1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next 152 Replies Latest reply: Jul 30, 2013 5:38 AM by rlbl Go to original post Branched to a new discussion. RSS
      • 70. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
        Yppecaye_the_Dogged

Foxhound-Pro wrote:

I understand the logic of "well instead of making art, they could have used the capital/resources to invest in other issues," but I don't support that one bit.

Yeh this sums up my perspective well.  I believe a company's priorities can be deduced from where they ultimately put their money.

If they can manage the game and create more assets to please us and generate revenue, then good on them.

Don't disagree with you here.  But there are assets that generate money that enhance and perfect gameplay, compared to assets that might likewise generate money but also dumb down the game and make it almost cartoonish. 

I think the camos cost little to make compared with the amount of revenue generated (educated guess.)  In short, it was easy money.  This, from a pure profiting standpoint, is the best case scenario.  It is not, however, the best case for those who care about gameplay above all else.   

I've always operated under the idea that correlation is not causation. I always point to this site when I have to explain this.

https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/false-cause

Pirates are a resourceful bunch.  LOL. 

As to the causation v. correlation issue.  Because BOII microtransactions attract mostly younger and less mature players, I believe these assets directly and unmistakably cause  more of those  players. 

It's not the only reason.  There are other causes.  But this certainly is one of them.

• 71. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

I haven't visited these forums in a long time, and I remember why now. Back in the first BO forums, everything was overpowered. Now that we're in BO2, I guess the thing to do is threaten the creators. Really? It realy baffles me that lowering the fire rate of a gun or two can lead to people wanting the life of someone else to end, all because they need to adapt to a new change. I've had problems with the game mechanics before as well, but I've adapted to them since. It's just a game, and these things happen. It will never be perfect, but they're trying what they can to balance it. The purpose of the updates is to fix problems that they see, not to piss off players.

End of rant.

• 72. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

While there are certainly a number of kids who play this game and act immaturely when it comes to expressing their feelings about the game, let's not ignore the fact that many 'adults' act the same way.

Unfortunately, some of these 'adults' are influential and their messages are heard by tens of thousands of followers on YouTube and other social media channels. After watching a couple of video messages to Vonderhaar yesterday from a few of these 'adults', I thought that this could easily get out of control. It's not too surprising that Activision released a statement about this.

• 73. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

Anyone who has ever read any of my posts will know that I go out of my way to make only thoughtful, intelligent remarks or suggestions. Yes their are kids in this game and yes at times very immature. Activision is marketing gamers. They don't get any extra if your young or old. In fact look at what they have done this year alone. They took over the competitive gaming aspect which unless I'm missing something is most the older crowd (18 & up) yea you have some younger ones but not many go ultra competitive.

That being said the split screening is a BIG issue with a lot of people but it is a selling point for families and for those who can't reason to buy multiple systems or games so it's going to stay. I feel it needs a big revamp such as not being allowed in S&D but that's a personal feeling. Anyway my biggest issue is hacking/boosting. I have been one of the last people to get on bored with this idea but I am starting to believe they really have lost the scence of care in taking care of these people whether they're kids or adults.

Example I try to regularly upload YouTube videos. I personally enjoy it as I took college classes in video editing. One thing I have been doing now is recording people boosting and sending this proof straight to the man responsible for the multiplayer security. I never get a response from him and for the longest time didn't think much about it however I recently sent a video to him (on Twitter) and see he resounded to someone that sent him a picture of a racist emblem. While I'm sure this offends people and you want to avoid that I personally feel like it is a small issue compared to circumventing the security policies themselves. I can see this alone being a major issue in making people feel it's more pointed toward a younger crowd however personally I feel that take more interest in the pro gamers and top YouTubers. And their is proof of both of those claims.

• 75. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

well threating someone for a game LOL. but its anyways their own fault cause they knew that ppl would hate this more than like this, some of those "adults" make their living on making entertainment to youtube now its impossible so what would you think if some bold guy in hollywood would take away your job and your hobby? this wont end until they undo a patch and everyone sees that 3arc cod is dying caus they seem not to care anymore! personally i think they made this patch just to get their money from work they didnt patch theatre loosing clips bug in cod tv most popular showing nothing not the connections they just messed up really not balancing or fixing anything, or is it balancing to make bad weapon like dsr more worst? and these camos it takes like 1 day from one guy to make them anyways 3 arc makes millions with them. cod has becamo too creep so it looses it fans and dies if noone in the cod lead starts firing ppl who make this bad decisions!

• 76. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                  ghamorra

Foxhound-Pro wrote:

I remember quite vividly people requesting additional camos in COD4. (I was just a community member then.) Some requests were toungue-in-cheek and othes were similar to what we see today. How far back do we have to go to establish the "mature" crowd? Because many seem to think that COD4 was the greatest thing ever and the Eden of design. The problem? Requests from then are still popping up now for various reasons.

Again, I don't think it's so much that camos are an immature element, they're not beccause they're just camos. However, when camos are focused on and fancy flashy elements are focused on, CoD stops focusing on nuturing mature play.

I'll dare to go there, but QSing is a very immature element. More little kids quickscope than any other demographic. sniping is a mature element. It's the classic most accurate use of a sniper. Black Ops II focused more on QSing than on sniping. You'll find very few dominating sniping posts in Black Ops II however you can find endless advantages to using snipers are close quarter weapons.

• 77. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers

It has nothing to do with age, it has to due with everyone's ability to hide behind a online ID. With that ability there is no accountability to how a person is able to conduct themselves. Even if banned creating another account is an easy process as some have done as regulars who post on the forums currently. We as a society have bred this into our way of life, using the excuse hat it is our right. There are not enough consequences for individuals who continuously abuse the rule or blatantly disregard them. Do I believe heating people is right, NO I don't, but at the same time you have to expect and accept the fact that there are degenerates in this world and they will say or write whatever they want since you cannot touch them, and until there are consequences it going to get worse and worse.

• 78. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                      ghamorra

Call of Duty is widely considered to have the most immature and toxic community of any online game. I have to agree, the majority of this community will immediately harass people before a word is even spoken.

• 79. Re: Activision releases a statement about the CoD community making threats against the developers
                        jeepchick

It has nothing to do with age, it has to due with everyone's ability to hide behind a online ID. With that ability there is no accountability to how a person is able to conduct themselves. Even if banned creating another account is an easy process as some have done as regulars who post on the forums currently. We as a society have bred this into our way of life, using the excuse hat it is our right. There are not enough consequences for individuals who continuously abuse the rule or blatantly disregard them. Do I believe heating people is right, NO I don't, but at the same time you have to expect and accept the fact that there are degenerates in this world and they will say or write whatever they want since you cannot touch them, and until there are consequences it going to get worse and worse.

^THIS

Assuming that someone online is a child simply because they are acting like one is a mistake. Most of the asshattery I encounter is produced by adults - not children.

1 6 7 8 9 10 Previous Next