia have no problem cuz the places are huge XD but what about us over seas?